What made brawl bad?

Well for me theres tri-ohwait it doesnt bother me.
Oh i know ITS ITE-wait those can be turned off
SONIC AND SNAKE ARE I-wait i like those 2 characters
What the fuck am i doing in this thread again?
Ok im being perfectly honest, I dont see anything wrong with SSBB whatsoever…

Donutman, you have inspired me to stir the pot here. I’m with you, brawl is a good game. what do people achieve by complaining about tripping? It works both ways, when someone trips, they are basically letting you punish them. Does that ruin the game for you? Stop talking about hit stun, smash isn’t a combo game, get over it. I’m not saying it is better than melee, but brawl is really fun. Who was that idiot who said fd is an unbalanced stage? sounds like an ice climbers player to me, lol. Ya, in conclusion, I’m going to keep playing brawl because its fun. Luigi shoryuken!

Working both ways or not, for a competitive game, it’s tremendously unfair. I realize it was the goal, but tripping severely damages Brawl’s legitimacy as a competitive fighter. That’s the point. If you don’t mind tripping’s existence because you focus on the game as a random, scrubby party game, that’s fine, but don’t try to argue that that means the game is worth playing competitively.

[media=youtube]Fvtf0kPmwtw[/media]

Yeah, Smash never had combos. Oh, maybe Melee didn’t have combos, though.

[media=youtube]gPfqfvswbyo[/media]

Well, okay, maybe it did. Granted, you could make the observation that Melee also has a greater emphasis on DI, resets, oki, juggle escape reads and edgeguard matrices, but Brawl deemphasizes even some of these. Thus far, the majority of Smash games have had vibrant combo games. I would even go so far that their combo games are deeper and more creative than those of any other fighter ever created.

Wait until you have to play a high level Falco on FD. SHDL camping, approach mix-ups, and a chaingrab into knockdown where you have to contend with one of the best oki tools in the game are not things you want to deal with if you don’t have platforms to mitigate Falco’s options.

I’m going to level with you. I don’t even find Brawl all that fun as a silly distraction game. The sound design is shitty and mid-heavy. The pacing is nowhere near as manic as Melee, or even 64. There is no Mewtwo. There is no Roy. Target Test is boring as shit. Subspace Emissary is repetitive, slow, and boring. And more importantly, more than anything I’ve mentioned so far, there is no Bonus mode in multiplayer. The only things Brawl really has going for it, for me, are the music and the characters. Add in the fact that Brawl is overrun with glitches, bugs, oversights and engine design flaws, and new ones are still cropping up everywhere, and you’ve got to wonder by what metric Brawl is a good game.

Listen, those videos are actually pretty awesome…i can admit that. You’re reply was very thorough, and you make an interesting point. I guess what I mean is smash bros isn’t generally known as a combo game. There is no hit count, and, let’s be honest, while those combos are crazy, they are certainly not frame-tight, street fighter combos. But, that’s kind of what I like about smash bros…it has a different, unique style. I’ve noticed a lot of brawl hate out there, and I can’t really understand it, that’s all. But, I will say this: subspace emissary is stupid. So, try to keep a positive attitude and give brawl a chance. I fight for my friends!

-tripping
-no hit-stun
-floaty and slow as fuck
-much lower skill ceiling than Melee, 64, or any of Brawl’s mods (aka the only things Brawl are good for)
-got rid of anything that gave Melee any replayability
-character design was pretty goddamn retarded (Meta Knight, Snake’s beyond retarded up-tilt, Sonic spazzing like a retard whenever he went into a ball, Sonic’s homing attack not actually heading straight toward the target, Pit’s side-b, etc.)
-exploits that made the game pretty much brainless
-awful stages
-Meta Knight (yeah he’s bad enough that he has to be mentioned twice)

I could go on and on about this shit, and if you really want to play Brawl, you have no excuse to not mod it because vBrawl is complete garbage.

I guess I don’t really see what you’re getting at here. Just because people who haven’t studied the games can’t port their understanding of tfg combos into Smash doesn’t make the combos less inextricable from the game’s identity.

This.

I think all the hate for Smash is because of how “loose” the inputs and frame data are. When I used to juggle my cousins for fun it felt like I could literally do it forever.

Forget about metaknight and balance.
It’s floaty and slow as fuck, and tripping is stupid. I always feel like there is a 0.25 seconds of input delay (maybe it’s just me). Every character feels so unresponsive that I just want to put my controller down, and go outside. Sakurai went out of his way to limit movement, and the game became incredibly stiff.
Also, I could never find the sweet spot for the item drop rates. It would either be too much or not enough for me. In melee, I felt that setting it to “very high” was too much, so “high” was just right.

