Ultra 1 vs. Ultra 2

U2 is the cats pajamas…

When under heavy pressure and they rush up on you since he doesn’t have alot of wake up options, crowding him can get you U2 on wake up.
-I know it looks scrubby as hell, but it works.
I’ve tested all the projectile ultras/supers and on reaction U2 works, total invincibility. (when in range)

Combofiend swears by U1, and Fingercramps video gives alot of examples for comboing it in…

http://youtu.be/roOMmGkO9qM

Still feel like even with his massive mobility I’m personally getting more out of U2.
(i got rank 17 on day 1, i know i know… lol.)

at close range, IIRC. so if they combo into it, yeah.

since I played Cody before this (another shitass chracter – yay for shit tier!), I imagine anything punishable by Cody U2, Rolento’s U2 will punish as well, since they’re both quick at 7f.

otoh,

Akuma, Blanka, Honda, Ryu and E. Ryu, Guile, Ken, Bison - blocked Sweep punish

Abel - Change of Direction (second hit as overhead or final attack)
Akuma - Demon Flip Slide
Blanka - Almost any type/direction/strength of Blanka Ball except EX
Cammy - Spin Knuckle (before contact) and poorly spaced Spiral Arrows
Cody - All specials on block (except rocks and LP Criminal Upper)
DeeJay - EX Spin kicks
Dudley - EX MGB
E. Honda - MP and HP Headbutt
Fei Long - Any second or third rekka
Guy - Run slide (ex or regular)
Hakan - Any slide
Ibuki - Any Neckbreaker
Juri - HK and EX Pinwheel, EX Dive Kick
Oni - EX Slash and EX Air Dive
Rufus - EX Messiah Kick (U1, non-reversal timing)
Seth - All Lightning Legs
T. Hawk - Condor Dive (except EX)
Vega - Any blocked wall dive (regular, cross up, EX, etc).
Yang: Any 3rd Rekka (also 4th and 5th of EX).
Zangief - EX Green Hand and Lariat (must delay)

its me or u1 seemes quicker than u2 in traveling speed!! can someone confirm!! both have 7 startup but u1 can punish things that u2 cant…for exempl: akumas sweep at max range…

What ultra are you guys taking against Poison? She does have a fireball, but it’s crappy and very situation dependent. Do you take U2 to punish rekka or baited DPs, U1 just because, or W just in case? I don’t like taking W here unless I know for sure I’m getting mileage out of both, like against shotos. We need all the damage we can get, it feels like.

All the poisions i’ve versed so far throw the shit outta them fireballs, and it’s super easy to react to so U2 is working a charm. she’s just so succeptable to the U2 punishement from so many attacks. I’d always take U2, it just makes her have to respect you so much more. If comfort U1 is your thing tho i don’t think it really makes a huge diffrence

You should be able to punish DP FADC backdash with U1 and U2 against shotos.
May not work against fei, cammy and akuma as their backdashes are quite long.

if you guys didn’t know, you can combo off Ultra 2 with counter hit standing roundhouse. you can also combo Ultra 2 with EX Mekong Delta Air-Raid(i’m not sure if it works with normal MDA-R). I use Ultra 1 as an Anti air(Dive kick characters like Yun/Yang) and some players who likes to jump too much. Ultra 2 is my personal preference because you can react to fireballs. and does a ton of damage if it’s full.

they are the same speed out to a certain distance then U2 tappers off. but obviously U2 has a ton more range

The only match I’ve seen U1 would be more useful has been the Guy matchup, being the opportunities for U2 are easily avoided.

As a side note, I think Ultra Double is a really bad pick for Rolento. The decrease in damage really makes U1 weak because of combo scaling (since U1 is almost always done in combos) and makes the reward for landing a U2 much less satisfying. I’d say you should pick one or the other depending on the matchup, but I’ve been a Take No Prisoners fan since SFA3.

Ultra double isn’t mean to be attractive for the damage factor. Its there as a deterrent for options but also as serves as a tool for damage.

For example, against Dictator, I would use W ultra. With W Ultra stocked, he can’t EX Psycho Crusher, teleport or devils reverse, but also if he’s low on health, I can kill him with a BnB into U1.
If I would only use U1 in that matchup then he would escape pressure with a slap on the wrist.
If I would only use U2 in that matchup then it would be harder for me to convert into big damage.

Rolento’s W ultra takes a 75% damage reduction so I think its fair trade to lose lets say 100 damage for limiting your opponents choices.

This is all personal preference so you may be more comfortable using another ultra choice.

I say we figure out the best Ultra choices for each matchup as Rolento can use any advantage he can get.
Let me know your thoughts on the below:

Abel - U1
Adon - U1 (U2 is not reliable as an anti-tooth move)
Akuma - W
Boxer - U1 (potentially W to catch EX moves that escape your crossup pressure? needs some testing)
Blanka - W
CViper - U1
Cammy - U1
ChunLi - U1 (W if you play an extremely defensive chunli who fireballs alot)
Cody - U1
Dan - U1
Decapre - U1
DeeJay - W (Fireball is tough to hit with U2 but it acts more as a deterrant to stop DeeJay from controlling space with fireballs)
Dhalsim - U1 / W (unsure yet … haven’t played this match much)
Dudley - U1
EHonda - W
El Fuerte - U1
Elena - U1
ERyu - W
Feilong - U1
Gen - U1
Gouken - W
Guile - W
Guy - U1
Hakan - U1
Hugo - W
Ibuki - U1
Juri - U1
Ken - U1
Dictator - W
Makoto - U1
Oni - W
Poison - W (Fireball is very tough to hit with U2 but if you can stop her fireballing for even a second or two, this is a major advantage … she’s a bitch to fight)
Rolento - W
Rose - U1
Rufus - U1
Ryu - W
Sagat - W
Sakura - W
Seth - U1
Thawk - W
Claw - U1 (maybe W ultra if you’re game to catch wall dives)
Yang - U1
Yun - U1
Zangeif - W

I totally agree that his Ultra choice should be thought of as match specific. I like the idea of creating lists for Ultra match ups! Cheers Carnage!

I can’t help but notice that you never list a matchup where you would exclusively pick U2. I’m not sure I agree with that notion, especially against characters like Ryu, Sagat, Akuma, Rose etc.

But you did say this is your personal opinion, so I have to respect that.

U1 is really all-round … But U2 is tempting due its damage potential. Lately I only use U2 to experiment, im able to pull it a lot more. So much comeback potential and lots of ways to combo it, you just have to be on point to confirm hit/ punish whiffed moves.
IMO W ultra is not worth it, damage is so low, you can successfully land it and still lose the game.

I like it when people jump, so I smash them with U2 pretty much everytime on their landing frames. #gtfowithyourjumping~

My thoughts exactly.

I don’t know, a fully stocked W still does a third on its own, which is decent I think.

It is decent, but honestly… When someone use W against me, i have no fear. By the time you they get full charged W, they are already dead, so the comeback for them becomes less unlikely. On the other hand i can press and i dont fear doing a mistake, i can take 2 mid charged W and i m still good… :wink:
Again just my opinion for now.

Yeah thats true … Ryu, Sagat, Akuma you could go U2 depending on the style/skill level of opponent.
If I play an Ryu/Akuma that just fireballs/teleports all day then yeah I would pick U2.

Personally I like to have the option of U1 at my disposal as then they would have to fear fireballing but also eating a damaging combo.

I’m interested to see any of your guys ultra choices for each MU so chuck em up :slight_smile: