The Ultimate Storm Thread v2.01 (Updated 2020.07.25)

Based on the information provided by Yannick, How is hailstorm chipping more damage than lightning storm?

You might be reading that wrong. Minimum Hail Storm chip for all hits getting blocked with no mashing is 136.5K while Lightning Storm on hit unmashed is 289K. Let me know if my wording is unclear.

you’ve posted: lightning storm is 289,000-344,000 while hailstorm is 282,000-338,000. and then you said about lightning storm that: “The problem here is that this move doesn’t do significantly more damage than Hail Storm…”

Oh, that should be interpreted as, “This move does more damage than Hail Storm, but not enough to go out of your way to justify using it.”

Outside of 6-7K damage differential, which is EXTREMELY miniscule (and that’s not even counting the difference when they’re both scaled, which makes the gap even less meaningful), Hail Storm is better in just about every other dimension.

The thing I’m noticing about doing lightning storm after hailstorm is it makes the DHC window after tight or almost non existent depending on the assist recovery. Hailstorm has a few situations like this but not many as lightning storm. Hailstorm and elemental rage are probably the best for DHCing after the assist

Assist capable of double hailstorm hailstorm so far. These same characters can also set up the other supers but that should go without saying.

Akuma
Dante
Deadpool
Ghost Rider
Iron Fist
Spencer
Sentinel
Doctor Doom

Assist that can’t but allow other supers

Iron Man
Wolverine
Hawkeye
Vergil
Dormammu

I’m at work right now calling from what I’ve tested so far but I’ll update this post when I test more out.

I’ve noticed I haven’t explained how I’m doing it. I’m plinking the assist with lightning attack the moment Storm can move again after hailstorm.

An updated videofor yall

it’s too difficult to execute.

What part are you having trouble with?

@xero15 - recently Fanatiq was looking to learn NEW Bnb for Storm, I pointed him to your Storm BnB compilation. He dismissed the vid claiming that most of the combos were impractical in an actual high level situation and that most of it was just theory against a training dummy.
How many combos from Xero’s vid can you storm players use and can perform at least 80-85% against real competition (online or in tournament.
I personal use the flight combo, the ground jump loop combo, air throw combo as Brb
Justin wong uses the The air to ground H loops
Fanatiq uses the flight loops
JJJ uses the lightning attack BRB

And I use my shit and a few other variants. To each their own truly. That’s like saying the first infinite I came out with was impractical yet people were using it and then modifying it. Things are only as impractical as you are willing to make them. It’s not like they are stupid hard or long for that matter.

I must also give Yannick and Xero credit to keeping the Storm forums alive, w/ new tech, and organized. For awhile it seemed NOone cared for our elemental goddess.
Fanatiq stop playing marvel
Matrix move on to injustice
even Xero switch Storm out for Dorm
maybe Justin’s Evo performance gave Storm’s fanbase a jolt of energy that it needed?

PS
i also have to add
I asked Fanatiq if he felt slighted that alot of people started to give Storm respect after Justin’s performance at evo. After players like Chris g and flux picked up storm. He stated no - and that he knew Chris G was picking up storm when he picked up Morrigan. He also stated that all the other who picked her up would drop her once they knew how hard it was to win with her at that level.

The combos in the video are amazingly practical–part of the reason it’s called a BnB Compilation.

If he doesn’t want to use them, that’s fine and if he thinks they’re not optimal (some probably aren’t), then that’s fine, too.

But they’re all doable whenever you want as long as the spacing for your confirm is good (just like with ALL of Storm’s starters).

Like I said in the OP, these combos are much easier when you learn why they work. Those PacStrife variants, for example, were impossible for me when Pac and Xero were just discussing them so long ago–when I took a break from playing to learn how the game works back in late spring, I came back across these and now they’re almost always my combo of choice if I’m deep in enough for the << c.:m:, s.:s: >> portion to grant me the spacing I need. I’m sure you could even modify the timings to let you connect the more difficult variants even with suboptimal spacing. Not only that, but they all look stupid cool.

