Upgrading gaming PC questions

Looking to upgrade main parts

Currently:

Cpu: A64 3500+
Vid: Radeon X800XL
Mem: 1 gb generic ram
mobo: gigabyte nForce4 ultra

CPU: I am debating between INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6850 3.0GHz and
INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4 GHz Prices are almost identical, and I just flat out don’t know which ones to get…

Vid: GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb (the main thing that prompted me to upgrade… My current card doesn’t support shader 3.0… any card better than this at the price range?)

Memory: 2gb generic ram, I don’t OC so I want to save some money, any recommendation?

Mobo: Not sure which one to get, mainly something that has room for future upgrade.

HD: Is there a big difference using a 10k rpm HD for gaming vs the 7.5k rpm ones? Is it a worthwhile investment to buy a small 10k rpm for speed sensitive stuff?

powersupply: I currently use the stock PS that comes with my case, but I think that’d no longer cut it… so what wattage should be a safe bet for me…

I personally would go quad. Some developers say they will skip dual core and go straight to quad soon. Quad is more versatile if you do lots of a/v like photoshop, encoding etc besides gaming. Also gaming is usually more gfx limited than cpu unless you’re running crazy resolutions. I cant tell 80 fps from 89 fps. However, dual’s run cooler and usually have higher mhz.

As for graphics card, the 8800GTS 320mb IS the best bang for the buck. Nothing can touch it for the money. The extra 320mb on the higher model doenst do much unless at high resolutions.

If you dont overclock, the cheapest RAM you can get is 1GB 667mhz HP for $25 after rebate. Sometimes even cheaper. I got it for $15.

I would get the one of the P35 boards with DDR2. DDR3 is crazy expensive and the chipset seems to give a better boost than new DDR3.

Finally, for power supply. Go get a Corsair 620watt from Buy.com. You will not regret it.

Go all out and get a 15k rpm SCSI Hard Drive. Fastest you can buy for $1,000.

7.2 vs. 10k rpm for Hard Drives I have found does not make a huge difference unless you feel like overclocking and pushing every number to it’s extreme.

Made my purchase and parts assembled and formatted/reinstalled window.

At the end this is what I bought:

PSU: Corsair 620watt
Mobo: Asus P5K
CPU: Intel Q6600
Vid Card: EVGA Superclocked GF8800 GTS
Ram: 2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2
and a Antec Case fan