Wakeup, Shoryuken E030 - Juicebox Drops In

Taking a break from the Pro vs Hobby debate, this week we welcome Juicebox to the program. We talk about how he got started, and how he got to where he is today… as he is one of the few fighting game players now contracted to a sponsorship company, in this case with Borderland Gaming. Check it out, and enjoy!

This is the first Wakeup, Shoryuken podcast I’ve listened to and I’m not sure what avenue you guys wanted comments in but I can also make my first post here. I really liked this episode because it helped shed more light onto Juicebox’s history in gaming and how being signed with a team works. Now that I’ve gotten to know who he is after he burst onto the scene I will definitely be rooting for him in any tournaments I see him in. Perhaps the mindset he has of “I’m going to beat x player someday” or “I’m going to win this tournament no matter who’s in it” can be expanded upon as a future talking point; I would love to hear the discussion.

Hey, Ken! Thanks for the comment. You can leave them here or on the front-page. The frontpage gets more attention, though. Cheers!

Great show as always.

I’ve only started listening to last week podcast and I definitely love the content and depth of the information you bring up on featured topic/person. I have a couple of points to comment on.

1. About the Darkstalkers out of memory excuse. I think it would be valid because how games for PS3 and 360 are HD. Going HD is very memory inefficient. Either way that Capcom takes Darkstalkers to 3D or 2D, you got HD textures, HD sprites, HD audio, and HD video for each character in the game. All that adds up fast especially if they have to different resolutions of the same textures/sprites, etc for different resolutions TVs aka SD, 720p, 1080p or even 5.1 or even 7.1 sound. Also there is anti-piracy protections that would take memory space. I know for 360 which only use DVDs for it’s game will no doubt fill out fast. PS3 has blu-ray so it’s not as much of an issue.

2. As for live-streams, I definitely agree with you guys. The newer generation are definitely spoiled and don’t understand the required behind the scenes magic. Though I would think if the tourney/venue make a cut of the entry fees or have some live spectators pay a minimal fee to support the live-stream. I would think that the community would be fine with lower quality live stream or time delayed video posting than compared to none. With cheaper point and shoot cameras even phones being able to take video while getting cheaper, the community will take anything to see the action.

Thanks for the podcast and all your community work. Keep at it.