Thoughts on good secondary for Guiles bad match ups, (tournament level)

Hey guys. What are your thoughts on a secondary for tournaments to cover Guile’s bad match ups? I feel like as in ST, you need a secondary in order to compete in tourneys. For me, MY bad match ups with Guile are Balrog, Cammy, Laura, Bison. My initial thought was Rashid. Would like to hear different viewpoints and reasoning for your selection.

Rashid is an interesting choice, but I don’t see what your strategy would be using Rashid vs those 4 characters. Not that I know a ton about him, but I don’t see what he’d do vs those 4 characters that Guile wouldn’t be able to handle much better. I usually hear people pick up Rashid to deal with lame/zoning characters and those are all mid/close range characters.

Gief gives all 4 of those characters problems, so he’d be good to learn as a secondary. Rog, Laura and Bison have no invincible reversals other than super and a strong ranged neutral game so he can give them problems from a range and in close. Cammy can fight Gief, but her low vitality and now reliance on EX to escape wake up/meaty situations puts things a bit more in his favor.

My personal bad matchups are Balrog (which feels impossible right now) and weirdly Bison.

Everybody says Guile has the advantage against Bison because of history from older games where Guile vs bison was a 7-3 matchup in Guile’s favor. But truthfully in this game I feel Bison wrecks Guile. His knee press locks on and beats air attacks better than it ever has before. Bison can absorb projectiles. His ex devils reverse is invincible for a really long time and can bait out flash kicks. His normals are super plus on block. And finally when he activates v-trigger, he can dash through guile and fuck up his charge. I know guile is supposed to be top tier in this game but people have been sleeping on how good Bison is since season 1 and he has got even better in Season 2.

Don’t pick up Alex. I’ve been using him as a secondary in street fighter 5 because I used to use him as a secondary in 3rd strike. All of Guile’s bad match ups, Alex is worse. Laura, Balrog and Mika mess Alex up.

I’m thinking I might pick up necalli. I think he’d be good against all the characters Guile is weak against. It’s just that he is such a dumb looking character. He looks stupid and his moves, while really good, look boring.

I use Bison, Urien and Nash as secondaries to Guile. Balrog is a good choice too but I just find him extremely boring to use. If you’re a player that can only play or favours charge characters (a bit like myself), just stick to learning them above anyone else. Between Guile, Balrog, Bison, Fang and Urien, you’d pretty much have an answer for the entire cast.

Ultimately it’s just best to learn as many characters as possible. I also play characters like Ryu and Rashid but I’m completely trash with them right now lol. Try to use every new character that comes out for season 2 and see if they fit your play style.