What exactly am I supposed to be doing with Urien?

Although it may seem obvious to some of you, I’m not always sure exactly what I should be trying to do. Apart from setting up Aegis, I seem to be looking to land throws, build meter, and push towards the corner.

I also generally am zoning, I’m not sure how to (if it’s possible) rush-down with Urien. My partition skills outside of Aegis combos are pretty average, I know a few set ups to get a meaty low into headbutt / tackle.

So yeah, what exactly should I be looking to do with this guy throughout the course of a match? What should be Urien’s game?

Frankly, Urien is all about getting the meter and either setting up unblockables or a 50/50 mixup. Leading up to that, is entirely up to you. Exploiting long range normals to control space is a necessary part of all Urien play (dat s.:hp: and c.:mk:), as is going for parries often to land the elbow. It’s risky, but you should consciously be trying to learn how to parry a lot of things because nearly all of his damage comes from an elbow. Playing an offensive style of Urien, as you’ve already guessed, requires great partitioning. Check out my thread, I’ve compiled some basic setups like dash, c.:lk: xx headbutt/tackle that are super useful for this kind of play.

Also, it’s all about matchup knowledge. Learn which common moves can be stuffed with pokes like s.:mp: and s.:hp:. Command normals like f.:mp: are godlike in certain situations. Learn which characters you can reset with a c.:lp: from a jab headbutt, etc. Urien is a pretty gimmicky character in many respects, but also a brutally scary one when played well.

I find myself building meter a lot of the time. My problem is now dealing with other peoples corner mixup. Especially Shoto’s, my God the shotos are a nightmare when they have you in the corner. The more I play Urien the more I realise he requires such intelligent play ESPECIALLY when playing defense. If I’m lucky I’ll RH Knee Drop out of the corner, but otherwise I really have to guess correctly most of the time. Ifind that I’m not really sure at what range I should be at most of the time? Any help here?

I’m by no means a pro or very experienced Urien player at all, but some things I go for when I’m being pressured in the corner is a parry, try to grab (95% of the time, this makes things worse. If I do get a grab, it’s because I’m playing online), lp/ex headbutt, st. mp, cr. lp or cr.mk to push them away. Aside from those things, I can’t ever think of anything else to do.

I would suggest not ever knee dropping unless you are absolutely 100% sure you WILL get out of the corner WITHOUT being punished.

It’s best to study your opponent’s patterns to see what s/he will do next so you can anticipate it, punish appropriately and get out of the corner.

play footies with MP, HP, MK, cr.MK, and f.MK

spacing and spamming j.HK works, too. you can even connect it to a cr.HP launcher, although timing is pretty difficult

you can also throw in some random air fireballs or LP.headbutts - catches a lot of opponents off guard, so keep working on charge partitioning

I’ve seen people charge partition j.HK into st.MP > headbutt

God I have to work SO HARD with Urien to get a win. Especially against any spaz happy shoto. On the ground, I see to be ‘ok’ in playing some footsies with them. I find now that when they take to the air it becomes a problem for me. I’m either too far away to dash underneath it, or, if I’ve punished them for jumping too much, then comes the empty jump - I kinda have a problem with this too =(

Gah, I’m so determined to get better with this guy besides being able to do combos, any tips here? (oh yeah, I have particular trouble against Ryu’s Ex hadou =| if they abuse it while im in the corner, I find it really hard getting out)

wait till they run out of ex.
urien has long legs btw. hit things with them.

You don’t need to know too much to beat a spaz happy special moves only shoto…

[details=Spoiler]---- can’t find that video. placeholder His name was so long it cutoff mine, stuck together that’s why.

[media=youtube]pDGaLKdseik[/media]

But I expect your competition to be better than this guy. Mine was just a video to show someone you can take fighting game skills, basic block and punish and do fine against the special move only crowd & try to make videos, SF3 has trolling!

He being a Video maker famous enough guy showed interest in SF3, but spouted the “they have 10 years experience don’t wanna get owned”

Try the game. You’ll do fine.
[/details]

What are they doing to your anti-airs?
Punish for jumping too much, 2 parrying crHP elbow launch? Or you just stop anti airing the 1 hit stuff?

