What the Hell Can I Do to Get Better With This Character?

<font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>Seriously, Ammy is the weak link on my team as an anchor or otherwise and I have no idea what to do about it. I like the way I play Doom/Ammy but I feel completely helpless when Ammy comes in, especially without X-Factor.</span></font><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”><br></div><div style=“font-family: Arial, Verdana; font-size: 10pt; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal;”>I could list all my weaknesses with her, but here’s a stream archive from the other day:</div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>http://www.twitch.tv/teamkhaos/b/373124369</span></font><br></div><div><font face=“Arial, Verdana” size=“2”><span style=“line-height: normal;”>My matches (where I play Ammy) are at 6:31:00, 6:59:53 (an awful loss in which my Ammy did no work iirc), and 8:05:30. (I had some other wins with a Hulk team). Some feedback would be awesome.</span></font></div>

I didn’t watch all of it but here are my thoughts

1. Your other characters need work as well, and i’m not saying this to be disrespectful but it is relevant. If you have a support heavy shell, you need to be prepared to win with your first 1/2 characters and just accept that you lost if you get down to your last character.

2. Again, going back to my first point, Doom/Ammy is prone to pop XF2+all of their remaining meter to get the kills and try to close out the game, make sure your THC setups are airtight and guaranteed if you’re going to do this, the THC is old and many people know how to beat at least the beginner mixups that come from it. If you leave Ammy with no XF, no meter, you can’t possibly expect her or any other anchor to make the comeback, you really should have won at this point if you dumped that many resources into a kill. Manage your resources better and make it count when you do use them.

3. In the case that you did pop XF, and burn most of your meter, you will want to consider trying to tag in Ammy safely at some point if you haven’t won. You can fix Ammys damage problem through TAC infinites and she gets some easy instant overhead setups with missiles, or at the least, you can clear the screen for her to get in/air dash in with Plasma Beam. If you manage a hit, you get probably another 3-5 bars after hitting a TAC infinite with Doom and you really should win after that.

4. If you’re really committed to actually making your ammy better, play her on point for your next couple of sessions, it will force you to actually learn how to space well with her and how to go about matchups as she is a very matchup dependent character. I didn’t see much of your Ammy at all but just learn her XF2/3 infinite, learn how to setup fuzzy guards/pressure with IAOs, and how to patiently inch your way in with an assist behind her. With XF3, you really need to just rely on Veil to get your hits, with Veil, people aren’t going to press buttons, and they aren’t going to want to take the high/low mixups on the ground, and you just have to keep in mind that your opponent is thinking “I want to hold up”, so just be prepared to clip their toes or get that instant air throw into infinite. I know that doesn’t help and sounds vague but theres no magic answer on how to play X character better, you really just need to grind out the matchup experience with her.

Thanks for the input.

1, 2) It’s definitely relevant, and I’m realizing now that I need to ensure kills with Nova and Doom more often. I have to work on not getting stuck with Ammy XF because I really don’t know how to gain momentum with her at all. That said they generally get more work done in casuals, these were just especially bad matches.
3) That’s a good idea, and I think Doom is better in back without XF. I just wish Plasma Beam was better for her, but I’m not going to use missiles just to help Ammy since they’re mediocre at best for Nova.
4) Good idea too, I was running a point Ammy team for a while to learn her but it was different than what I have now so I’ll give it a shot with Nova in the back. I practice her XF infinite and set up IO’s, I just rarely get to do it in matches since I have trouble getting in. I do need to use Veil more too; I took that advice and tried it in casuals last night and it worked really well. Catching people jumping seems to be her best bet.

Also, how do I use the glaive and rosary in neutral more effectively? I like using glaive with cancels to stall in the air and fake my downward descent, but actually starting offense with it seems tough. And all I can do well with the rosary is read when people are going to jump forward with M Cold Star, no idea how to really utilize the ground H normals or if they’re even worth using.

Anyway thanks again, hopefully I can come back with improved match videos in the future.

You can check my UMvC3 Amaterasu guides if you need more assistance too :slight_smile:

Some great advice in here. I as well like the doom/ammy core and feel that ammy solo is the weak link. Fact of the matter is, I prefer sinking resources into the THC strategy. I will be watching this thread too.

Disco - in glaive form, I’ve found success with option selecting air H with airthrow. If you get the hit in an air to air OR air to ground situation, you can do a simple launch combo into MMS, DF+H, xfactor cancel and do the infinite. The infinite pretty much fills all combo holes as long as you didn’t already pop xfactor.

TenguEgg was right when he said we need to accept that if we are whittled down to meterless, xfactorless ammy we can’t expect to win.