Very excited but I have a few questions

I’m very excited about the game but I had a few questions about it.

1. How does team composition work? Do people just pick who they’re best with? Do people just use characters that don’t require meter for the first two characters and just have their anchor be the user? I’m curious.

2. Execution-wise, what is the game like? Lots of one frame links? Chains? How difficult are bread and butter combos and the such?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Guess I’ll help out:

1. It depends. Sometimes due to matchups you’re inclined to match certain character with your opponents. But yes in general, first character is used as a battery second character is a character than can use meter but doesn’t need to use it, third character is the meter hog.
  2. Depends on the KOF. But in general it’s a bit easier than other games. There’s very little links, and most useful links are 2 frame links or more. But even characters that have useful links can be played at a good level without using the links. It technically has ‘chains’ but in its own way. Light normals chain into each other and heavy normals chain into command normals.

The stereotypical combo in KOF therefore is: crouch short > jab > special and close hard punch > command normal > special.

With XIII this combo ‘blueprint’ gets extended quite a bit, but it’s not actually difficult. Check out the KOF98/2002/XIII wiki, there’s info on the combo system. I would say BnB’s are generally easier in KOF (for most chars at least) than they are in SF4 (at least, if you have difficulty with links).

Oh wow, thanks. That’s what I wanted to know. Even more excited now.

For somebody rocking the tag Bog Terry, to have no clue how KOF works as a series is hilarious.

You’ll have a great time with XIII!