What REALLY makes Akuma Broke?

I feel he does have a small chance: the MAO-like dives should work in terms of messing up reversals, but Akuma has invulnerable tatsus which can help him against meaty ones, if they happen to come out. And there’s the mini-Dhalsim gameplay of Claw’s when he stays grounded. Still, if one bothers to master him there’s just no way to pressure him effectively.

Akuma has always been a retarded character. Introducing him was probably ST’s major flaw: it has cursed the SF franchise forever with this scrub-magnet.

I meant that phrase as “Claw isn’t nearly as over-powering a character as Akuma.” Claw’s a pretty damn good character. Which means Akuma is beyond all hope when it comes to competitive balance.

Akuma borrowed money from old school and never paid him back. On top of that, akuma stole old schools gf. Lolsaltlolz.

Leave the past where it belongs!

It’s funny, because some random guy recently was asking in casuals about akuma. We knew everything we had but wewere choosing him to show the guy for shits and giggles. And as we were playing we realized we were missing so much broken stuff that we were rediscovering as we were playing. there’s too many bullshit strategies with akuma that are just way too strong. if one fails you have like 4 ways to regain your footing and try again, and if it still doesn’t work you have like 5 other brpken strategies you can try.

I’m just gonna leave these here.

First time I reached Akuma on an arcade cab was jokes. I did a Shinkuu, he ate one hit then teleported through the rest and fucked me up.

I say we introduce something like ST akuma in terms of balance into some of these newer games… Show them what something REALLY should be before even being considered for banning. Put things in perspective

I havent followed ST for about a year and other games for even longer. But then i heard about chris Gs morrigan and doom shit and the hate hes getting im thinking tey really have no reason to complain that much yet… And its also the kind of bullshit that ST thrives on.

People aren’t used to encountering extremely powerful characters or shells that actually take WORK to figure out how to overcome. This is nothing new to old-school gamers, since we didn’t have a patch to rely on to change the game. This is different with the SF4 and newer generations that are used to constantly seeing games change based on how loud scrubby 14-year-olds whine about it.

Exactly. Why work to overcome a matchup? Itll get easier after the next patch.

Why work to develop a new strategy? If i win too much with it. It wont work after the next patch.

It doesnt help when i fall behind on a game and try to catch up either. You dont know what information is outdated or not. I can never “catch up” like i did wih ST. Or right now vampire savior. When i find information, i know it has value or is applicable to the game. Because it hasnt changed.

New school kids seem to think balances within a year is perfectly fine because “the game evolves faster than before” because of the spread of information. Except that thats not entirely true. Its not just information. People need to put the information to practice. And they have to practice it. Alot. Against human players. And they also need to give time for more strategies to develop. As well as counter-counter strategies. And all these things need to interact with each other. A lot. On a high level.

I bet chris Gs team will be nerfed. Which sucks becausethats the kind of team and gameplay that can make a game evolve and have greater depth. Peoplenwill say but everyone will choose that team. I say LET THEM. You need many people whove mastered that team so until someone…

You know. His rambling has given me so many things I want tonarticulate in an article. Similar ideas thatbhave been around since forever but articulated differently. With examples and illustrations and predictions. Ill probably type it up at home and post on another forum for feedback agree/dissagree when inget home andnhave a proper keyboard tontypebwith rather than this crummy touch screen…

Yes. Mvc2 has only a few viable teams. But it ended upnthat way after years and years of competitive play. The best players i think always have been up to date with the newest information. Mvc2 wasnt exacly so far back that information mainlynpassed throug word of mouth and isolated in communities. Bah. Rambling again and more typos because if this screen. Ill stfu till i get home since this is off topic anyway.

Nothing really makes him broken unless he dizzies you because he doesn’t have a dizzy animation… I challenge all Akumas!!!

Never really understood why people get so fixated on not being able to be stunned instead of the myriad other bullshit he has.

This is not true at all. In the very first place, the number of people actively playing SF4 is less than 1/10th of the people playing SF2 20 years ago. And offline play is mostly dead.

Since the thread’s been necro’d, I’m a little surprised his ridiculous normal moves didn’t make the list here.

Really? Majority of Akuma’s normals are Old Ryu’s normals as well.

Huh. I guess I have HDR on the brain. O. Ryu can jump kick people out of uppercuts too.

yes, at max range. we affectionately call it the “Damdai” kick. Since he uses it so effectively.

hi rufus, long time no see buddy.

Actually, it’s pretty standard. It’s basic CPS-1 stuff that you can not punish those after jumping over a projectile. The difference is you whiff the SRK entirely in CPS-1 SF2. It must be used in such situations (when they can’t move) because you get countered by all characters if you jump in honestly from that distance and they are free to move.

Yes this is true, but there are some key differences between Akuma and O.Ryu. Primarily, Akuma’s far Roundhouse and far Forward are much better than O.Ryu, the blue hitbox on his RH is smaller and the red hitbox on his Forward is bigger.

Also Akuma’s startup on his fireballs are almost invincible (the blue hitbox is the same size but is much farther back), he can actually use it as a reversal to avoid some meaty attacks like Zangief’s far Short.

I better start putting more miles on my akuma.