What makes SF4 a "bad" series?

These are real problems, just explained very poorly, because people can “feel” the problems but can’t put them into words very well. Were I to give you the good explanations for them you may end up agreeing.

For example let’s take the claim “moves are too easy”. It’s really not about how the input window for special move motions is bigger. (Unless talking about overlapping motions like jumping backwards, doing a qcf move and getting an SPD with Hakan, but this is not the issue talked about here.)

What they are probably trying to say is this: (taken from the “why veterans hate SF4” article I’m working on)
“Defensive actions are too easy in that they lack the need for commitment. In other games when you want to DP someone during his attack, you have to predict exactly where you think the hole is and commit to it by dropping your guard at that exact moment in order to do the motion. In sf4 the input can be spammed w/o the need to guess where the hole is, and you don’t risk anything since you keep blocking automatically when there’s no hole. In other games when you want to not get countered, you just need to mix your attack patterns. But in SF4 all burden is on the attacker, because in that game the only real solution to this is to drop your attack completely and wait for it. Which in turn makes for a very defensive game where momentum doesn’t bear any value.”

As a 3S player you probably noticed people don’t mash parries and dragon punches and supers while in hit stun or block stun. BECAUSE IT SIMPLY DOESN’T WORK IN OTHER GAMES THAN SF4.

Cant wait to read some of the SRK thread White Knight Postings for this topic.

To start of just wana say I loved SF4 all the way to Super. I came from a Alpha backround, didn’t really get into SF3.

OK,

If you think there’s nothing Shady about SF4 Game Mechanics it must of been your first fighting game.

I second everything he said. Save me the time from typing alot.

I even agree with what he said about Rufus and I mained him next to Bipson.

I also feel Characters like Seth & Viper can exploit alot of the cast options to a hilarous degree. There not unbeatable but as much as I hate to use the word cheap… well not gonna go there. Also, it’s no just scrubs or noobs or whatever saying this. There’s a number of top players that think the same way

9:29 F. Champ Talks about Viper & What Japan thinks about the character
[media=youtube]bmkPwgkzMZY[/media]
“I spoke to Mago and he said Fuck Viper”
"Tokido said Viper Scrub’

Lastly, the bumpy ass road of uncompromising Nerfs & Buffs this game went through has turned me off away from the series.

Funny, I dont play shotto’s and I think the shottos Air Hurricane Kick Nerf was Stupid As Shit. Its been in all SF’s and has never been a hectic problem.

From there for me it stopped filling like SF.

Didn’t Latif, the best Viper, come out and say she’s not a true SF character? That testimony is “/thread” worthy.

You know, the 4f reversal window wouldn’t be so much of a problem if the game wouldn’t keep “rolling” it everytime you try to mash out uppercuts and what not. If the game would give you just a single chance to make your reversal and all subsequent mashing would be invalid and not counted towards it, it could kind of work. I hope this maked sense.

But other than that, easy inputs/shortcuts, stupid nerfs, fadc, comeback mechanics, yadda yadda. Nobody won’t care, remember or play SF4 10 years from not, when instead something like ST is forever :blush:

I know wolfkrone plays viper because he feels it’s a character that isn’t required to play “street fighter” and she can do basically what she wants. A really good Abel player I talked to also said that he plays that character because he just likes rolling the dice and doing random 50/50s. Pretty much a lot of the problems with this game come down to the SF4 original characters.

-reversal window
-input buffer
-backdash
-focus attack
-too much invincibility
-armor
-ultras
-game is ugly
-game is slow
-game is floaty

game is bad…but I think SFXT will be good cause it’s making SF so stupid that it’s coming full circle and becoming good (sorta like Marvel)

edit:
forgot:
-terrible music
-no blockstun
-ez mode hit confirms

The only problem I have with SFIV is mashing. But I welcome anyone to list games that didn’t have any of these other problems or at least less than SFIV has. A popular phrase is “it doesn’t feel like SF anymore.” Sorry, that’s bullshit…no matter how you look at it, the only character that suffers from this is Viper (because of her feints.) That doesn’t mean she can do whatever she wants to do, either. For every top player that hates SFIV, you can find another that likes it. Finally, some people feel that variety is a problem? Why? One character is always going to be better than the rest unless the game is boring as hell. Might as well use that fact to your advantage and deal with the fact that some characters are going to be less “SF” oriented. They might end up dominant, but with this game, that doesn’t mean you don’t stand a chance. Kind of starting to sound like the Smash Brothers community…

[details=Spoiler]By the way, SF3 is the least “street fighter” game in the series. Doesn’t mean that it’s a bad game, but it’s not SF when you compare it to the rest of the titles.

