Tips thread

you’ll probably have to retrace it. it’s gonna be really difficult to remove the shadows and keep the shape because all the shades of shadows are very similar.

ok well say something more like… this!

what if i want to make the lines more clear but i dont have a scanner?

adjust the levels, edit>image>level, just fool around with it and you’ll see how it works.

move the right most tab inward until you see fit, then move the left most inward, then move the middle one left or right.Basicly it’ll let you adjust it to where it’ll drop out all the lighter shades and only take the darker one, and then you can darken the lines that are left.

thanks so much, ive been having trouble with scaners tat get all the shading anfd not enough of the countour, this will help alot, props to dreadedfist!:stuck_out_tongue:

I found a good muscle anatomy chart. Though, I, for one, would like to see what you have Bengus.

props to me!

To bring this thread back from the ashes…

I found out a new, well new to me shading technique. This is of course for traditional art. I was drawing this character today and I wanted to try out some new shading instead of smearing with my finga, I used a Q-tip. I got amazing results, It looks alot smoother than using your finger, don’t know how well it stands up to a blending stone/pencil but it worked wonders for me.

Now go, Go Shade with your new technique!

for traditional shading, my understanding was that you don’t smudge your work too much. If you control your pencil/charcoal so that you can get a variety of strokes & values. The transition is nicer too.

AFAIK smudging is good for applying a grey tone in the bg, and for certain specific effects (out of focus, water, etc). It shouldn’t be your main blending technique.

blunding stumps are great for applying really light tones of value. use it like a crayon.

qtips are great for watercolors.

cam_oc.jpg

I like to use this method of shading. Rook dosn’t really like that I do it so much but its kind of a cool lazy way to shade. (instead of a qtip, try a torn peice of tissue after shading from dark to light with your pencil)

Outro

Eww that book is terrible. Best reference for wrinkles is like everything else from real life, watch peoples clothes as they move, you don’t need to draw it (can be awkward) just remember it. If not from life then photos are your next best bet.
Your favourite artists probably drew from life so immitate their learning technique and you will have success too.

The wrinkles book by hogarth is actually very good. It’s not a good reference book though, because his wrinkles are wayyy overdone , like 10 thrust wrinkles on a shirt sleave. He shows you how kinetic force works and how it affect wrinkles. Like when you swing your arm and when you thrust your arm, would result in different wrinkles. I’m only on the first part (thrust wrinkles) and so far it’s helping. LIke I say, he over do the wrinkles so you can get a better understanding of how they works. Once you grasp the concept down, you should be able to draw wrinkles with your own style in it.

COP THAT BOY TODAY!

Yeah I didn’t say Hogarth was the the best or anything, just good for learning. Yes everyone knows he exaggerates everything and is more for comic book anatomy.

Oh and dfist did you ever get that bridegman book and vanderpeol too. Which ones you got I can’t remember.

everyone knows that life is the best possible reference, second being photographhs; but the next best, imo, is from paintings, particularly from the works of michelangelo and other classical painters.

nah peter I didn’t get the vanderpoel and bridgman books, i just got hogarth, walt reed, stephen peck, and this perspective book. I didn’t get them since they seem to be for figure drawings, and I already have the walt reed book on figure drawing.

DIGITAL ZIPATONE?

Hey I’ve been dying to find a solution to this for so long. Does anyone know how to replicate zippertone dots in a digital format? It seems like such a simple task but I haven’t found a simple solution yet.
BTW the converting to bitmap technique seems to create moire patterns when printed, which look plain ugly. >:P

DIGITAL ZIPATONE?

Are you talking about the dots in the street fighter comic cheap shots? If so I know ps cs automatically has them somewhere, but I totally forgot. If this isn’t what your talking about just ignore what I wrote.

my friend smears pen with an eraser, its badass.

DIGITAL ZIPATONE?

very good question. Been wondering that for years!

heres how i do fake xenotabs

http://polykarbon.com/tutorials/halftones/tone1.htm