Using Hard Drive to escape incoming setups?

Is it possible to escape a meaty incoming setup with hard drive?

I set the Magneto training dummy to do snapback into a meaty jH setup over and over again, and out of 50+ tries, I couldn’t hard drive even once. Unless there’s some trick that I don’t know about, I’m almost sure it’s impossible to hard drive out of a meaty setup.

Thoughts/experiences?

It is possible to Hard Drive out, a tactic I tend to do is to mash out the QCF motion over an over again and then press the two attacks the moment I see an inch of Sentinel coming in.

It’s entirely possible to avoid meaty setups, since I’ve managed to avoid setups with a meaty Jam Session assist. It’s more of a tactic to roll/mash the qcf motion to get Hard Drive.

Figured this deserved to be bumped, because…

Per my tests, it’s not possible to avoid meaty setups on incoming.

The test I ran was with Ryu, doing Snapback -> superjump -> meaty Beam Hyper. With the setup I recorded, it was 100% impossible to do anything but block or get hit; even XFCing happened out of blockstun, with a tiny amount of block damage, every time it came out.

That said, it’s not necessary to “roll it out and mash the buttons and cross your fingers and pray”.

Just learn how to do 236 -> 4 -> AtkAtk, fast enough to get hard drive. Time it correctly, and you’ll have a few frames of leeway where you’ll either block, OR get hard drive.

Alternatively, you can just do the easymode double jump back -> jL if you’re at airthrow risk and to make sure they’re not in your face in a position to pushblock punish it xx Hard Drive