Ultra Choices

Can we get some input on which Ultra’s to use vs what characters? For instance, Hawk’s condor dive can be punished with U1 for full cinematic, and using U2 as AA is extremely rough.
Which Ultra’s on which characters? Why?

Which characters do you want to know about?

Yea I’m interested as well, especially which characters to use double ultra on.

I know its good vs. Bison and Chun.

W ultra you would use vs characters against which you have option selects with revolver or check their fireballs with but also get close enough to need a comeback factor once in a while.

It also depends on your playstyle, I like W ultra vs keepaway chars like Honda because the damage I take trying to get in I can make up with using U2.

Ultra I

Akuma : Punish fireballs and tp.
Blanka : Punish rolling attack with a a tight timing , vertical roll.
Dee-Jay : Punish fireballs.
Dhalsim : Punish fireballs and tp.
E.Honda : Punish high doskoi and medium (need reversal ultra) , it’s not worth it.
El Fuerte : Punish Q bomb , tostada press.
E.Ryu : Punish fireballs and tp.
Gouken : Punish fireballs.
Guile : Punish ex fireballs and baited flashkick , it’s not worth it.
Hakan : Whiff punish spd , it’s not worth it.
Hugo : Whiff punish spd , his dp it’s not worth it.
Juri : Punish fireballs.
Ken : Punish fireballs , it’s not worth it.
M.Bison : Punish ex psycho which passes through Adon , whiff punish headpress , his follow up if done close enough , his tp.
Oni : Punish fireballs , it’s not worth it.
Poison : Punish fireballs and love me tender.
Rose : Punish fireballs and reflect ?
Ryu : Punish fireballs.
Sagat : Punish fireballs.
Sakura : Punish fireballs , it’s not worth it.
Seth : Punish fireballs , it’s not worth it.
T.Hawk : Punish condor dive , spd , ultra I and II …
Vega : Punish sky high claw , flying barcelona , it’s not worth it.
Zangief : Whiff punish lariat ,spd , ultra I and II.

About the “not worth it” , it’s just my opinion , you can use ultra I if you want.

About the characters not listed , ultra II is an evidence.

About W ultra , all depends , by exemple against Hawk , if you want to dp fadc or ultra II his condor dive or spire , just use it.
Against Rose or Chun if you want to rush her (if you can) just use ultra II , all depend of your playstyle , if you like zoning and footsies , ultra W is a good choice , ultra I to close the neutral game and ultra II to kill , if your are aggressive , use ultra II even against strong zoning fireballs.

Blanka can actually make LP and EX horiball 100% safe vs. U1, and considering that LK jag kick already punishes them I think u2 is the stronger choice.

Thanks , it’s good to know and i forgot , ultra I “beats” Blanka ultra II , useful to avoid the chip damage.

Correct me if i’m wrong Veserius.

U1 is your go-to ultra against Hugo because of his backbreaker, you punish it on reaction when otherwise you’d need to walk back and buffer jagga kick.

You can just tooth u2

It seems like I should definitely be using U1 more in certain situations. Where with U2 it’s more of a more damaging combo ender, U1 seems to bring more options to the fight, in some cases.

It is also important to know which normals you can whiff punish or punish on block with Ultra 1 … there are some examples where it is very helpful to know that you have a long range whiff punish or block punish tool.

For instance … It is not only that you can counter Ryus fireball with Ultra 1 … you can also punish his sweep with Ultra 1 (reversal timing)

Other examples:

Onis forward HP can be whiff punished with Ultra 1 due to extreme long recovery
There are other several long range pokes that can be whiff punished if you buffer Ultra 1 in footsies … e.g. T-Hawks far HK / Sims far HP / others

Especially in MU where you have both you should always think in the way “hey … I got a 12 frame (+ active frames) long range punish special” … 12 frames is very fast for something with this range !!!

ultra 1 is not only about FB punish

just my 2 cents