Then they don’t know how to air tech.

how the fuck were you able to deal with the n64 original then?

I never owned a n64, so I didn’t get to play it as much as melee and brawl. The original smash was floaty, but not slow. Movement was not heavily restricted like brawl’s.

looks @ avatar
American Psycho was such a good movie! Do you think he really murdered all those people or was it all in his head?

The original smash wasnt what you’d call melee speed either, and movement restricted in brawl? Wat i fail to see how its restricted at all

lol, that’s the thing, movement isn’t restricted in brawl. soul calibur is a slow game, brawl definitely isn’t slow.

ya it is an awesome movie…so funny. I think in the book he actually does murder everyone, but i forget. I should read that again sometime…

64 has a much faster pace do to the fact that there was gasp combos. Its not like the person gets hit then everything starts over like brawl is most of the time.

-tiredzz

[media=youtube]ap_pAfbK7lc[/media]
Except in brawl THERE IS COMBOS
DEEEERRRRRRP
You guys seriously need to stop your bitching and either

1. Deal with the changes and learn to adapt
  2. Go back to melee And stop your complaining
    I mean seriously you dont see Marvel 2 players throwing a bitchfit over the changes in marvel 3. They instead either adapt and deal with the changes, or just play marvel 2 and not whine about it

What the hell is tripping for? To restrict movement. However, the most important things removed were dash dancing and l-canceling (z-canceling in 64). You can’t make your character quickly face a different direction during a regular dash without dash dancing. Without l-canceling you had to deal with tons of recovery frames on almost every single aerial move low close to the ground.

Your telling me that a game with almost no offense (brawl) is faster than Soul Calibur?

LMAO nice 1-hit combos. :rofl:

I think Brawl exceeds at being a fun game (at least for me), but people call it bad due to it being almost completely stripped of competitive viability. A lot of people have already nailed some of the issues (lack of l-cancelling or wave-dashing aren’t issues in my opinion, though). Personally, if Brawl had a reasonable amount of hitstun and no tripping, I would be able to deal with most of its other issues from a competitive standpoint. But being punished for *running, *which is needed to get close to the opponent, and getting punished for actually hitting your opponent due to lack of hitstun…that’s just stupid on so many levels.

I’d give a list of what I’d like to see in the next smash, but there’s probably another thread for that.

Also, technically Brawl does have combos. Mario and Luigi’s down throw into up-air is a true combo, Toon Link’s Back-air into up special is a true combo (I think…I do know that his back-airs combo into themselves as a true combo), Marth’s forward throw into forward smash is a true combo (I think it’s forward throw…it’s either that or down throw), you can combo with almost anything after Toon Link’s hookshot, Link’s clawshot (one hit) can allow for a combo afterwards…there are a few others I’m forgetting.

So Brawl does have combos. But the way the game works makes most “true combos” not worth going for, and doesn’t allow for the creative combos we see in Melee and 64.

Ironically enough, Falco’s chain grab is not a true combo. But you can’t escape from it until you get to a high enough percent or if you’re a really, really floaty character (I think game & watch is one that you can’t really chain grab with Falco).

Marvel 2 players bitched constantly about the Marvel 3 changes. They’re still bitching, last I checked, about changes made from vanilla to ultimate. The only difference between them and the Melee crowd is they continued to play a game they hate because that’s what Evo went with while the Melee crowd kept playing the game they loved despite the fact that massive tournaments were being held for the game they hated, and they eventually revived the Melee scene to become one of the most vibrant underground tournament scenes in the world. I’m not sure which side is smarter, since the Marvel players are bitching all the way to the bank, but I’d say the Melee crowd did a better job of following your advice.

And lol at your “combo” video. Showing people air control into smash attacks is not a combo video, it’s a “let’s make our opponents look like fools” compilation. The majority of the video certainly showcases some great reads, but it’s telling that most of those reads are punishing the opponent for being too aggressive. The only actual combos are brain dead infinites and chain grabs that have literally no tech skill floor to execute. Melee combos may be considered easy, but true brawl combos don’t even require DI reads to work, because the mechanics that make them possible explicitly prevent DI from occurring.

Snake isn’t in Melee. Everyone’s arguments are suddenly invalid.

Seriously, I’ve never had any problem with Brawl. I love destroying people with snake.

[LIST]
[]Low hit-stun
[
]Air-dodges not causing helpless
[]Tripping
[
]Easy recoveries
[]Not being able to instantly detach from a grabbed ledge
[
]Too floaty
[*]Too much stale-move negation
[/LIST]