What should I practice? (Prepping for TTT2 w/ T6)

Only ever played Tekken casually, and most of my experience comes from 6 and 2 (years and years ago.)

Main point, I want to be ready to play TTT2 competitively, or at least not be a fish out of water – What should be on my check list to be ready to focus on the new elements of TTT2 when it lands?

If it matters at all (for you folks already playing TTT2), probably going to be using some mix of Lars, Miguel, Bryan, and Yoshimitsu.

The games are not substantially different and most of the characters don’t change dramatically [save like T6 Hwo -> TTT2 T6 Steve -> Unlimited and probably a few others; I hear yoshi is good now, but only like 1 guy plays him anyway] Additionally the system isn’t overhauled very much either, except for tagging [which has a few nuances] nothing particular comes to mind.

So I would say just learn and play T6, it transfers over about as well as playing SF4 -> SF4:AE would. Beginner things to figure out are a chars combos and punishes, unsafe and safe moves. Then movement [BDC and SS] and spacing. I always advise Lars as a starter character because he has excellent all around moves and no particular weaknesses

Get Tekken Hybrid >_>’ get familiar with Tag Assault unless you going to use 1 character still then you don’t need to worry about anything.

Thats generally it.

if you have fundamentals, you will always be competitive:

korean backdash (esp. with bryan,) sidestep cancelling, sidewalking, throwbreaks

other than the basics, learn your characters’ ranges, and get a feel for their meta. but the best thing you can do to prepare yourself is to work on the aforementioned basics

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgWheN3p0jSGygUrwqJVq6dQ93A99k5efeE5ggUrIHbx7innQa

http://www.levelupyourgame.com/tekken-throw-break-trainer/

I think there is a App version too so yeah, do this when your board and practice using Tekken Hybrid to experiment with Tag Assault and Tag Crash.

I personally think Noodle’s throw break trainer is better to start on. You can customize what sort of grabs come up and from one side, as well as the speed/framerate of the grabs to gradually increase your reaction to it. It’s a lot better for beginners, although i’ll say Rip’s is good later on simply due to character variety. It trains you to see throws coming from characters besides just Xiaoyu.

Here’s noodals throw break trainer: http://www.mediafire.com/?8dn8bbr1r1p18e6

Aside from that, I think movement is a much bigger thing to work on in Tekken, like BDC, sidestepping and whatnot. Learn about the low/high crush system, and low parries. I mean, you SHOULD know the combos but i find generally the combos in Tekken are a lot easier, but the focus isn’t on them imo. Just have a staple juggle/wall-carry combo or two and focus on the rest.

I played about a week of Tekken 5DR 4 years ago and loved it, and now SFxT has gotten me super pumped for TTT2, but it’s release is so far away. Is Tekken 6 similar enough to TTT2 so that a beginner can get accustomed to the gameplay and not be at a total loss when the newest entry is released? I saw 6 really cheap so I was looking to pick it up to see if I find 3D fighters fun enough to make a serious push into them. Good idea?
Do the movesets of characters like Leo, Bob, and Steve change significantly between the two games?

^ Yeah the games are similar enough for u to be able to jump on TTT2 an be alright From what I’ve seen the movesets don’t change too much per se, u get property changes an some additional moves but if you’re familiar with said character it won’t be a huge change. generally speaking anyway an there will likely be more adjustments for the console release.

In the same position myself, movement is at the centre of everything, baiting, spacing, controlling range, punishin an more. Backdashing, side step cancelling etc.You’re gnA wanna know your Punishes an main tools - Bob’s Df+2, 212 ( been a while though those are just examples.)

Ima wrap it up but to sum up:
Movement
Movement
Work out optimal range for your char
Main pokes an safe/unsafe tools.
Movement.

Movement is super useful, will take a minute to really get to grips with an transfers over to the new hotness (TTT2) whereas moves an frames are subject to changes… so don’t get too caught up in
other stuff.

Tekkenzaibatsu for comprehensive changes,YouTube for platitudes an http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=443772 for overview.

