The toxicity that is the Stages thread. Welcome to Disagree, USA

Onett’s problem is the houses create giant borders near walkoffs. It’s like having to approach someone camping the walk off by jumping at them. In this game. Where Landing traps are very prelevant.

Skyworld somehow has a cave of life AND a cave of death

Po, you’re not getting Magicant no matter what Pit and Ness’s Homie ‘Da Tiny Platform’ tells you.

i’m only going to comment on the 3ds list as it’s all i know. my changes are in bold.

Tortimer’s cannot be a neutral stage. the lack of ledges really hampers a lot of characters when recovering. the stage is fucking gigantic so it favors campy gameplay. the ship and the shark are random and greatly shift the gameplay to certain sides of the stage. the fruit are random and some are strong bombs. it also gives bee hives. there is way too much going against this stage to be neutral. i’m more on the banning this stage cause there are too many factors that go into influencing a match. i’ll leave it as a CP but it cannot be a neutral.

omega stages cannot be neutral as they cannot be selected with random. really no other reason, neutral stages have been regulated with random select so you can’t put an omega stage there when it can’t be selected with random. they instantly go to CP only because they cannot be selected by random select.

find mii, pictochat 2, wily’s castle, and unova have too many obstacles to fight with in a tournament match. something is crazy obtrusive or you’re playing dodge the obstacles for a good amount of time. find mii even gives buffs and debuffs to characters at random and the dragon randomly comes in and can KO. unova is the most tame but reshiram is a dick as he can take out a large portion of the stage

pac-maze has a shitty layout of the stage, a cave of life, and elongates matches a significant amount. the ghosts are the least worrisome thing here and it’s too easy to recover on this stage (you pretty much can’t edgeguard someone as there is almost always a safe place to land).

boxing ring is way too big and has permanent walk offs. it’s crazy campy and almost impossible to even finish a 2 stock match on.

spirit tracks is way too distracting to play a tournament setting match on. you’re dodging shit all the time and trying not to die on either the tracks or from something blowing up.

tomodachi is honestly just too campy. you can simply circle camp the living hell out of this stage. matches take too long and it benefits fast characters over slow ones too much. it’s a really cool concept but it’s way too campy.

brinstar removes too much of the stage and at a certain point gets to a “king of the hill” game. whoever has the top platform wins.

rainbow road is like it’s own category. it’s not terrible but it’s not good either. I’ll leave it in CP as it’s borderline but i still don’t think it’s that good of a stage. the cars are random and there are certain times where it’s almost impossible to dodge them.

mute city isn’t terrible, there just isn’t much place to fight and favors projectile characters greatly, more so than other stages. i’ll leave it as CP but i still don’t think it’s a good stage

reset bomb factory 1 is fine. too bad there is reset bomb factory 2. the 2nd part of the stage has a terrible layout, cave of life, and just a lot of options to recover to. it’s just…not good. if it was just RBF1, i’d say neutral but RBF2 sucks. it can stay as CP but i just don’t like it.

Arena Ferox has a cave of life and the smoke part when transforming actually blocks out the characters to the point where you can’t see them. It’s the most CP of all the stages and personally, I hate it but it’s w/e. it transforms, it’s a worse pokemon stadium and has a terrible cave of life.

the 3ds really doesn’t have many stages to work with

Well mood, sadly, I’d like for more than 10 stages to be available so I will not 1 to 1 implement your stage suggestions

Other than that, we’ll see

it really shouldn’t matter how many stages you have legal, as long as they are okay is what matters most

Japan plays on three stages…

We’re not doing that shit.

Go play any other 2D fighter if moving around the stage is too difficult for you.

i gave you 9-10 stages

teh 3ds has like…nothing to work with

3DS has plenty to work with if people would take the sticks outta their asses and learn to deal with stuff.

But of course, that requires people actually wanting to be willing to change and grow from the same old Melee shit, and we all know how that goes…

most of the time dealing with something is to just wait it out. makes matches longer

tomodachi life is probably the best example of this. there is nothing inherently wrong with the stage. it’s got a unique layout, kind of on the big side but nothing too big (like palutena’s temple for example), and doesn’t leave much room to safely recover.

but the layout of the stage allows a lot of room to run around and just be annoying. it causes a lot of time outs and favors vertically based characters a lot, mostly sword users. the more we figure out the stages, the more likely they are to be ban worthy.

wily castle cannot be legal po. yellow devil takes up way too much room

I need to fight some of you guys on Luigi’s mansion with this whole ‘cave of life’ thing you guys are talking about. I consider it more ‘cave of damage’ more than anything.

I’vegot nothing to do today. If anyone wants to defend the legality of some stages by playing some games, let me know

Which is why we’ve got a more liberal stage list in the early stages of the game

Playing on shit isn’t going to solve anything. I’ll take someone to Magicant, LOSE, and they’ll still bitch about Flying Man, despite him not even being a factor for 70% of the match.

Or take someone like LordWilliam to a seemingly tame stage like Pilotwings, and watch him shit up the game with stupid ass coward tactics.

Again, the problem isn’t the stages, it’s how awful human beings are in their obsession to win at any cost.

That’s kind of the point of a tournament though. We all hang out and play friendlies regularly. A tournament has something on the line, usually a prize worth winning or bragging rights or something. So I wouldn’t bring that argument up when discussing a tournament list. People will do whatever they can to win a tournament.

It’s funny, because the better player is going to win regardless of the situation. If I lose because I got too impatient against coward tactics, instead of waiting it out, that’s on me.
If Mood loses because he didn’t know about the blast zone changing on Delfino, well that’s his own fault*(which he will still bitch about)*…

Yellow Devil gives you a ten-second warning before he comes in, knock the other guy out of position and take the best spot to handle things… Oh wait, no, fuck that. Who has time for adapting and strategy even though that’s the same shit y’all throw at me when I bitch about stupid ass Lucario. Who is far more annoying than any stage hazard, Ridley included

I’m getting tired of fighting for this shit. Y’all are gonna ban everything until we’re playing on Smashville 85% of the time anyway, so I might as well try to get people drunk by playing Smashville Shots…

If the stage lets me play a certain way or use a certain tactic that takes away risk, I will go for it. I’m not going to stop taking advantage of the stage in a certain way just because you don’t like it.

As for Wily Castle, the problem is that the yellow devil obstructs the fight way too much. It takes up a ton of the stage, actively shoots stuff at you and will regularly go across the stage creating a wall of hitboxes. You’re not fighting your opponent at that point, you’re fighting the stage.

And STOP comparing Lucario to a stage hazard. You can’t compare a player-controlled character to a non-playable stage hazard.

I know from time to time, when playing Po or LW or someone in casuals, the stage may just obliterate us on whim. We’d all laugh it off and say ‘The winner was definitely the stage’. But if that were to happen in Grand Finals of my tournament, well, I’d have to give the prize to the stage. And everyone would get mad. Because frankly the stage is a terrible player and doesn’t deserve the win

So what’s a better Smashville? Smashville or Town and City?

I’m so glad based Sakurai gave us a choice between TWO SMASHVILLES… What an awesome guy.

My my, is that sarcastic disapproval of Sakurai I hear from Po? Now I know he’s not serious

I don’t think find mii is a good choice of a stage for a tournament because of the random buffs/nerfs that can give an advantage randomly.

Since you asked CG, when it comes to Luigi’s Mansion, here’s a couple matches between me and @Sonichuman on it.

http://youtu.be/LO1cKYu-G90