What can gief do against yun?

I think yun is one of gief’s worst matchup
yun has his death button spamming against gief

s.mp is the first death button, this move has small startup hurtbox, it always avoid your jabs and then hit you, the hitbox range of yun smp is crazy

shk is fucking annoying, yun can simply spam shk in the entire round and you are mostly being pushed into corner, and yun can spam shk until u die, gief jabs, smp , smk lose to yun shk

What can i do? o:)

Need to level up your game bro.
Learn the range of Yun’s pokes. Learn Zangief’s counter pokes. Predict your opponent.

Actually the general consensus is the other way around - in that Zangief is tough for Yun. I disagree, since I disagree in match-up tiers.

You have to look at reducing damage loss by “prevention”, if you are too far away or you block, Yun can’t do damage. So you have to space well. Learn the range of Yun’s st.mp and st.hk and dance in and out of these ranges. The counters you use, depend on positioning. But usually the best positioning, is to stay AS CLOSE AS YOU CAN without being hit. As this gives you the most options to counter and more time to counter (as you are closer)

You should learn as many counters as you can! To mix it up, in case they catch on.

Space yourself outside the range of the attacks and counter poke. So if Yun walks forward, you walk back, to maintain that constant spacing, where he’s junk whiffs. If he walks forward, you can always threaten with a quick poke like far MP, crouch LP, etc To need to predict his attacks, so you can ready your own! If he’s predictable, distance is a key give away. “If Zangief gets into this range, I press HK” - that kind of mentality. Don’t be afraid to block a lot, as you collect valuable information about the pokes you need to counter.

You generally want to understand the concept of whiff confirm, especially if you use a more riskier, but potentially more rewarding counter. If you use a safe counter like the light attacks, its not a bigger deal if your timing is off. Basically, stand as close as you can, and allow the poke to fully extend. Visually confirm, that indeed it is that poke. Press the command for your counter. Do not spam your counter! As you risk trading or taking damage. You have to do it on reaction!!!

Some counters are too slow to start, and can not be whiff confirmed. You don’t have enough time to tag them, before their poke retracts back. But they can be used in prediction. A good example would be Zangief’s far crouch HK, the long kick against Yun’s far HK. Walk into that range, start up the far crouch HK before he starts up his far HK.

For light o/s counters which you can react or spam, you want to reduce the risk to yourself. So ideally you want to space them at a range where the tip of your light poke meets the tip of theirs. Poke-To-Poke range. This reduces trading.

For FA counters, you have to release immediately on contact and usually you back dash after contact. If you predict the poke, you can pre-charge the FA slightly, so that hopefully, you just get to L2 on contact. If you reach L2 and there is no poke, back dash immediately. NEVER get greedy and maintain the focus charge after contact!!! You have been warned.

Against Yun’s far HK: [14-4-16]

• You can use far MP, far MK, L1~L2 FA confirm back dash or forward dash, LPGH, far HK.
  • For the o/s lights into LPGH/EXGH: I recommend in order of superiority: far LP (best), far LK, cr.lp.

Against Yun’s far MP: [5-5-14]

Are you sure it’s far MP? Doesn’t look right, as the range is kind of short.

To improve your reaction time, set dummy Yun to do repeated far HK and block immediately. Ensure to leave a fairly large random gap between each far HK. and Play back.
You should get good with countering he’s junk in no time!

Yes dude, I am talking about yun’s smp
This move have a longer hitbox than it looks, yun often use this move to connect his shoulder even on hit or on block
if on hit, RFC waiting for you, even if on block, he has frame advantage continue pressuring you.
This fucking move oven avoid my jabs/Smp and than hit me, it is extremely annoying and spammable

Thanks for your tips on fighting against his SHK, I will try it
I was getting mad when I often lose to certain yun who simply spam his SHK for ENTIRE ROUND until I get hit=>get pushed into corner=>infinite SHK until I die

Yun, no problemo, comrade.

Just jump over his pokes and do the splash followed by a Lariat, my personal choice, or something in particular up your sleeve, comrade.

When he gets close, piledrive him, or punish him in any way possible.

Ask me more on my Zangief Q and A thread for more details.