Empty jump throw? Even a late stand HK can blow that up, as they aren’t always going to walk up after the empty jump, and kara throw is just that much slower. Urien has ways to be elusive, and win out in footsies with, lull them into thoughts of safety and CRUSH, tackle punish things. Which comes the Aegis pressure if it hits, corner push, all that good stuff.

Usually I’ll do preemptive spheres to see if they consistently parry those or not, otherwise I use a lot of standing jab and standing mp. Against parry happy players that just want to parry on every jump in I find that doesn’t work a lot so I try and just not be there upon their landing. Usually by dashing under or back but a lot of the time this also gets me into trouble lol. Otherwise if they insist on jumping in with something I’ll try to parry their jump in and this usually leads to me getting thrown.

So I guess its a mix between anti air normals, screen positioning, or beating a throw on their landing =|

Jab is a terrible idea for an anti-air unless they’re some kind of idiot jumping in without doing moves at all times, otherwise it’ll just lose to everything. If people like to parry your stuff on the air, you can do stuff like s.mp x lk tackle, c.hp x headbutt and the like, just check to see did they parry it and then cancel.

So dashing out of the way isnt a good idea?

everything u need is in this video
[media=youtube]P_Pgl0ybaJI[/media]

It is fine, but all it does is change positioning, reset the situation to nuetral. This can screw up some newer players just fine.

But to ignore stand HP “handshake” smack (needs to be early, kinda slow, 10 framer?), the cr HP launcher and like yomipower said, cancel normals to a 2nd move is doing yourself a disservice. Target combo LP x MP, is okay if they had empty jumped in so far even with a parry, but they won’t do that 2 times in a row right?

cr Jab to Headbutt might work also, if you just need something else and really want to use jab for anti air. Don’t stand there jabbing to get kicked in the head right over it. Just cr MK when they land, really.

Walking back out of range if they empty jump and don’t make you proximity block & get stuck there is fine too. You get to charge for tackle, not be there just the same without committing to a dash and changing places. You might dash right into their air attack if you didn’t react fast enough too.

Also, the sorta useless move, cr MP, elbow can move under jumping characters just the same. Experiment with that every once in a while in places where dash will move you too far to stay on top of them.

You must first become Urien to understand Urien. Wear a thong woven from space-age metallic fibers and start chopping and kneeing everything in sight while yelling ‘kill!’ and ‘destroy!’

Against people who wanna jump in and parry I like ex headbutt for anti air. Never had anyone parry all the hits… though I’m sure it’s possible. Likely much harder online.

How can I be more aggressive with Urien? I have a hard time creating pressure. I try to do this by tackle punishing but i find it very risky bc they’re punishable on block

Urien’s offense starts with Aegis. Once you have a meter stocked, that is when his Specials get moderately safer.

Otherwise, play it safe. Aggressive Urien players are usually the reckless types. For example Kuroda: he surprisingly plays very rushdown but also does a lot of risky things. Messatsu Yarou is also very aggressive but his partition gimmicks are a lot of guesswork.

since when does jab lose to ‘everything’.
half the time someone does a jump in they do it as late as possible or as early as possible.

if its early you will still be blocking or parry, etc. you won’t be in jab startup because jab is so quick.
if its late your jab will beat anything they do during their startup except maybe their own jab/short.

forget using low fierce as an AA. its slow and has a really shitty hitbox for AA. 9/10 times you’re going to get kicked in the head trying to use it like that.
standing strong and standing jab are both good AA.

Mash jab beat me in tournament. He adapted to me trying lots of crossups in the right range as Ryu. I didn’t think to do this and lost with Urien to a Ken crossup fisherman, who was not even getting the spacing right.

Yeah if you wait and telegraph that you will only use tackle for punishes they can take advantage of knowing that and get in on you just waiting for them. Setting the pace in your favor and controlling a match isn’t written on paper exactly what to do, you have to find you own way with that and by using all your tools. Watching those good players will help to give you more ideas. But do know they are either being risky or making reads and knowing what their opponent is going to do or try next. Educated guesses, knowing the opponent, making them do something that they can take advantage of. Even just making them block or hesitate.