Timing Issue

I’m primarily a SF player and trying to get into Tekken as a secondary. I’ve played since 3 but nothing more than just casual. Now that I’m actually researching combos, I’m noticing that my timing is off really bad. I can pull off combos if I double or even triple tap the next button in the combo to follow it through but it’s lead to a lot of dropped combos and I don’t want to develop a bad habit. It just seems like there’s considerably more ‘lag’ in on-screen execution than just my fingers.

What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me with a few pointers?

No that’s normal, in Tekken there will be instances where you have to input commands in specific timings. Lenience is somewhat restricted in combo cases and yeah mashing might just sometimes screw you over. It’s more important to focus on the input and get the general rhythm of it down through muscle memory and visual cues.

There is always the ‘practice moar’ advice but then how about this, which combo are you specifically trying to do? There are specific advice for specific combos.

Pretty much what is written above. Just practice getting the rythm for the combos down, it might be hard at first, but it will eventually come naturally. Mashing won’t do you good since this will sometimes lead to dropped combos. A good example of this is certain Lili combos where you bound with df+3. If you mash, it will almost always whiff, but simply timing the B! will always hit.

see what you guys are saying. I always try for the10-hit combos in the command list when I play to get a feeling of the timing but some are easier than others. I don’t know, it feels slower-paced to me and that if I press a button just once, I almost never get anything but I have to press it repeatedly to register.

I’m not new to Tekken but I’ve recently wanted to get serious so forgive me if I can’t explain it so well;

I play Hwoarang so…

U/F 3,4,3

It’s a series of air kicks, similar to Juri’s EX Dive Kick, that can be followed up with b+4,4 I think.

^^That’s how it should be^^

What I do for it to register

U/F 3,3,3,4,4,4,3,3,3

It’s like multiple taps to secure you get it right, it feels like I’m playing WWF Attitude again.

Tekken combos arent hard to time at all compared to SF combos. The only time Tekken combos get complicted is when your trying to get max damage out of your juggles. Thats when you have to be more precise with your timing and spacing. Tekkens much diff than SF. Its generally ok to mash . But for that Hworang combo. for me, UF 3,4,333333333333333333333333 never fails. BTW, never do the 10 hit combos in a real fight. Eventually, there will be a low attack in it, it will be parried, and you will be punished. In SF terms, in 10 hit combo could be compared to fake ass block strings…which i refuse to call frame traps.

First off, you should focus on movement more than anything if you’re just getting into Tekken. Backdash canceling, sidestepping, and the general flow of movement should be your first priority (check LevelUpYourGame’s first episode on youtube). It is very different from SF, and being constantly ducking in and out is a vital skill for all characters, and some more so than others.

But for juggles, you literally just have to get the timing right. It’s the same thing as mashing out cr.LP cr.LK cr.MPxxSoul Spiral as Rose, or mashing cr.LP cr.LP st. LP cr.RH as Rog, sure sometimes it will work, but having the consistency of links down is far better. And, if you get into a stance based character you will never get past the stance cancels which are vital for most of them. For that chain, learn to quickly “triple tap” or whatever between chained moves is important for bridging execution gaps. Going from 3 to 4 to 3 should never be a speed issue if you just quickly tap FROM 3 to 4 etc rather than individually “linking” them 2D-style, on a stick this should be really easy but if you play pad I’d suggest learning the “claw” method. Btw, tekkenzaibatsu is a great place to learn about this game. The character forums and the general strats forums are beastly. /advertisement.

And of course, make sure you’re controller isn’t fucked.

That’s actually the exact starter info I need. I’m actually downloading all the episodes on my tablet for my 12+hr shift tomorrow. Tons of studying up to do.

You’ve been a giant help!

I’ve never heard of a top or high level player that double taps or mashes anything out except for instances of block punishment

@(CHI) If that’s toward me, I was just commenting on the overall speed of doing chains. Going from 2D to 3D games people usually don’t do chains quickly enough because they’re used to 2D style links, same thing with going to games like Marvel or chain based games. At least, from my experience.

If not, good day.

Thanks to Optimus’ advice and some practice, I’m getting the hang of things although Hwoarang seems sorta easy mode compared to others. I’m trying to optimize my juggle game (first mission, learn how to JFSR correctly), but I haven’t been able to find much. Off Hwo’s B+2 launcher (I think thats the notation, it’s just a straight legged launcher) I can get a few 1 or 2 normals and a low insignificant kick but the opponent is floored and that’s it.

Sorry for the n00b-like posts, Tekken just isn’t my game. It was always that sorta game to play for a few matches and that’s it. I was always a more 2D sorta guy so everything is different. But…at least it’s somewhat easier than plinking.

no that wasn’t to you

also jfsr as the ‘first mission’ is a prime example of trying to learn to run before you know how to walk

actually hwoarang is a pretty complicated character. his juggles are pretty advanced and situational and he has 4 stances including default LFF. you need a lot of patterns and an ability to gauge how your opponent reacts to his strings so you know how to apply his pressure. he’s the type of character that can literally take years to master

though if you like him, keep at it! a good hwo is a scary hwo