UMvC3 Newbie, looking for advice

Howdy, SRK.

I just started picking up this game, got myself an arcade stick, and I’m currently running a team of Chris (Y)/Nemesis (B)/Rocket Raccoon (Y).

I’m really feeling Chris on point for his simple BnB’s and meter building ability. I’ve got his Grenade Throw assist set, but I honestly don’t use it much- however, I’ve seen it used effectively in Crossover Counters as a surprise setup, so that’s kinda cool.

Nemesis is my middleman. His Bioweapon Assault is a great DHC option for big damage (and shenanigans off an X-Factor) and Biohazard Rush has one of the highest armor scores in the game (as far as I know), so it’s a safe DHC option. I’m using his Launcher Slam assist right now, but I’m not sure if it’s my best option.

Coon was actually the first character I started using, and I’m learning new tricks with him every day. I’m using Pendulum as an approach tool for Chris and Nemesis, because otherwise, they have issues really getting in there. As a small character, he drops out of some combos and isn’t quite as easy to catch in a happy birthday. I love his Rock ‘n’ Roll and Mad Hopper hypers as DHC options. Rock ‘n’ Roll can be X-Factor cancelled to leave the opponent vulnerable- I can even raw tag in time to start up a combo while they’re still vulnerable this way! Mad Hopper also sets up some silly shenanigans on DHC.

If anyone has any experience with this team or a similar setup, I would appreciate some advice!

Hey, welcome to the chris community and the umvc3 community
Chris is a good character on point as a battery, cause of his high health. His grenade throw assist is good in setting up a defense, but its only good for a surprise. If you want to make a dirty mix up with chris and rocket raccoon, have chris have the gun fire assist, due to its near beam status, and use one of rocket raccoon’s teleports for a dirty and safer teleport mix up.

For a new player, you’re thinking really critically. Gj.

Think about your movement and how your assists cover it. Think of Chris’s gunfire like a moving cover for like, Nemesis cr.C and RR wavedash or teleport.

Learn how much hitstun each of your moves deals alone. I don’t mean numbers. I mean learn how to feel when and where you can pick up, and how. This is the most important skill you have when you get to intermediate levels of play.

Grind it out in the lab, but not just in combos. Setups are important too. For starters, try building a gaurdbreak setup for your team and solo. Do a meaty falling attack on incoming (maybe Pendulum?) that forces the other player to block. If they’re hit, combos. If they pushblock, they lose their throw invulnerability on incoming. If they don’t, they fall to the floor and you can do a low-throw 50-50.

For a new player, you’re thinking really critically. Gj.

Think about your movement and how your assists cover it. Think of Chris’s gunfire like a moving cover for like, Nemesis cr.C and RR wavedash or teleport.

Learn how much hitstun each of your moves deals alone. I don’t mean numbers. I mean learn how to feel when and where you can pick up, and how. This is the most important skill you have when you get to intermediate levels of play.

Grind it out in the lab, but not just in combos. Setups are important too. For starters, try building a gaurdbreak setup for your team and solo. Do a meaty falling attack on incoming (maybe Pendulum?) that forces the other player to block. If they’re hit, combos. If they pushblock, they lose their throw invulnerability on incoming. If they don’t, they fall to the floor and you can do a low-throw 50-50.

Thanks I’m just relatively new to srk, I’ve played marvel for a year now and used chris since i started(just a bit of background) , but that is what i kinda have set up for my chris zero dante team, use the gun shots as cover for a dash or teleport. it serves as a really dirty mix up if you can time it just right. Also one of the more advance chris is to save your ground bounce until the end of the combo, so use the machine gun to otg for a relaunch, and if you have an assist that you can keep the enemy in the combo so you can use the flame thrower, launcher, and use the magnum then another flame thrower, this does as much damage as another super then you can go into the sweep combo

not sure if you’re still running that Chris/Nems/Coon team, but the assist you have for Chris can help Nems combo-wise in a way (at least, that’s what I’ve experimented with as I’ve used Chris/Sent/Nems before), but the log trap assist does work well for Chris.