Wake-up Parry, a standard part of Urien's game?

So I’m one of those guys who never wake up parries, always block and ready to tech throw and dashing back or jumping from throw+throw baits.

My question is, with Urien, it seems like I’m doing the wrong thing by blocking on wake-up most of the time. It seems like I should take the 1/4 chance to win the game, instead of playing to get into a neutral state.

What do Urien players think? Can Urien be played “properly” without his wake-up parries? Because a lot of the times, that’s just how people win matches.

His fairly high stamina also gives me another reason to start…

I figured since I pretty much use mid or low tiers that I should really, REALLY be wake up parrying more often to give what the game has, in my favor somewhat.

Just something to discuss, I’d like to hear inputs.

As usual, it depends on the situation.
Let’s say you’re facing a Chun with no super, then you can afford the risk of wake up parry which can lead to a throw in the corner, a cr. HP, or just give you some room to breathe and avoid submission to the opponent’s pace.
Now if she has super, that’s not worth the risk…

Another example against Yun, when they don’t have meter they cross up dive kick and go for cr. MK --> scissor kick or cr. LK x 2 qcf. LP; ie tend to hit low when they don’t have super or if super wouldn’t fill at 100% with a 123 or 123 shoulder; but then meter is available and if they haven’t already activated they tend to hit high.

Against Ken it’s recommended not to wake up parry or only once or twice in the game because he can do lots of damage with or without super.

The issue is that wake up threat doesn’t exist with Urien, except for lp headbutt which many characters beat easily; but waking up parry is sometimes necessary; even if it doesn’t lead to a parry ; it’s just a way of saying “ok man, I’ve got no solid wake up options, but I can parry and end the round with one cr. HP, so watch your distance and get off my a**!”

wake up parry is fine if they’re stupid enough to be in your face if they do not posses the ability to do a fat combo.

imo its always better to block, and occasionally just throw out a stupid parry every once in a while. most characters can do something damaging if you guess wrong and they can hitconfirm :<

you have to do some stupid shit (wake up parry) every now and then just to scare the opponent so they know they cant just do whatever they want.

also wake up cr fierce is too funny.

good shit everyone that has posted.

LBR: yeah man that shit has sucked me out of delay shoto c.mk and lots of bizarre shit.

Like what Let blood run said… You gotta pretty much do it to Scare the opponent and think Twice about rushing you down.
Wake up parry everywhere to Use those Aegis Set-ups you spent hours on practicing! (Unless you havn’t bothered with them…)
But I don’t play Urien… I could be wrong about that.

EDIT: Wow I edited this alot of times…

Yes I also agree. If it was Chun with super, parrying low would be dangerous. Because punishing a parried low forward… well, you know. But random parries will definitely scare them into trying something else. It surely prevents them from rushing you down and might get them to start doing UOH’s and jumping in at you in the corner. Which is easily read, parry and punish accordingly. But personally Magneto, I do the same as you. I just adjust accordingly if the player’s style dictates it. :wgrin:

Man, there is actually way more to this than I thought now that I REALLY think about it. I hope there are several more posts in this thread soon. I could use some advice on this also.

Wake-up parry is good, Urien is one of the characters that benefit the most from it. Against Chun, it’s not that bad if you parry a low-mk with meter, just be careful to block the super afterwards and you get a nice combo afterwards. But with Chun you need to worry about other attacks too which makes it hard to guess correctly.

I think it’s less effective to wake-up parry against characters with many options, such as Chun-li and Ken. Against Yun it’s less of an occurence since he likely will charge bar off a knockdown instead of hitting you on wakeup.

A good mix of defense and parry is good.

if you have 1.5 to 2 meters its worth it.

against ken just red parry. if you fuck up a strong fierce red parry he won’t shoryu and if you get it you win.