New phone so might b a lil disjointed, hope it helps tho.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the input folks – sorry I completely forgot I made this. o.o

Throw breaks are something I can definitely grind out learning. What exactly is side step canceling and I know Bryan has his backward sway/dash – how does that work for all of the characters? Is that the 441 thing?

ss cancelling is just sidestep into block. you must use intuition and decide whether you want to sidewalk or ss cancel. sidewalk will evade more but the extra up motion means you start blocking a lot later. ss cancel will evade a lot less but it’s safer.

most characters you can get away with backdash cancel shortcut which is qcb,b repeated, but characters with backsways will need very precise commands (b,b,d repeated) in order to backdash cancel. if you watch closely, a lot of bryans outside of top-tier asian players will stair-step (backdash, sidestep, backdash, sidestep, etc…) because they’re too lazy to learn how to BDC with his sway. i know it’s a lot of work but learning how to BDC is pivotal in high level play. it’s the main thing stopping people from just running up and bullying you with frame traps and such.

refer to this video to see how proper backdashing with bryan looks:

[media=youtube]owv11JIMBo4[/media]

I remember that throw break trainer, I think. Been so long… and I never got good at it lol.

I’m pretty much re-learning Tekken on stick now (used to play pad only), so this will be an excellent tool for me as well.

well Roknin~ just make sure you BDC is consistent on stick. that’s the first big step in converting from pad to stick…well movement in general, including special actions and stuff…people more often then not, get caught with shit they never seen before so it pays off to be gimmicky at times…but never go to the well too many times…most gimmicks are unsafe. Safe to say it amazes me to see people get hit with Alisa’s Skyrocket Upper…

Personally because of hybrid, I’m actually learning Ling(something i’d though i would never do) and Alisa(I love robots man). Getting used to Tag Assault is fun too, even though they are max damage fillers and bnb’s right now, it’s just fun doing whatever with tag assault( kind like early SFxTK to a extent) but yeah, learning tekken can be a chore at times…and it is a grind…but what isn’t these days…

I need to post me and my friend’s online matches from a couple months back. I get hit by his gimmicks all the time but that’s largely because we play each other so much lol.

But yes indeed, that’s what I’m working on. The other day I semi “gave up” and went back to pad, god it felt good… but I actually really want to learn Tekken on a stick so I’m not stick in a bad situation when I start really going back to tourneys and such for TTT2. BDC isn’t so bad though, just have to get used to how lightly to tap up to sidestep away and not get a jump instead. >.>

getting jump inputs is fairly common~ it’ll eventually go away completely and you get crisp backdashes. That and sidestep canceling from backdashes takes alittle time to get used to and to do on reaction to a move is important…thats how you can do dumb shit like Alisa’s Boot (4) and get a high damage juggle.

Was gonna post a similar topic, but thankfully found this. So if I practice w/ Yoshimitsu and Devil Jin in Tekken 6, I should be fine for TTT2, right? Its not like moveset will be drastically different in TTT2. Are the bnb combos different in TTT2 as opposed to T6, for those characters?

Refer to here if you’d like the rundown on what has changed for your characters in the transition:

Devil Jin
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121087

Yoshi
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=121082

I believe most, if not all characters have new staple juggles and updated combos, and of course you’ll need to practice and learn your team specific combos. Lots of room for possibilities

Aside from adjusting to the changes/new moves and combos, the basics with your characters will remain the same, it’d make a lot of sense to keep practicing with your characters in T6, along with the fundamentals of the game

I have been playing Tekken 6 non stop. It consumes my gaming life. I think of it when I wake up and I dream of it in my sleep. I have been playing serious about it from 21 months and only really 9 of those months have I really started to crank up my game. I am always on PSN at least 3 times a week and I treat the training room like a gym regime. I get in there once a day and I practice different things each day. The funny thing is only now am I starting to transition from mastering my character, Kazuya, to actually match up knowledge.

If you really wanna learn Tekken and are transitioning form other games Jack is a great choice. He teaches you the fundamentals of the game and will bring you great results without the need for killer execution. Lars is definitely a strong character that caters to SF players that love to push buttons to control space. He has tools that most characters lack. Miguel also has these things but he is has higher risks and a lack luster grab game, but his poke game, wall carry and lauchers are very good. I know nothing about Yoshi expect that he is very unsafe for such a low damaging character. He can be quite tricky to hit sometimes. Bryan on the other hand… He is very execution heavy and if you lack good fundamentals you will find it a hard road to walk on. For example, as a new player your back dash canceling my not be up to snuff and you will get a sway, or snake dash, when you don’t want one. On the flip side his damage is RIDONKULOUS! and getting better with him won’t take you as long as say, Kazuya or Jin.

I hope to see players from SF transition into Tekken. I know most will quit but if you stick with it you will feel rewarded on so many levels.

On a side note. If you choose the road of the Mishima, it will be a hard one, but it will be the most enlightening.