What Stick/Controller Should I Buy? Read the Guide on Pg 1 Before Posting

So, now for the real decision =P
Mad Catz SE €50 ~ $70
HRAP BlazBlue €70 ~ $100

Now there are some things I don’t like about the Blazblue stick (=HRAP 3?):

• The case is blue
  • It doesn’t have the vewlix button layout but the japanese arcade layout
  • It’s harder to mod than the SE (not sure how much harder)

Now, I’ve read that the HRAP 3 is an overall better controller but estethics and comfort are important to me too.
So, is there a way to easily change to color of the case and I’ve read that the vewlix button layout is "better"overall and easier/more comfortable to use.

From what I’ve read the HRAP 3 is say… a tier above the SE. Is that true?
I’ll probably put sanwa buttons and stick in the SE anyway so is it worth the extra 30 dollars?

I’m looking for help picking a stick. I’m just playing MvC3 and Mortal Kombat. I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro V3-SA. It’s an okay stick but I’m wanting to try out the either the SSFIV stick or the MvC3 stick. I hear the SSFIV stick is good so that is what I’m looking at. I’m wondering how it handles? My main problem with this Hori stick is that the inputs feel too close together. I’m actually just looking for any good fighting stick suggestions. Nothing crazy that I have to mod myself but something that is good and reliable, that I can get in the store/online.

You can always Paint the case the color you want. Strip all the parts out first, and you can paint the case. There 2 ways of going about this, Sand, primer and your color coat and mite want after include a clear coat, or you can use a product called vinyl dye. Vinyl dye only works on clean non-painted surfaces and it does not work well on Acrylic or Plexy glass. It works well on Vinyl (obviously), ABS Plastic, and most of the harder plastics a stick case body is made from. I am not sure about PVC Plastic. I seen Vinyl dye work on Mad Catz, Hori, Sega and Nintendo Products (I painted a NES with Vinyl dye). Unlike Vinyl dye Actual paint can be used to easier paint different designs and multiple colors on the same piece of plastic. There is a guide on painting on tech talk, I suggest you find and read it.

As for Layout, there is no right or best layout for everyone, it is personal preference.
For example: some people swear by the MK layout for MK, I hate it. I prefer the 2nd Player Sega layout, some people like the straight Capcom layout, others like Veiwlix.

From my understanding the TE series handles pretty well. I only include modding info on each stick just to help people decide what they want. Modding is completely optional. On a Te Modding for the most part is more cosmetic than it is performance. Although some people are more comfortable with Seimitsu over Sanwa. This is more of a personal preference , like what you like to drink more, Coca Cola, Pepsi or RC Cola.

water please! coke hurts my tummy! :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL

it’s true though…i’m into the “healthy” lifestyle so i don’t drink pop/soda and everyone once in a while i end up drinking some coke and it tastes disgusting and then i get a horrible stomach ache…so sad…lol.

The soda comment is an analogy for the different brands of arcade parts out there. If Sanwa is Coke, and Seimitsu is Pepsi, Crown would be RC Cola, that makes Happ Deer Park Spring Water. IL would be Evian or maybe Fiji Spring Water, LOL.

I’m disabled with Duchenne’s MD and require very sensitive controls. I need a TE stick because it’s easy to mod. True, it’s more of a cosmetic mod but you can easily take the JLF out of it and mod the actual JLF stick with say a D44X Cherry Micro Switch mod. I need a sensitive stick so putting a single LS-33 spring is easy to add to a JLF without even having much experience with taking anything apart. Same with the type of gates it uses. I’ve heard of Seimitsu sticks being put inside it as well without too much effort and if you want light up buttons, depending on your skill, is easy to install Seimitsu clear buttons with a sparky or a mc cthulhu for dual compatibility. I guess my point is that it’s easy to work with. I didn’t have any trouble with swapping parts out and I can barely lift my arms at all. Very easy. Everything pretty much drops right in. I just like those sticks a lot. They get along with me and feel comfortable on my hands. I’ve been exploring other sticks to fit inside both styles of these sticks as well. My latest is to fit an LS-33 stick in one. I feel it’s a good stick to explore modding with. If you’re a beginner and break it, there’s tons of people on-line just waiting for your money to fix one.

