Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown console thread

Oh won’t you smile a while for me… Sarah…

[media=youtube]JL3YM0DOlIc[/media]

Said… smiiiiiiiiii-IIIIIIIII-illllle… oh won’t you smile a while for me… Sarah…

[media=youtube]U28ndEH2Vb4[/media]

This has been THE INVINCIBLE SWORDSMAN singing in his best Hall & Oats voice:

If you wanna be free-eeeeEEEEEEEEEEEE… Girl…
All you got to do… is say so.

That would be nice. Especially if they fix the PCB issue.

I still play on my VSHG taht I got like 3 or 4 years ago. Granted the innards have completely been replaced by now but it’s still the nicest case out there imo.

Ok a few honest questions:

I bought VF4:EVO and played it for a month. I still have it.

I don’t have an 360 and will likely not have one in the future (don’t really want one).

If I want to get into 5:FS should I go back to VF4:EVO and play it until FS drops, or is it really not worth it at this point?

And secondly is this a game that carries over to anything in any way? I’m fully committed to playing / promoting Skullgirls to death when it drops and I’m curious if VF requires an inordinate amount of attention / devotion to get even past scrub level.

For the record, I’m an idiot.

:3

I got a VSHG, but I’ve yet to mod it in anyway. I’d like to, but I’m having trouble finding any good guides and SRK’s search engine is borked ever since the forum got updated. Great stick though, although that PCB issue with registering 3 button inputs is annoying. >w<

@Master Chibi - VF requires alot of devotion. I’d say forget about Skull Gurlz or whatever and focus on the awesomeness that is VF lol. Hard game get into, but it’s alot of fun. I dunno if I could say if anything you learn in VF would carry over to other fighters, because VF is such a unique fighting game compared to other 3D fighters.

VF4 Evo is a good place to start though, the training mode is great. But you could easily pick up the PS3/360 for real cheap at any used game store. Worth grabbing I think.

The news made my day. I can’t wait to use Jean. Great thread Reno. Thank you Sega.

you’ll sometimes get (broken) links to older versions of the site but generally this works really, really well

How are you planning to play SG w/o a 360/ps3?
If you have any experience in 3d games then VF shouldn’t be that hard to get used to.
Not to mention FS is easier to play than the VF4 series.

Oh cool, thanks alot for the tip

@Nocturnal - I didn’t know you were a VF man. What system will you be getting it for?

Where did I mention not having a PS3?

And for the record there’s no chance in hell I’m dropping Skullgirls, it deserves my money more than anything Capcom’s put out in the past three years.

I always liked VF. I’ll be getting it for 360 even though I might be getting a PS3 around the end of the year. Not sure yet.

I hope you consider investing in the George Foreman Grill.

I’m hoping with some customizations I could make Jacky look like Terry Bogard. I saw one of Akira and he looked like Wild Ambition Mr.Karate. So badass…

idk about SCIII, but in SCIV, a step has vulnerability frames, and 8WR is nowhere near as effective in evading. However, the step can’t be countered by delaying linear launchers or other moves; you must use a step catching move that’s fast enough to hit them before the vulnerability frames end. Actually, they aren’t really vulnerability frames, you can cancel those frames by attacking, but not guarding.

So yeah, SC Step and 8WR are quite different from a VF evade. Also worth noting that in VF5:FS, getting hit out of an evade draws a counter hit instead of normal hit in previous versions, like in the SC series.

Really, in VF, I don’t think there really is a second axis of movement. Sidewalking doesn’t evade anything, and the evades are just invulnerable to everything but moves that have the half-circular or full-circular flag. It has nothing to do with hitboxes like in SC or Tekken. If no attack comes during the invulnerability frames, it becomes a “failed evade” and there are frames where you can’t do anything. Here, any move will hit. Even though they appear to have physically moved to side, your character realigns during the failed evade state. This system allows for simplicity and consistency. Please correct me if I’m wrong about any of this.

Really Tataki?

Tekken is my main game - so a jump to VF should be ok, if I’m a decent player at 3D games? (SC included).

Also, can anyone fill me in about Eileen? She seems so godlike (and troll material to boost).

I think this is kind of unfair. lots of game deserve some attention. There is no reason to just play ONE unless you cant pull yourself away from one. But then its your own choice.

I’m on the fence on this one. I never managed to get into the VF series. I owned VF4:Evo long ago and while I liked the Quest mode I had no one to play with and I found it somewhat boring. From the footage I’ve seen of this it looks like fun. The deal breaker for me will probably be in price. If it’s the normal downloadable game price of $10-$15 I’ll gladly give the series a second shot.

You’ll just need to get used to the specifics of VF.
For example regular throws in Tekken are sub-par usually but in VF you’ll be using them a lot.
Also pressing the button to sidestep is very dangerous unless you are sure the opponent is gonna do a linear attack, because only then you get the “good” sidestep, while the “bad” one is only used for positioning and can’t really evade attacks. (Well at least that’s how it was in the days I played and I don’t think they changed it)

Stuff like that.
I think someone who knows FS’s system like Reno or maybe one of the guys from VFDC should make a VF5:FS tutorial for players of other fighting games.

I’m expecting this game to be at the $30 range. If it’s cheaper, I’ll take it.

Lots of games deserve attention, but the only ones that will are the ones that people are actively playing offline. I just hope people get into this game and not settle with just playing online. But I’ll be doing what I can to support the game and scene for it once it drops because I grew up playing VF in the arcade.

fuck yea. how different is FS from vanilla? i still have my VF5 on ps3. should i just sell it or will somethings carry over? i’m a noob

Some things carry over. Basic concepts can still be learned by playing vanilla VF5, but there’s so much different compared to Final Showdown.

Also, here’s a match between Anaguma and Hauru, two high level players in Osaka. Anaguma is a current Star Player (sponsored by Sega) while Hauru is a former Star Player.

[media=youtube]t7lQzZolDCE[/media]

LOOK AT DAT DAMAGE.

FYI, Sega has had WMV replay file creation since VF5’s original arcade release, meaning there’s a ton of footage out there for vanilla, 5R and Final Showdown if you want to look for them. Just search for VF5FS on Youtube or on Zoom.me and you’ll find a crazy amount of video. Starting with 5R (I forget to be honest) these replay files can also be created with frame display options so that you can see exactly what the frames are, just like in the video above. This will make great study material for anyone who is planning to get into the game seriously. It’ll also show you when a counterhit pops up as well as what direction a move needs to be evaded in.