This is BUSHINRYU! The Zeku Combo Thread

Interesting, I need another pair of Jordans

RISING UP Series Zeku Combos
https://youtu.be/qdr7xqGwQTs

Added combos from Vesper Arcade’s videos that were not yet listed. Props to Mir and VesperArcade (Feel free to add damage/stun values to your vids)

B.throw into lk hadoken xx CA, only hits them if they press a button or something, is safe against reversal and will whiff if they dont press anything, jump, do a invincible move, etc, safe way to buffer into ca and they can’t (mostly, vega can wakeup super and hit you) punish you.

Please elaborate. If you are NOT discussing Zeku’s combos here, then please post them in the appropriate discussion threads:

@yuyinw3sk3r make sure you stay on topic. General strats should be in the general thread for the character

wat

Sorry u.u

Getting the slide to combo there is a pain.

Is this Youngs farthest corner carry?

Ending with VSkill probably puts them farther but this leaves you in young and right on top of them.

Maybe EX Palm,HP Hozanto,MP Palm goes further, I’ve to test it, sure thing ending the combo with Palm gives a perfect meaty after a perfect run-stop. Finish with the slide doesn’t sound a bad idea either, could be better in some MU.

Yeah I currently think OZ’s st.mk is kinda broken ATM. When I jump in shallow and hit with it in crossup a lot of times my st.mk is blockable. I don’t think they really thought about this enough with his slow mediums. Cause I’m hitting it decently high but I mean shit, I can do the same with other characters that have better crossups and hit them deeper. With oz his crossup is so bad that you have to press the button early to try and keep the opponent from walking under it.

Currently a kinda bad move.

I have trouble understanding you sorry haha. You mean broken in a bad way right ? (Not broken good) Also, are you talking about his j.mk or his st.mk ? I would agree that his j.mk is very very bad : start-up, active frames, hit stun, block stun, hitbox…nothing good. St.mk is ok but I only use it for CH fishing linked into st.hp etc…

My bad. I meant j.mk.

Broken can mean terribly bad like doesn’t work, or terribly good, like no ways around it.

Like if you have a dedicated anti air button and it can never AA, it’s broken in the bad way. This is oldschool terminology it goes both ways like aloha means hello and goodbye in Hawaiian.

Speaking of st.mk CH fishing, I hit people with Zekus st.hp all day as they wakeup from my throw. Should start to CH fish with st.mk instead. Save meter on block… if it works and the pushback isn’t to big.

I don’t think you’ll be in range for a st mk, st hp combo after a throw. You could walk forward for a few frames though

Yeah you are correct I just tried it out.

Ok so now I’m onto something new. It isn’t easy… but punk has laid the groundwork for us. We can actually deconstruct his offense just a bit and apply about 80% of his effectiveness for Karin to our zeku.

Punks string

Knock opponent down with Karin then:

St.lk,cr.mp,cr.mk

So the mixups are after the st.lk either throw or shimmy or frame trap. If the st.lk hits CH then punk can combo the entire string into a special. If his opponent tries to jab to beat the shimmy, the throw and the frame trap will hit them so those are really good options and why he goes for throw and frame trap so much. If the opponent tries to delay tech, the shimmy will get them.

And that’s all there is to it. Punks string is better than any string I could find with zeku because his string fully combos from CH while also frame trapping 3 frame buttons and hitting low on the last move that punk can confirm by itself. so it covers ALOT of options. It basically covers all options except reversal.

Well, I’ve found some reasonable facsimiles. You can pick which you like better, but neither string covers the low so it’s still not as good as Karin’s.

OZ
Blocked cr.lp,CH st.lp,st.lk xx dp. This isn’t hard to confirm at all and does good damage. Unfortunately CH st.lp,st.mp wiffs on standing characters. So the above string covers more options. Your shimmy should be st.mp xx ex teki xx hk koku. This isn’t hard to confirm in this context. Autopilot the st.mp and before it hits you should pre confirm the st.mp against the shimmying opponent. I can do it very consistently in training mode so it’s react doable.

Ok so that’s the one that hits 3 framers.
There is one that is better that can hit 4 framers and it has the awesome bonus of everything connecting on CH:

Cr.lp,st.mp,st.lk xx dp.

