Training mode practice

Hi guys, I’m having a bit of trouble on what to practice in training mode. I just usually get my combos down and some basic parries.
but I’m curious what other people do. How do you guys practice and what specifically do you do? Thanks

Consistency. Practice your combos regularly.
Not much more to that end of learning.

Creating a situation for you and a specific opponent could help you hide your anxieties. So, like, if you and an opponent were to find yourself at evens often but your nerves always gave them the upper hand, you could find reasons for feeling other ways at the end of the exchange.

For example, I tick grab but decide to bait grab and my opponent whiffs his grab-> punish. Here his anxieties will push him to a hasty decision and if you keep up your momentum there will not be any reason for him to not believe that he is still in danger of being punished. SO, knowing that, you can continue threatening until he breaks down. How you can use this in training mode is by creating a scheme of options that will allow you to “keep him guessing”. So, like, taking control by being focused and present, in situations where the opponent simply has not caught up. This is the offensive aspect of what I described above. The defensive aspect would be that you as the defender would supply yourself, gear up, with the grab game and funnel out action into another “game”.

This is why I just stick to mobility. I’ll move there and then learn it instead of learning how to move there and then having to learn it bc idk what else to do. This way, I can just look for things to do and then see if all those things are necessarily applicable. Yes, necessarily. Decide on sure shots and play a shuffled game on them until they relent or force you to change/improve.

I say just practice dodging random normals in very unorthodox ways. I’m really good at that. Ask Tebbo. Just don’t expect him to admit it. It really helps you get a feel for the real shadowed vulnerability.

Like, I don’t know if this would make sense to you but did you ever play those shooting games on super nintendo? Sometimes it feels like the reticule that places the component, which in turn dictates character position, is like those cross-hairs they had on those games. It’s leading the way and you gotta find a good latency. If it changes too much, you really just need to “touch-play” it( like touch-type ), which is really lame because then it creates a “viable” reasoning pattern for why it’s okay to look at you opponents controller/stick instead of keeping your eyes on the game. It also invites the idea that someone needs to excuse this tactic. It really isn’t good for the community or the game at all because it cuts out a ton of the meta game ( yet the meta-game is why I play this fighting game rather than that other one where pressing buttons real loud and real fast is the only way to ROM ). As for the effect on the community, people complain about other player’s tactics everywhere. People complain about broken characters. People complain about balance. And people complain about an unfair advantage. But when people start complaining about things that the opponent is doing in real life, we invite causality into the situation by letting in the “unpredictability” that acted as the aversion to the violence in real life.

So, like, I am a small dude and I play Hugo. I play against this big dude that just completely “dominates” Hugo due to mobility, speed and agility. Well, let’s say Hugo has this shit and is totally messing with the other guy. Well, the other guy doesn’t know what to do and so looks down at his controller and notices how you move and when you move, without actually listening for it ( hearing is absolutely inevitable ). Well, he’s been pulled out of the game, I’ll tell you that much and he still doesn’t want to lose but he’s been pushed off his competitive edge so he resorts to playing it half-screen and half-hands.( There is an implied invulnerability when you play these games that you have to really just hold on to, blocking, because it is the “equalizer” among the different sized characters.) He is now playing on the irl size advantage, essentially threatening violence, and the advantage Hugo had in game is dwindling. An observant player will wonder and check for a why. When the Hugo figures that out he is losing this advantage at an irregular rate he starts to look for reasons that would make sense. When it turns out that the opponent is watching his hands and using that to figure out what to do instead of actually just playing the game itself it becomes half physical and half virtual. Upon noticing this, Hugo can try to out wit but this simply tells the physical player to go more physical. This eventually can induce hostility. And I don’t know if you’ve ever been around a big person or a even skycraper but to think of this tower as against you is really kinda like…daunting and now suddenly, all your years of hard work and effort ( something the community supposedly admires and encourages ) is thrown out the door because this dude was willing to lift heavy things for a long time instead of actually learning how to use his parts in a manner that would be conducive of a pro player.

Now if we’re going to invite the idea that this game should motivate people to live lives outside of video games then you guys are just reaching for straws and essentially doing what I’ve just described above and taken the match to somewhere you can actually compete. This tells me that I already have the upper hand and don’t need to move. If the the other player moves over and I refuse to give up my advantage, we will fall to a stalemate and never learn or grow. Continue to avoid an opportunity to grow or a challenge and it will become a habit to just runaway. The idea is to foster a feeling of community among ourselves and to be at ease within ourselves and within our community even when we happen to lose. Why do you think Goku ended up teaming with Yamcha and Vegeta? Loss didn’t mean death. The desire to win is like the desire to kill, it simply means you don’t want to be the one to die. And maybe sometimes you’ll find someone that you can admire or make a rival out of. And I don’t mean an arch-nemesis. Think Xavier Magneto rather than Wolverine Sabertooth.

This is why Japan always wins. I am hoping to change that in the near future.

Now standing up to the big guy shouldn’t be a big deal but sometimes the culture that brought him to such a conclusion isn’t exactly the type to let up if it, as a culture, feels challenged. So other people may join in if they feel that notion in the air.

I have this friend Shady that is the perfect example of how not to do that. Guy is big, guy is smart, guy is good.

Defense in this game is much more radical.