VERY interested in Amaterasu

Hey,

For the past few calendar seasons I’ve gone through a number of different teams. Ranging from what I’ve seen streamed to what people have suggested to me. Recently I said fuck the tiers. Fuck the rankings. Fuck all the glitz. This dog is cool cause #1 it’s dog… In a fighting game & there are multiple other reasons why I want to sit down and learn her thoroughly -

…but, first I will need some help.

What type of mindset do you have when using her?
Is her air dash cancel-able without an actual hit input?
What can I gain as a player from picking Amaterasu?
What can I expect to see more of as I play her?
What are her biggest threats that take time over coming? (some characters like x-23 have bad matchups vs doom (not when he’s grounded but because he can spend so much time airborne along with some others of the cast - although grounded things change).
Is it possible someone could weekly overseer my progress in the event I plan to stick around?

I don’t know. Recently my dog died, kinda really resembles Ammys brown coat. I don’t have any pictures but that was pretty close enough. I’d really be willing to be a contributing and listening member of this section of the forums if I get a helping hand.

Man, no posts here? I’d love to help, but my Ammy is not really up to the task. Try asking in one of the stickied Ammy threads, some of the regulars can help you out.

I don’t have the best Ammy in the world, I’ve been playing her the shortest on my team (Joe since Vanilla, Hawk since Ultimate, Ammy for bout 8 months), but I’ll give you my input.

Ammy is one of the best support characters in the game. She fits on any team, Cold Star makes any character better, her Slow super has retarded utility. On point, she has the tools for just about every match up, but executing it is another thing. So don’t worry about tiers (although she’s probably bottom of high tier, plus one of the best anchors period).

1. I use her second, so my mentality is different than using her last. I also have a meter-hog anchor, so I can’t spend meter on Slows willy nilly. If the matchup permits, I play her with reflector stance with arrows in the back. If my opponent doesn’t have a beam super, I can get away with air dash + arrows option select air throw, which is pretty derpy. If I can’t airdash, I play a ground game whiff punishing with s.M, if the matchup is horrible (Dormammu), I play Hawkeye with Ice behind him.
  2. Yes, you can cancel her air dash. For instance, airdash and immediately cancel into H to bait a Dormammu into burning a beam super.
  3. You gain Cold Star assist which, if you’ve played LLND, even makes Hsien-Ko viable. I’ll never drop Ammy just for the fact Cold Star lets Viewtiful Joe do exactly what I want him to do. You’ll also gain a playstyle that takes a brain to utilize correctly, which can help your game overall.
  4. You can expect to see sick-ass mixups with your point characters and salt worthy comebacks in XF3.
  5. To me, her biggest threat is super powerful zoning. Dormammu + beam/missiles is a nightmare. If for some reason he doesn’t have meter, you can hope for a hail mary airdash, but Ammy’s low health gets her chipped into oblivion. I feel she can fight Doom ok, other than the fact her wide hitbox gets footdived at wacky angles.
  6. I don’t know if weekly progress reports are necessary, but there’s plenty of Ammy players here that can help you out as you progress.

tl;dr version: Ammy is good. You should play her and she will help your team.

I’ve been playing ammy on my main team since vanilla in the second slot and cold star assist. The type of mind-set I have with her is to be on the offensive but ready to defend if my opponent tries to zone me. If your opponent is pressuring you as a melee character, i’d say try and use your counter to get them out of your face and do some good damage to them. A good thing to know is that all 3 of ammy’s weapons can be used to defend yourself or get in (i don’t know a whole lot of combos for her whip weapon, so i’d stay away from using it too much).

Her air dash can be cancelled with a regular light, medium, heavy, special. One major buff she got in Ultimate is that she can change weapons in the air. You can use this to trick your opponents or change from the weapon you don’t want to be using to the one you want to in the air which is can be safer at times.

I’d answer all your questions, but Warioman seemed to answer them adequately enough.

One thing i’d like to mention is that her biggest threats aren’t necessarily individual characters so much as the combination of the character fighting with assists that don’t give you an opening. If it’s just you vs an unassisted fighter, you have plenty of tools to be able to overcome any strategy they might throw at you.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. Maybe about specific match-ups or characters you have a hard time against.

Well I don’t want to turn this into a supreme q&a cause I already seen there’s a thread for that what made me interested in him was his low to ground mobility - I run x s sentinal (sometimes on point depending on matchup) and Ammy brings to the table what he cannot. I don’t think sent is slow I just think Ammy has more tools/ priority with hits (Dat c.l lol).

Her DHC - hate it or love it, you get free Ammy switching . Weather you’re leaving or coming in. Most hypers will finish before all the thunder clears or Ammy will just come in do OS and she’s in for free without being punished or am I wrong?

I do have a concern about her ability to chase airborne though. How tough is that vs air’d opponents? I mean vs your average doom I know to stay away from corners maybe H.counter beams and l.counter dives and I should be good. I just fear the ability to be so easily crossed up cause I’m so freemmy :frowning:

Her Okami Shuffle does last a long time and will outlast many hypers. What’s so great about that is you can do a team hyper with an OTG afterwards if you have a champion out on the field that can do that (by this i don’t mean an OTG assist, but your point character’s OTG).

For example, if i have my Captain America out and do a team hyper and ammy hits with her OS, I can L shield slash OTG my opponent afterwards and go into a full combo. If your ammy is on point, then this doesn’t work out unfortunately.

She can get punished if your opponent is up close while you use OS because there are gaps between each element that your opponent is not getting hit by anything, so they can grab you in the air and combo afterwards.

For chasing air born opponents, you can use her head charge move 3 times airborn if you don’t use an air dash or air weapon switch. So use - air

or

• to chase after or run away from air born opponents. Diagonal dash forward is another way to reach them in the air if you need to. If you’re facing a Doctor Doom and he’s spamming finger lasers in the air, you can use your solar flare

to reflect them back. If Doctor Doom is spamming foot dive, then solar flare

to counter him and lead into a combo. You can also switch into her sword or whip mode to try and hit them with

in the air while keeping a safe distance.

Just mash H till it works
dur

^Undortunatly before making this thread this is how most wins accrued lol