Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (UMK3)

K got it. Any recommended MAME properties for umk3 1.2 (I think I am playing the game at appropriate speeds)? Are there any negatives of this version compared to the arcade version (anything game breaking)?

I must say: playing this game on PAD, makes me a very happy LAD!!! :lol:

Yeah, UMK3 version 1.2 is the tournament standard version. For online play, Mame32k 64 is the easiest way to play with unlockable hiddens via a cheat function.

But playing on stick would do the trick.

Mame version is exact same as the arcade in terms of gameplay, because it is the arcade. Just make sure you have it on the correct aspect and that it’s running 100% at 53.2 fps no frame skip

yeah I can vouche for this game being godlike. the only reason I stopped playing as much is because the XBL community are 90% assholes, and not too much offline comp. I need to step my mame game up though.

another thing about this game that I think people will like is the versitility of playstyles per character… what I mean by that is almost any character can have a rushdown style of gameplay, or a zoning/turtling style. and It asks for the right amount in terms of execution. you can be very successful if your execution is ass, if you have those off days, or if your always on point, and advanced combos arent that hard to learn.

Yeah MK2 is nothing compared to UMK3, I’d play any 3D MK over it (and that is saying something lol)

Is P2P Mame the best way to play this online? I remember hating Kaillera and actually switching to the SNES version (crap port but zbattle still offered a better online experience for me) because of the lag. Lag is very noticeable in a fast paced game like UMK3.

And MKT wasn’t THAT bad if you don’t mind UMK3 with added broken characters, MK2 Raiden and Baraka were awesome, I just wish they took more time testing the game :confused:

Yeah, p2p mame is def. the best way to play.

What are the changes from version 1.1 to 1.2? It was my understanding that the revisions were cpu A.I. related. Did the early versions change the gameplay? My PCB is a 1.1 revision. Should I upgrade and change the roms?

Revision 1.1 had a glitch where if you beat the game and chose the Yin-Yang icon to fight Ermac, then beat him and let him fall down instead of finishing him off, you would get a free game. I’m sure there might have been something else too, I forget. 1.1 and 1.2 are vitually identical.

Big AI change from 1.1 to 1.2 was how the CPU reacts after flailback moves, like teleport punches for example, all CPU in 1.2 will either duck or attempt counters if you attack after contacting a flailback move, but sometimes it still enables them to get hit, like for example, jump back, kick, CPU projectiles, you TP, they flail, free combo in 1.1, but in 1.2 they will counter you, however if you do something like a spear vs certain characters, like Sektor, he will teleport and get hit. Still stupid AI. Also when they run at you in 1.1, and you jump, they are more likely to anti air you, in 1.2, they will often continue to run right into a starter combo. Otherwise no real 1 on 1 changes.

UMK3 on GGPO would be so fun…

latest FBA has support for UMK3 on Sega Genesis… that’s a pretty decent version, you might bug Ponder to add it

^Most of the MK ports are pretty bad, but I guess it would be better then nothing.

Anybody else completely pissed off about UMK3 being taken off of XBLA?

Yeah it’s pretty messed up. If you had it previously downloaded you can still play it. Though when you search for a game now, there’s like 20+ empty slots of bots or something. So it’s pretty hard to find a match. That’s why sites like in my sig are great so you can find players to play.

anyone know what i am getting a comctl32.dll error with mame32k 64?

i downloaded it from here: http://www.darktemplarz.com/downloads.php

is there a recommended source to download a working mame 32k 64?

I remember SNES zBattle UMK3 being pretty hot 5-6 years ago. I’d usually play that on my crappy PC, whenever the laptop was occupied. This was around the time I played in Shock’s Darktemplarz / Darkaddicts kaillera room.

Might have to bust out MAME and get some games in, I miss that game way too much. =/

I must admit, I do miss my copy of UMK for DS. I may have to rebuy it at some point in the near future.

Haven’t figured it out yet myself, you can still play it on Vista/7 but you have to manually edit the cfg which is annoying if you’ve never used it before as well since you can’t access game properties. I’ll try to figure it out tonight.

Alright I really appreciate that. I’m running on Vista too.

If there’s a better place to download a more update version of mame32k 64, i’m all ears. :smiley:

I like UMK, but they only have it at the arcade on cabinet, and MK3/U has the most fucked up button setup. Its not fun playing if the cabinet beats YOU. I can sometimes get a Stryker pop-up into gun and run shenanigan combos, but that, or a dial-a-combo with BL in it every blue moon. I never bought UMK on XBL because the buttons are not configurable, and I have played with block as L, and run as R(opposite of XBL)since SNES MK3, kept that setup for PSX MK3, and PSX MKT. 15 years, I’m not changing now.

I brought my copy of MKT once, and it was THE game of that night, I’ll have to make a repeat. So much more comfortable on PS3 pad. Plus Raiden II is GDLK.

Also if I want to run MAME ( I have UMK3 on it but the buttons suck to figure out so I just play MKT) what number button corresponds to which function?