What Fighting Game Makes the Most Money

i see all these tourney’s out there and i’m just a little curious as to what game brings in the most money… now this is not just in tournement winnings i’m talking any and all categories… like for the runners of evo… which games bring in the most players and thus the most entry fees and sponsors… so does anyone know the answer to this…

the only things i can thing of that bring in dollars:

tournement winnings (how much is being made per game)

sponsors(if anyone has any beside nissan’s yaris)

strategy guides(i see gamers names referenced in these books now. are they being paid)

anyone know of another way cats are making money with this…?

or does anyone have any ideas as to how folks can make money with this fighting game community we have…

mods: i’m not sure if this belongs here on in general disscusion so sorry if this is the wrong spot

3S is BALLLLLIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNN!!!

dunno about evo… but pretty sure smash (mayyybe DOA) are high up there

As far as tourneys it seems that 3s is the big money maker. but as far as the top sellers T5 and SC are ranking up there.

DOA makes the most easy money. 8 man tournament thing for $10000.And sponsorships.

DoA and SSBM make the most money it seems.

where can i go to see these figures… is there anywhere i can research past tournements and the prizes… where do you cats see 3rd, doa, & smash tournements…

In America I would hope it would be something like…

3rd Strike
MVC2
CVS2
Guilty Gear

DoA makes the most in IMO, Tekken and Soul Cal usually sells well as the games are always greatest hits. For sponors and stuff, DoA is in the WCG and Smash was in MLG for the longest time.

well my appologizies for the confusion… but i don’t mean game sells… i’m actually talking about the gamers playing these games in tournements(us)… which of the games we play are paying the most to these gamers… i hear tell of some cats living off of what they make playing games is this true…???

taken from evo website:
Each game at Evo South will have a $1000 prize pool, and will be split 70/20/10 respectively. Also instead of the usual 8 qualifying spots for Evo Worlds, there will only be 4 available

now with 8 games so a total of 8000 to be won at just one qualifier for evo…
prizes are 700 200 100 for 1st 2nd 3rd… so if a cat wins 2 games say 3rd and cvs2 he made 1400 not much but it pays all his expenses…

how much is the prize money for evo’s main event…

You can always look in tournament results or the tournaments and events threads on here and sift through those.

3S I think is the definite top game for tournament winnings, maybe DOA from what I saw on this thread though. I heard of some sponsers with 3S in Japanese tourneys, and maybe Evo?

Evo main event in 2006 gave 5000 dollars for first prize. But people forget about money matches. Sanford won a 6600 dollars money match against Duc. He lost Evo, but winning it could give him extra 5000 dollars. If he played money matches all day ike some guys, and keeps winning, he probably could walk out of Evo with something in the range15000/20000 dollars only from Marvel. This if the guy can win everything and is able to motivate a lot of potential losers to money match him. I don’t see anybody but Wong being able to pull that off.

doa actually has huge sponsors and probably beats everything else clean because of it. smash got dropped from MLG which was it’s ticket to lots of money so it’s pretty much just DOA now. marvel is probably second if you can actually win consistantly.

Okay I’m not 100% sure but I thought the
The Sanford vs Duc total in $6,600 after people bet are in

That’s exactly what happened. Sanford himself didn’t bet/win anything close to 6,000 dollars. 6600 dollars includes all of the side bets placed on him from the crowd during the event. So Sanford’s money is actually the money he won from Duc + the money east coast won from west coast.

Totals from 2006 for Smashers:

Ken made over $40,000.
PC Chris made over $20,000 (close to $30,000).
ChuDat made over $20,000.
KoreanDJ made over $20,000.
Mew2King made over $15,000.
Isai made over $15,000.
Azen made over $10,000.
Chillin made over $10,000.
About a dozen Smashers are in the $5,000 to $10,000 range I think.

For 2007 the numbers will be slightly smaller because there won’t be tournaments like MLG New York/Vegas. But there are still around 5 large grassroots tournaments planned with prizes similar to MLG (some of which will also be sponsored by MLG, prizes for first in the $2000 range). In addition to this there is Evolution which will help pick up some of the slack. Then there is EGL, but the community is very iffy about them, think of it like MLG was in 2005 because they before stablized.

None of these totals include money matches, and many players make tons of money off of money matches but it is very difficult to record real numbers for these (IE numbers that are not inflated, we have no real way of knowing what a player says is true).

Smash holds tournaments on weekly/monthly basis’s in just about every major city, tournaments that usually draw in 50-100 people with little notice, prizes for which are usually around $500-$1000, depending on whether its $10 or $20 entry for singles, and then $10/$20 for a team in doubles. A winner can easily walk away with close to $1000 every other week (such is the case with the MD/VA region).

What “Smash”?

Super Smash Brothers Melee

Does SSBM produce THAT much money? I didnt know that :frowning:

Seriously, I visit Nintendo forums and nobody seems to know this kind of stuff.

And…if Melee is so important tournament wise, why are still people out there saying Melee is not a legitmate fighting game? Makes me think…