Vergil vs. Zoning

Ok I’m very new to this game so don’t yell at me! I recently decided on my team Wesker (Samurai Edge), Vergil (Rapid Slash), and Doom (Plasma). I’m having a really tough time against zoners, and I can’t teleport behind them while they are zoning because they always cancel into super, and there assist keep me from jumping in, and he stays just out of range for stinger/standing H. So my question is how do I get in? Does my team look realistic or does it need some revisions?

I play Virgil (y), Wesker, (b), Doom (a)

A few things with virgil you need to know that will improve your Sparta game against any type of player.

Number 1- Never teleport without an assist, X-Factor, or the championship belt (Spiral swords)
Virgil’s teleport is unsafe without one of the above. With our team. I play.

(M) (H) (Stinger)

If the stinger is blocked. call doom assist and teleport. If they press a button to hit virgil the doom assist will hit him giving you a free combo. (As a rule I don’t spend meter on a combo unless the character I’ve hit is below 50% health, I got a birthday combo working up, or I need to exterminate the problem in my opponents team) not to mention that this block string/teleport assist BS is a great tool for mix ups… Also you can mix up your teleports if you’re close enough with wesker assist teleport (H) (A.H) for a high low mix up that’s near unblockable…

Number 2- Don’t be afraid to burn meter to stay safe.

Trying to get in on zoning characters can be tricky. If you wiff a move you can call an assist or burn meter to keep yourself safe. Devil Trigger can make you a really lame player. and Dat Championship Belt will keep the mixup’s going, Swords (Teleport mixups). In Devil Trigger you can cancel wiffed normals with Specials. And The Judgement orbs are huge! and have so much durability.

Number 3- Stinger (Blocked) assist // Rapid Slash // Championship belt = instant in!

doom’s beam will blast everything out of virgil’s way. Rapid slash will bring you right to your opponent and the belt keeps you safe while giving you a free in on zoning characters and a mix up chance to open them up, I believe this to be a better use of meter.

Number 4- Judgement orbs keep Virgil safe

Any blockstring should be ended with judgement orbs. There’s only a few things that can punish it… and they all cost meter. and can be X-factor’d if it’s vital enough to save Virgil’s life. (Not fully tested but from what I gather there’s not much to punish judgement orbs)

Finally…

Number 5- Know the tools of your opponents and they’re mannerisms

this is universal… Know what your opponent has and shut him down. punish the mistakes of players bad habits. If there’s anything I know as a player is that everyone has bad habits. show players respect until you find the time to strike. every waking moment in a match you should watch your opponents mannerisms and learn to use them against 'em… That’s key to success in every fighter…

Awesome thanx for the advice! Since you’re using the same team can I ask what order you use them in and why? (That Wesker assist into A. H is gold btw!)

yeah… it’s quite Gdlk…

Just a few more notes from watching other virgils…

ABUSE NUMBER 3 (look above…)

Tis retarded that is to block… even if you block the rapid slash… you than get swords left/right teleport mixups + Wesker gun A.H High low mix ups… Shit’s commin from every angle… lol

What about using the Round Trip glitch against zoning? Will that work effectively?

To my understanding the Round trip glitch requires you to be close to your opponent right? So If you can get close to them to use the round trip glitch than you shouldn’t have problems getting in on Zoning characters to begin with… (coming from a guy who doesn’t use the RTG ever…)

And Dark knight, I use The team
Virgil (y) Wesker (b) and Doom (a)

Because I look at things in an assist standing… You gotta weigh up the fact that Vergil needs Doom and Wesker A LOT more than Wesker or doom really need Vergil. They can both USE Vergil therefore if Vergil gets snapped back or if you need to re arrange the team for a bad personal matchup it still works ok… HOWEVER, With no doom assist Teleports are next to gone without meter… and with no wesker Virgil needs to shorten his combo’s (The easy one’s anyway…) So I point Vergil on point to get the most out of him