And yeah, SFIV is ugly as fuck.

edit #2454: Real talk, this game does have problems. But the way people are putting it…are not the actual problems. Like for example, people don’t like Seth because he can exploit characters wake up so well. This is a problem not because Seth doesn’t play SF, but because Seth hasn’t had to respect other characters’ wake up options since Super dropped the damage so low while keeping Seth’s relatively the same (buffing it with AE, in fact.)
tl;dr: One of the real problems is that the developers nerfed damage too much.

I guess what I’m getting at…is if you don’t like SFIV because it has “8 way guessing games”…you’re either lying or wording your post wrong. Because SF2 had just as much bullshit, but the real difference was that you lost when you got knocked down.[/details]

Seth

Cause it’s better than 3S at least.

I am yet to meet someone who thinks that way who actually knows how to play SF2. With very few exceptions, 09’ers and such just do not understand SF2. They do not know how to play, they do not know what kind of blockstun to expect, what kind of recovery to expect, what kind of counters to fear. So of course they do not understand why SF4 does not play like SF.

Face it, not matter what the developers do, people will ALWAYS find something to complain about. What if the game was just like SF2 in every way? We’d then have people complaining that its too much like SF2! People would complain about the graphics if they went the realism route, people would complain about execution if it was tighter, people would complain that the game is too fast if it was faster, people would complain if the game was too balanced, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I think there really is issues with the game ( and I agree with Juicebox on several things as well ) but complaining about it all the time is not constructive.

Street Fighter IV is what you get when you put Super Turbo, Alpha 2, and 3rd Strike in a blender, add shit and grounded-up Good & Plenty, and turn it on with the speed setting to “Low”

it’s just that you can get away with a lot more bullshit in Street Fighter IV than in the other SF games

What the heck does that even mean?

I think everyone in their mind thinks they should be better than they really are. Seems like a symptom of the last decade or so, complain about the game rather than work on your problem areas. For instance, complaining about mashing? Still? Really? Some of you haven’t picked up that your opponent mashing is incredibly exploitable yet? If this is the type of complaint you have, what you’re really saying is you’re not smart enough to adapt.

People complaining about graphics are the worst. This should be the one genre that’s not taken over by easily impressed graphic kids. God damn, give me gameplay in my fighters over graphics any day.

So like, no Throws? No sweeps? And not every character should have 6 buttons for 6 different attacks?

If you don’t mind me asking, why good and plenty?

What I like:
[LIST]
[]Dudley
[
]Orange Dudley
[*]Kokujin Dudley
[/LIST]

What I dont like:
[LIST]
[]Ridiculous invincibility on everything
[
]Armor Canceled Ultras
[/LIST]

because Good & Plenty is yuck

that’s just me though, your mileage may vary

hah, I’d love to throw down a play by play on why I like street fighter but I’m pretty sure most of the people in this thread are just going to shout me down. it’s worth trying anyway

1. I think it looks great.
  2. Vega is in it =D
  3. I love the sense of impact from hitting with shit like stand roundhouse.
  4. Tons of characters.
  5. More slow and deliberate than KOFXIII, for that reason it can become incredibly tense.
  6. Great balance
  7. Big emphasis on footsies because of all the different buttons you can press.
  8. Great variety in character playstyles.
  9. Focus attacks are cool because they don’t instantly invalidate most zoners like SF3 did with parry.
  10. It feels more ‘fair’ to me in general because you don’t ever get the opportunity to blow someone up in 1 hit like every other fighting game out there. On top of that, it’s pretty difficult to get a huge opening without winning a crucial mindgame. Most characters feel ‘safe’ most of the time and hence a lot of your damage comes from who can space their shit better.
  11. I don’t mind mashing, if someone wants to reversal because they think you’re gonna go in by all means they should be able to. It’s more unsafe than it is safe, contrary to what all the scrubs think about FADC.
  12. People always say they don’t like SF because nobody feels “Strong” but I feel that’s a good thing. for the most part you’re constantly working for your damage or mixup potential.
  13. I like the emphasis on neutral game more than rushdown.

Most of people’s complaints are valid but in general I know from experience that most people who talk shit about the popular fighting games can’t ever be pleased with new releases anyway, nor were they ever pleased with old ones. They’re salty to the bone.

With that said there’s reasons to like every fighting game.

But yeah some of the comments in this thread are dumb. Zoners and charge characters aren’t strong, or fail to capitalize on the SF4 system? Since when. They fucking own that shit, the only character that doesn’t capitalize on the “system” is Hakan because it’s impossible for him to retain momentum without making incredible sacrifices.

Ono.