Guide Update. Qanba section updated.
TE Section Corrected.
Still need to correct Sega Section.

No more sticks will be added unless the stick is a new release.

Thinking of stickying this.

I think it already is. The “What Stick Should I Buy” Thread is linked to this one.

I mean actually stickying it instead of just having it in the info thread. This way people who simply want to ask can see the thread immediately.

It’s definitely going to be a new link in the newbie dojo sticky. It’s so thorough I might just delete my “which stick should I buy” writeup and link this instead.

lol, that would be right up my alley, IL parts are my favourite to play on.

This has been stickied. A big thanks to Darksakul!

Ooh, new MadCatz stick incoming. Looks like more work for Lukas.

For people getting it on eBay or something:
Ease of Mod: 1

Source: I own two HRAP 2 SA’s.

Keep in mind, since there was a lot of typing, I copy and paste each entry and edit the content afterwards, it was very easy to miss incorrect information, like me calling the HRAP 2 SA lower quality than it should be.

I saw the new Mad Catz Pro Edtion stick, Red and white Capcom X Namco. I been debating how to go about this stick. Obviouisly I left out alot of collector items.
All the game theme Hori sticks, like the Arcana Heart or the Tekken Stick as buyers now have to go out of their wait to find them. Same with the Comic-Con and the Femme Fatale TE stick, The Dreamcast Agetec Stick and both Hori HRAP Twin Sticks (Virtual-On) $400 for a stick that is for only 2 games goes outside of Beginners range. How available this stick becomes and if I can find some reliable feed back for the stick will determine if I include it or not.

Yes I ended up including both TE S sticks, as although limited they were available enough for consideration.

I needed some advice on what are the best pads out there for PS3/360 respectively

I’m definitely a pad warrior, and jumping to stick is something I’m not interested in. I am, however, interested in upgrading from the SFIV fightpads (I have one for PS3 and 2 for 360).

What really are the best pads overall for both systems? Ive heard good things about the new MvC3 pad for 360, and the neogeo branded one for ps3 looks legit, but I honestly don’t know. Note that I dont like the 360 default controller at all…ps3 default is ok but I want to find something more comfortable

Hard to say honestly, different styles of d-pad fits for different people preferences.
I personally do not care for the thumb stick the PDP fight pad (or as you call it the MvC3 pad which is isn’t*) or the Neo Geo pad possesses.

Lets see, you do not care for the Mad Catz Fight pads, so lets rule them out.

Other options (all wired in & no particular order)

Xbox 360 Hori Turbo Pad EX 2
PS3 Hori Fighting Commander 3
(Official) USB Sega Saturn Pad (for use on PC and PS3). There alot of Cheap knock offs for this one so they are hard to spot.
Original (type S) Sega Saturn pad with Adapter
PS2 Sega Saturn Pad with Adapter (rare) with a adapter
Nubytech Street Fighter II 15 Anniversary Edition fight pad PS2 and original Xbox + Adapter.
Original Nintendo SNES pad with Adapter
Mad Catz Xbox 360 Call of Duty Pad
Regular Mad Catz Xbox 360 Pad Model 4716
The After Glow Xbox 360 and PS3 pads
Logitech’s Xbox 360 and PS3 Pads

Out of that list I prefer the Sega Saturn pad (ether Saturn or PS2 version) and Nintendo SNES pad, but realistically I would recommend the 2 Hori pads. The Hori Turbo pad EX 2 for the Xbox 360 ($30 to $35) and the Fighting Commander 3 for the PS3 ($37 to $49). Prices are what I saw on Amazon and eBay.

*Note. the PDP pad was licensed by Marvel but not Capcom so they are not the MvC3 pad. Recently due to legal issues, PDP dropped the marvel theme and made there pads all black for PS3 or all white for the Xbox 360. Also F.Y.I. PDP was once known as Pelican.