Once again you have the same options as before. Mixup with cr.lp>throw or cr.lp>frame trap>or cr.lp>shimmy

If punk uses this so well then we should be able to as well save for those pesky people that like to walk backwards. But once we have v trigger we can make them pay dearly.

So that’s a nice standard offense. It’s news to me. I used to think that I had to try and use delayed frame traps and stuff… but you really don’t because the opponent will need to jab very quickly to stop the shimmy. If they stay with delayed tech then the shimmy will eat them alive. If they press buttons then the frame trap and throw will beat them, if they like to do nothing then the throw will beat them. The shimmy is the option that “loses” to the most stuff, but it is also the highest damage option and it being 300 damage and giving a decent oki game is a good reason for the opponent to just block or press buttons, both of which lose to the tick throw.

YZ:

YZ punk string is MUCH better.

Cr.lp,st.mp,cr.mp xx ex bushin.

Shimmy with cr.mp xx ex hozanto or st.hp confirm.

That all combos on CH and is 3 frame tight plus is a perfect tick throw with no forward walk. So… practice these strings homies. Throw a bit more than frame trap and frame trap a bit more than shimmy imo, but your opponent will dictate this depending on how hard headed they are.

You can do these off of a blocked jumpin or a dashin or on the opponents wakeup. You decide.

OZ j.mk isn’t that good because OZ isn’t made to rushdown, probably the move itself generate a few amount of blockstun. We have Jakura as a primary option for aerial attacks,if isn’t possible we don’t need to crossup the opponent at all cost so j.hp looks better. Even if we end in our opponent face the attack has a good amount of blockstun, from there we have enough +oB normals to make our opponent afraid of press something, it’s like Necalli j.hp.

Punk Karin game is hard to replicate because of Karin walkspeed and normals. With OZ we’re just too slow with stubby buttons, with YZ we don’t have the same reach of Karin. The basic Karin combo starts with cr.mp, Punk and every Karin start with st.lk because it’s an optimal frame trap/shimmy starter. St.lk can’t combo into cr.mp, cr.mk has late cancel properties and coupled with his length it’s Karin most dangerous button midrange. We can translate partially this kind of play using YZ cr.mp as our Karin cr.mk,but we have less time to hitconfirm. Doing st.lk,st.mp if blocked leave us in a perfect range for an unmovable shimmy,we can punish throws from there with st.hp+st.hp tc.

I had the same good idea, but it’s hard to replicate this kind of gameplay with Zeku.

I’m having some success replicating the style already, just need to get better, missing confirms in lag and shit like that.

Also CH pushback fucked me a couple times so far.

-edit

… this game is so fucked LOL

So I’m playing a terrible fullscreen dash and fireball ryu. I frame trap him with young Zekus cr.lp,st.mp frame trap and the st.mp counterhits a fireball!.. this fucker mashes out a hadoken and Kara’s himself backwards halfway across the screen and mashes super against my wiffed cr.mp confirm!

What in the ever loving fuck! So ryu mashing fireball is the new tech!!!

It was the same as menas bullhorn/bullhead tech.

What ties together that whole karin string is the cr mk at the end. If people can just walk back they are not going to tech. If they don’t tech you won’t get a counter hit.
Old Zeku’s walk speed is also way worse than karin’s so you can’t stagger too much

Should be related to this

Yeah I know about that tech. But I actually hit his fireball in startup. But when I hit his fireball he got pushed way back so that my cr.mp wiffed when it shouldn’t have. Then since he was mashing like stupid he wiff punished my cr.mp with his super.

Shit was the stuff of beginners luck legends. Only seems to happen to me though, I get all the bullshit happening to me.

All the those block strings, as good as they are, only work in the corner (considering that the tick throw is the essential mix-up component). As I said before, all you have to do against Zeku is walk back after first blocked hit and there is no need to tech anything. I play a lot with the same people and once they realised that they could just walk out of range every time, it became much more difficult to open them. I now take a huge risk if I go for the cr.lp tick throw because they react and whiff punish hard. I really think Zeku should have more grab range (0.8 atm), it would solve this problem.