Unblockable, Unfly and Fast Fly - What you need to know

Unblockable

There are a few frames in seninals c. fp (and possibly s. fp but I don’t use it) that are unblockable. The unblockable not only opens up new ways to land comboes but also ways to reset comboes. Keep in mind this is only a thread to give you the basics on all these functions and thus I will not go into the more advanced applications.

Easy way to learn the unblockable

First you need two controllers. What you do is go into training mode and put the training dummy on manual (of course the character you are using will be sentinal). Now with the 2nd controller hold up+back and with sentinal do a c. fp. What you should see is that your opponent will let go of his block (look carefully at the opponent. He should look like he is fidgeting/shaking at a certain point in the jump) Basically at the point that they are “un-blocking” is where the frames of the unblockable c. fp are. Now, all you have to do is time it so they land when they are letting go of their guard/un-blocking and now you are using the unblockable.

How to peform

Time it so the opponent lands on the c. fp as the beam is dissipating.

Why I think it works

You know how ryu shoots a hadouken at you and you get in guard stance when you hold back even though it’s not hitting you yet? Someone has said that the computer does not register the 2nd hit and does not consider it on the screen. It does not let you get into guard position and thus does not let you block it at all because it can’t “see” it.

Common Setups

1. Kill a character, new character comes in.
  2. When the opponent super jumps.
  3. (corner) launch, magic series, dp+rp, j. hp, (wait) j. hk (otg them with it and they will do a forced roll) (land) time the unblockable, rocket punch xxx HSF (this should not work on anyone with super armor)

Fast Fly*

When you fly there is a “start up” period while you are flying where you cannot attack. Fast Fly refers to a glitch that cancels this recovery period so you can attack as soon as you activate flight.

For example:

in the air: sj. lk, ff. (fast fly) lk, f. mk (call commando), dp + p

Basically with fast fly you can get the 2nd lk to combo off the first lk because you cancel the “start up”. Keep in mind you cannot call assists in super jump mode but you can in flight mode.

How to peform:
activate flight, put stick in neutral position then quickly press a direction + a attack (takes practice)

Unfly

Activate flight, attack then deactivate flight and attack. Can’t right? Well this glitch allows you to attack when you deactivate flight. I will now explain how you activate this glitch. Keep in mind however that after you activate this glitch it can only be used for around 4 fly activations whether you actually use the action in the unfly or not. After the 4 flys you will lose the glitch and if you want to have “unfly mode” again you have to do what you originally did to get it (get hit by something that leaves you airborne and does not knock down).

How to peform

You get this glitch by getting hit by any attack that leaves you airborne but does not knock you down (e.g commando assist, a air to air j. lp). Yes, YOU must get hit for it to be activated but really you are bound to get hit by something eventually anyways.

The Golden Rule

1. DO NOT normal jump. If you want to keep unfly you CANNOT normal jump at all. The moment you normal jump you lose your unfly even if you just activated the glitch.

Applications:

1. Allow you to block after you deactivate flight (also known as unfly such as in: c. fp, fly xxx unfly) Thus lets you bait AHVBs and other things aswell. Makes most things safer by cancelling the recovery with fly xxx unfly.
  2. Extend stomp patterns
  3. Extend comboes

Also check out this article:

http://www.shoryuken.com/features/s010705.shtml

Hope this helped.

• HJ

edit:

I found this while cleaning up in a thread called “Fake Unfly”. It is a tad advanced, I wasn’t even aware of it until now. This glitch is unrelated to the others and is not neccesary to use any of the other glitches noted above.

I just thought I throw this in, an easy way for newbies to learn Fast Fly is to do

jump in LK HK, jump up LK HK, fastfly LK HK Rocket Punch. (7hits)

You can just jump up HK FF LK HK RP, whatever you like. The thing that makes it easier to learn is that HK gives you a bit more time to fast fly, but you still need to fastfly for everything to hit. A good way to get it down and improve.

Good shit keep it coming!

isn’t there a way to get unfly without getting hit, i believe it only works on the dc, and arcade verison.

i believe you just sj, fly/unfly, then move the stick in any direction+plus attack, and you just made it seem as if you have unfly, and for some reason the computer reads it as if you have the glitch.

i believe it’s true cause i have done this quite a few times, but maybe im wrong.

You are.

ok i know now having testing it that it doesn’t work like that.

BUT…you can do on the ground light, medium, fly, unfly, and then you can hit after the unfly if you didn’t do a move while in the fly state.

I swear tho i remember someone posting something about getting unfly without getting hit, i think it was called Umeki unfly?

Just to be clear on the fast fly.

The direction and attack has to be simultaneous for it work?

no. Move. Attack. Quickly.

an attack takes up 1 action in the air (normal jump, fly mode, or unfly mode). unfly mode glitch gives you unlimited actions until you’ve unflyed 5 times (5?). but if you are in the air and haven’t pressed attack yet you can always attack.

without unfly mode you can do c.HP xx fly xx unfly, LK-HP or whatever… but if you don’t do you fly inputs exactly you’ll have a LK or HK come out during fly mode, even if you can’t see it. i think this only works if you cancel into fly off the ground. i posted in the ironman board that he can do (in the corner) c.LK, c.MP, c.HP xx fly xx unfly, LK -> inf and that works without unfly mode.

I think Sentinel gets pseudo-unfly if he flies/unflies and then attacks when the opponent is in block stun. That is, An empty fly/unfly then a normal while they’re being hit by an assist, I guess.

Don’t quote me on that.

yeah that’s what i just said… i think you may be able to do it in normal or super jump mode as well but i’m not sure.

how do you connect a fierce punch from unfly?

how do you connect:

from fly with opp on the ground: fiecrce kick,** unfly, fierce punch**

everytime i hit with the fierce kick while flying, i go unfly, then the fierce punch is not comin’ out. how do you connect that?

also how do you connect:

from fly with opp on the ground: lk, hk, unfly, lk, hk

???

1. f.hk unfly sj.hp

Two reasons why the sj.hp might not come out: 1) you don’t have unfly, or 2) you land before the hp can come out - it does have a startup period, you know. 2) can be fixed by pressing hp when you’re higher off the ground.

1. f.lk f.hk unfly sj.lk sj.hk

Uh, you don’t have unfly, buddy.

maybe some timing issues man… ermm? i can do it perfectly.

or maybe you still don’t have unfly.

I can use the other 3 god tiers without much problem but I still cant use sentinel to his fullest. Beaming + assists, regular air RP combos and your average stomp patterns are okay but I really want to learn how to do fastfly combos. Are there any online tutorial for this? Thanks in advance.

Practice this in training mode:

j.hk FF f.lk f.hk

When you see the j.hk come out, cancel it into flight and then immediately move the joystick to forward and simultaneously press lk. It should combo. Once you can do this consistently, practice this:

s.hk ^ pause (to get some extra height) sj.lk FF f.lk f.mk xx dpRP

All other fast fly combos are derivatives of this main combo.

I have a question about fastfly/unfly:

Is there a special way to dash in and have lk connect after you unfly?
ex: (fly mode),lk, hk, (unfly), dash, lk, mp, rocket punch, HSF. I cant seem to connect the dash, lk after I unfly.

Wow, I naturally ended up doing that…

Are you dashing by tapping the stick or hitting lp+hp? I never got the lk to connect until i started dashing with lp+hp is why I ask.

No. That combo isn’t very tolerant, though. Consider throwing in an attack after you unfly, but before you land.