Also, double Hail Storm is bullshit. I fully expect Justin to be rocking this at NEC (please don’t let me down, Justin).

I never dropped Storm I always ran her. I was just actually practicing for a few tournaments and I needed to buff my Dorm. Spidey/Dorm/Doom has always been my main team since Ultimate dropped.

As for Storm’s combos, I’ve worked with NUMEROUS combos with her. The issue, aside from meter build, is that the more hits that go into some of them the weaker the combo in general does. While for some the more hits the better. It’s weird. Her combos are not created equal. I have one combo somewhere that if I make it “easier” by adding attacks like s:m: I can still get the same combo but lose 20K just for adding a move that’s suppose to increase damage. Let’s not even get started on her light attacks in general. Storm is not created equal at all, but yes she has a lot of tools and options. I just don’t feel that at two years out now that majority of Storm players are still doing day one BS from vanilla.

I just got around to reading this entire first page… good work!

Btw… looking at Storm’s hitboxes made me eternally sad. Those hitboxes for any normal with a whirlwind? So whack :frowning:

As for the Fanatiq thing… I gave up on that one a long time ago. Fanatiq is the type of player who needs to come into it on his own. He always fights new tech but eventually he will realize their usefulness. It’s the same thing with magnetic blast for Magneto. That said, I personally don’t like the lightning attack combos because the timing is quite wonky on it. Especially when trying to add assist calls into the mix… a 10th of a second can be the difference between switching sides or not in the combo. If it was easier like… do the 2nd lightning attack right away or wait until the very end of lightning attack (I think that was how it was in MvC2?) then it would be a bit more stable.

As for the double hailstorm thing… I don’t see that being used much. It seems too situational. My first criticism with it is that people already knew you could typhoon, hailstorm, elemental rage and nobody used that. Second is that from my testing, it is character specific. It didn’t work for me on Wolverine for example. But maybe I wasn’t doing it properly. Third is that it still gets less damage than something like Hailstorm DHC into Strange’s Spells into FoF loops. The only benefit is that you get to keep Storm on point which brings me back to saying it seems like a more situational thing.

Xero I do have a quick question for you… The Storm/Doom combo you did in the Shenanigans video… Can you do that combo without a THC and instead do a regular DHC? If you can do that so that Storm gets back on point and/or your third character doesn’t mess up the THC… that could be quite useful.

Finally… I just moved recently to a bigger city and there is a small local scene here so hopefully I will start improving and maybe even go to big tournaments! I think Philly has 3 notable ones per year so it is possible that I will try to get better at Marvel. Though right now SF is my main focus. Until Guilty Gear Xrd comes out… then I’m done with y’all lol

Yeah you can DHC back to Storm I just like missiles into THC :lol:. With the lightning attack combos you can omit one and still get the same combo overall for slightly less damage. So it would be j. :s: xx df lightning attack down lightning attack then proceed from there. As for double hailstorms I think it’s only looking situational because it’s new atm. Storm Strange gets so much because it’s Strange. The hoary hoths of hoggoth let him fuck the hsd system. I did a combo last night off a lightning attack loop into double hailstorm and got 930k. While not the best damage after DHCing it still did more than if I would have DHC’d to Dante first. Essentially it’s a way for for her to create a level three for herself since she falls into that category of with Dante but doesn’t have a level three like him.

True, but can you think of any alterations to make it non-character specific? For it to not work on a character like Wolverine (I’m guessing that probably means Morrigan too) is a major problem. I dunno though, unless there is a way to stabilize the double hailstorm I see it as situational still.

As for the Doom thing… that’s great then. I’m going to test it out when I get the chance to make sure it works on everyone and whatnot.

I’m going to try it on smaller characters later today. I have a long weekend so if there’s anything else you feel I should test please let me know.

Update. I just got it to work on Wolverine about to try Morrigan and Viewtiful Joe next oh and RR.

The only person I’m having a hard time actually landing it on is Raccoon. It his but it’s too inconsistent for him period.