Upcoming tournament advice

Hey! So I play Oni and I am around a 1500 - 2000k+ PP player attending my first major this Friday. I have a few questions regarding Oni matchups as well as a few other things.

1. Need advice on the Oni vs Blanka matchup. I basically lay back wait for blanka balls/slides and punish with either tc2->stomp or sweep or forward heavy punch depending on range.
  2. Which normals should I use to beat out dive kick characters.
  3. For some reason I have gotten much worse at Oni combos including light slash but can do combos with mk tatsu. Is there any benefit to using mk tatsu for combos instead of lk slash?
  4. Who is a good secondary to use when maining Oni? I currently know how to use the following: Ryu, Evil Ryu, Akuma, Seth, Yun but my Ryu/E.Ryu stand out most from those characters.
  5. Any particular advice for charge character match ups as a whole? I have a ton of trouble against great chuns/bisons and in fact any character that zones/lames Oni out I seem to have a ton of issues getting in on.

Thanks for taking your time to read this and I hope to get a response as soon as possible!

1.jab him out of balls but watch out for slides. Jab spam can be used to bait slides.
2.stand jab, stand mp, stand mk, f hk, stand hp, cr hp, neutral jump mp, neutral jump mk.
3.mk tatsu gives more plus frames which is why its easier to do fadc combos from it. Do it when you dont feel confident in hitting the links. Mk tatsu forces stand so you dont have to do croup hp or burn another meter to do the standard combos. Other then that no other benefit because you do less damage and stun. Oh and you can do mk tatsu fadc ultra 2 full animation on crouching chars(dont remember if it has to be ch or not)
4.Imo yun wrecks everyone oni has trouble with in terms of mid range dominant zoners. In terms of up close monsters like duddles/feithat also wreck oni evil can do better, but yun does ok.
5. Chun and bison are historically bad matchups for oni i say fuck it and just counterpick them with yun(your evil and reg ryu wont fair too too well against them because of their anti fireball tech, chun is a hard matchup for evil as well as oni).

Thanks for all of the info! One last follow up question. What would you say are some of the most important things to playing Oni well. I am trying to figure out what my next step as a player is and I have improved a great deal in the past month but I still don’t know all that much frame data and my other big issue is that I don’t know setups that other characters have such as akuma, sakura(especially), abel, etc.

Develop a strong neutral game, dont rely overly on gimmicks unless your playing someone who doesnt know how to punish, then go to town. Dont get impatient and get too buttony, learn to walk people into improperly spacing normals or specials and punish then play super lame. Thats how youll beat good people at least, against overly agressive scrubs you can let them hangthemselves by catching them with random jabs into combos or AA them to death.

Develop a strong neutral game, dont rely overly on gimmicks unless your playing someone who doesnt know how to punish, then go to town. Dont get impatient and get too buttony, learn to walk people into improperly spacing normals or specials and punish then play super lame. Thats how youll beat good people at least, against overly agressive scrubs you can let them hangthemselves by catching them with random jabs into combos or AA them to death.

Alright thanks for all of the great advice!

How’d it go?

So I went to Summer Jam and lost both of my matches right away --. Not to make excuses but I tend to get tournament jitters because I don’t play local often and my opponent was over 30 minutes late and got DQ’d and then the guy running my pool un DQ’d him literally when I was about to start the next match and it got me in a bit of a panic and I dropped every combo -_____-. Overall I did learn some thing from playing casuals and I have improved overall I just need to work out my local play nerves now. It was a pretty good time and I did happen to make top 8 in the other game I played so it went well.