Using ex DP to go thru ultra and punish with throw

I did not know you could do this!!
http://youtu.be/jhxZdOqruEo

Common xbox live tactic.

Common my ass :wink: The Oni player tried to punish crouching mk with ultra but the ultra is too slow for that, the invincibility of the ex srk allowed ryu to pass thru the ultra and punish oni with a throw on the other side. Those reactions are too crisp for a xbl match

Don’t know if serious…
I’ll bite the troll bait in case noobs read this thread.

People stay mashing counter ultra during an ultra freeze. Mashing is unstable and sometimes they get ex dp instead. You can see this for yourself if you try doing link ultras vs standing like Blanka or character specific ones for Ken and Ryu U2s and there are plenty more. So yes, its a common online tactic because it will happen a lot if you take the risk and miss…

Yea. No reaction there. He was just mashing ex dp to avoid the ultra if the c.mk recovered in time.

Why is it an “online tactic”? What does that even mean? Is it not possible to do this in real life?

An online tactic is a tactic that is more beneficial in online play than offline play. Mashing is generally an online tactic because precision reversals are more difficult online. Offline, precision is more dependable. I’m assuming the player got the DP because they mashed out the reversal Ultra.

When reviewing replays, unless the player is commenting or the inputs are displayed, everything is speculation. I’m speculating that the player mashed the motions instead of pressed 2 out of 3 punch button because generally players use the 3 punch button for ultra. This is the most likely scenario to me so I commented the way I did.

I see. I just didn’t understand why you called it an online tactic if it could be done both online and offline.

Keep in mind a “tactic” is just a strategy employed to achieve a goal. The reason player’s refer to “online tactics”, or less politely “online shenanigans” is because the viability of those particular tactics are less stable in certain environments. Not only is mashing out a reversal in an offline setting less necessary than online because of the lack of delay, it’s also incredibly obvious because the noise and commotion that it makes. Alone in your home no one can hear our loud/obnoxious inputs; but when your opponent is sitting shoulder to shoulder with you it’s a different story.

There’s other examples too. The innate delay when playing online makes certain things less risky: jumping for instance. Check out how many times my low fierce trades with Evil Ryu’s jump ins:

http://youtu.be/OOAnhn7k7JY

I could not believe how many times I traded with that Evil Ryu with my anti-air. (I know, I know I should have uppercut . . . ) Offline? No way. I’m not perfect but there’s no way I would have had that many trades in all those anti-air situations. I’m not making excuses, I’m just saying that when analyzing online play you do have to take into account the environment to a certain degree. Certain things can just work out better for you because of the nature of the setting; and people know that and strategize to take advantage of it.

I think Dieminion did something similar to this last week and everyone was jizzing their pants for some reason.

Negative sir, he did a sonic boom, got ultra’d in the middle of the start up then found the time to charge and the precision to use his one chance to super cancel. He executed this, it was difficult, rare and worth praise…

Guile’s super is not a super you can mash out with much success…

It was perfectly timed, extremely difficult and totally unexpected given the circumstances. It was literally a double anti projectile punish situation.

The whole set was really cool. The super cancel was just the top highlight of an extremely good set.

He wasn’t mashing out an ultra, he was mashing out ex dp, which you can easily do by pressing two buttons rapidly instead of three buttons (or three punch button). In fact, he couldn’t mash out an ultra because he had ultra 2, which uses kicks not punches and he didn’t have the meter for it anyway.

Oni’s ultra 1 is -4 if you block it, meaning that from that range it is unpunishable by Ryu except with super which he didn’t have. He was mashing out ex dp because he wasn’t sure if he would recover from his cr.mk in time to jump over the ultra for a full punish so he mashed out ex dp to go through it instead. If he didn’t recover in time he would get hit anyway, but since he did recover in time he was able to do a dp quick enough through it and punish it.

He did the best possible move in that position, and it wasn’t just a dumb guess or read, it was literally the best option he had.

Blocking was the best thing, Oni has an up version of that ultra…

You can tell the difference between the up and forward versions during the second half of the ultra flash allowing you to react accordingly. If Oni does the forward version he charges the hadoken like Ryu’s ultra 1 at his side. If Oni does the up version he charges it behind his back and the camera shifts lower and angles upward.

Why would Oni do the up version of that Ultra anyway? Ryu was in the middle of a ground attack.

The Oni player didn’t react to the Ryu player doing a ground attack, he just threw it out regardless in order to start a desperate comeback. Doing the up version like that would only work if he thought that the Ryu player would do a late jump or if he thought that the Ryu player couldn’t tell the difference between the versions and would mash uppercut regardless and get caught in the ultra as he was falling down.

never noticed
whats the diff between sak up ball and hori?

When you yolo ultra, you just gotta go for it sometimes bro…

I can’t see any differences between sakura’s up and forward versions until after the flash