Tips and help appreciated

Hello everyone!

I picked up SF4 again after about 2 years break and see that they added this big red man - I had to main this guy. And now I’ve put about 60-70 hours into Hakan and realised it’s gonna take about ten times that to become even decent and I could really use some pointers!

The biggest problems I have is being tick throwed out of everything, and without a reliable reversal I get pressured into the corner really easy where cross-ups and mix-ups get the better of me, although I’ve become quite good at blocking I can just never break the offense of the opposing player unless he does rookie mistakes like for example DP after I blocked a chain. Also, I really can’t grasp the anti-air options at all. I’ve tried using standing hp and forward mp for the most part but neither rarerly even trades, so some tips there would be great too!

As for my own pressure I can barerly do any, until now I mostly rely on the other guy failing to realise how the slide works. I find it really hard to get up and close on my opponent and besides jumping in like a doork or trying to use meaty slides, I just can’t seem to do anything offensive. I’ve tried dashing forward and abusing hakans throw range, however my opponents rarerly falls for it and often just jump in and start up their pressure instead.

When I got my opponent on the ground I at least have a working strategy to use - which is often why I can score some actual victories. Mixing it up with 360p and slide works, however reading here I see people talking about cross-up with j.hk? I’ve tried it out in training mode and I can’t get any of hakan’s moves to cross-up for the life of me! So if there’s any other ways to mix up this part of my game I would gladly appreciate some tips!

Lastly, 360k. I just can’t find a good way to use this move, at all. I use it sometimes when my opponent is prone on constantly jumping backwards as his wake-up choice, however it has a tendency of not hitting sadly so often it’s better just jumping forward and airgrabbing. How do I make use of 360k in a productive way?

So well, alot of questions but I hope I can just get some kind of pointer cause right now it feels a bit tough for me! If you can’t feel like helping with all… my defensive game is in the most gravest need :slight_smile:

Tick throws are huge banes to us but a mashed grab is what you use to try and reinforce caution from the other player. That is, if you have oil and if you’re playing Chocolate SSFIV you’ll have a lot less to work with. Learn his normals and fundamentals like crouch teching as well as other aspects of Hakan like fighting un-oiled. You’ll find you improve your ground game when you know your own range and a lot of skill comes from experience so don’t give up.

Not sure if you have Arcade Edition but Hakan is an underestimated force to be reckoned with. You should look up the “uncrouchable” oil dive setups he has if you haven’t. It really does some serious damage but seems gimmicky after a while because everyone can crouch jab it or back dash for the most part.

His anti-air game can be a bit difficult to work with but you’ll have to become better at reading your opponents habits and try the air grab he has. Ultra 2 is also great for keeping pressure off but you might be baited into using it improperly while U1 keeps grounds pressure off but once again can be baited so you’ll have to play smarter. Practice makes improvement! Good luck! Oh, and if you are playing AE use his oil dive cower crouch cancel to build bar. It’s crazy how fast he can get meter!

Thanks for the answer!

I now have about double the amount of time put into hakan and frankly I’m going nowhere. I feel more powerful as my 5-10 hour Ken than with Hakan sometimes. Is there noone else who has any kind of advice? :frowning:

As for the “uncrouchables” I don’t really understand how they work and such a gimmick wouldn’t really improve my game.

Difficult to work with? I got it kind of but man having a light attack as a main anti air that has a habit of trading pretty much encourage jump-ins so most of the time I just block if I think s.HP won’t work (which it usually doesn’t :/)

Hey, check out my channel www.youtube.com/sudafreekan, there’s playlists there that might be able to help you :)<br>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKTE1zxJEFQ<br>This is a video by a guy called Personapip, there is some explanations about “uncrouchables”.

I’ve switched to Gouken, got tired of the frustration hakan brought me I’m afraid :frowning:  thanks anyways you guys, appreciated!!

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/83222/Valroyy">Valroyy</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>I’ve switched to Gouken, got tired of the frustration hakan brought me I’m afraid :frowning:  thanks anyways you guys, appreciated!!</div>
</blockquote>

You could at least move up the tier list ;)<div><br>Best of luck.</div>

<br>

<blockquote class=“Quote”>
<div class=“QuoteAuthor”><a href="/profile/83222/Valroyy">Valroyy</a> said:</div>
<div class=“QuoteText”>I’ve switched to Gouken, got tired of the frustration hakan brought me I’m afraid :frowning:  thanks anyways you guys, appreciated!!</div>
</blockquote>

Gouken will bring you even more frustration don´t worry, the old guy might be easier to use than Hakan, but not really better.<br>Good luck.<br> <br>Hakan isn´t a character that gives you immediately success , he has a very long learning curve.<br><br>

Haha, Gouken sure has his set of problems but he can at least deal with pressure (although badly) while Hakan just can’t! This thing alone takes away a huge chunk of frustration since I after a match clearly can point out what I could have done differently, while with Hakan the answer simply is “don’t let em’ get in on you”.