The Super Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread

Hey guys! New member here!

Let me just start by saying you guys are doing an incredible job at trying to make sense or piece together the Street Fighter lore. For the past couple of days I’ve been religiously going trough the prior thread to this, having lurked in this one as a guest from about the G/Sagat reveal for 5 and especially early on, pre ASF and the CFN profiles the outsanding job done by bak and later by him and Midgardsorm left me speechless. Of course, with the scans provided by Dark, so shout out to him too. And shout out to Yagami too for his incredibly insightful posts into the oriental themes running trough the series.

I guess I should also introduce myself a little, so here’s a bit of history. I’ve gotten into Street Fighter in my early teens, so I’ve been hooked on it for more than a decade now (I’ll probably be considered a kiddo compared to some of you guys). I’ve always been a fan of Street Fighter’s story, altough for a large amount of time I only pieced together stuff by myself based on endings and such. That is until around… Super SF4’s release when I found the old plot guide. At that time I remember joining both SRK and CU and discussing the story with more than just my own knowledge, albeit lightly (and that account is now lost to time). Of course, eventually I came across Vasili and his weird as hell theories like zombie/robot Gen and Gouken, the Charlie Nash name not being canon and those things always struck me as odd… Happy to see that there’ve been a lot of you combating such ideas from the start and with the dawn of the new Plot Guide it is nice to see one not tainted by such ridiculousness (tho I still have my fair share of respect for Vasili for being up to the task so no ill will should come to him from my side).

Anway, some general facts about my preferences so we know where we stand on from the start (lol):

• favorite characters, in order, Vega/Alex/Cody
  • least favorite, fatfuck Rufus (Ingrid doesn’t count cause she’s not a Street Fighter character)
  • favorite artstyles, Alpha2 and Second Impact
  • I geniunely think SFV’s general story is the best story mode in a fighter (emphasis on MODE)
  • I love most of the EX cast, but my dream game is one where every character is playable, so in order to make that happen easier I usually disregard them.

But I digress. Let’s talk about the story and what better way to start than with a question and a theory:

1. Back when Vasili was still active, he proposed the idea that Shin Akuma (aka Akuma not holding back, not CvS Orochi Akuma just to be clear) was actually stronger than Oni. Was there ever a merit to that argument? I basically know that has to be bullshit, but I’d like to hear some of the opposing side arguments, as ridiculous as they may sound.

2. Speculation time, but at this point there can’t be any denial that G and Q are connected in some fashion. My thoery on that is that G is recruiting fighters and turning them into Q’s. Without going into a ton of detail, the main evidence I find for that:
    a) G’s win quotes to basically everybody mention how “we are all one” which certainly lends credence to the idea that he conforms to some kind of uniformity. Kidnapping people, dressing them classy, putting them in masks and having them use an incomplete version of his style certainly seems uniform to me!
    b) despite G’s demeanor in the story and despite some of the quotes denoting he’s truly just a goof, the encounter with him in the Arcade mode tends to be quite a bit more sinister and show his true face. Not to mention him being a secret fight in the first place, which is usually reserved only for bosses/bad guys.
    c) there’s the high possibility that there is more than one Q, since the guy shows up all over the world, many times at the same time. Not only that but G’s concept art basically confirms this, with the girl G design having been on the table. Well… who goes around the world, drawing people to him and earning their trust? Well, the ending shows G doing just that.
    Thoughts?

Well, that’s about it for the first post. Sorry for bringing Akuma into this, since I know you guys hate him lol and sorry if the theory has been proposed before, but I did came up with it myself and I don’t remember seeing something like it anywhere else.

11 Likes

In the canon, he’s always Shin Akuma. The only time in the canon one could argue he wasn’t Shin Akuma was in his first fight with Ryu during Alpha 2, when he clearly held back. So what you’re asking is if Akuma is stronger than Oni, and I do not think he is. He could become stronger than Oni one day if his gamble pays off and he doesn’t turn into Oni.

However, Akuma as of SF3:3S is still not in the same league as Oni who would be is in a league of his own with other hypothetical OP characters like Final Bison, and possibly Ryu Final.

This is what a lot of us have surmised also. G turns people into Qs, relieving them of their individuality and offering them unity in his yet-to-be determined collective (read: slavery).

Welcome aboard.

5 Likes

Thanks for the swift reply! And since I haven’t mentioned you in my first post… I’ll just Hail Bison instead!

4 Likes

So just somehow managed to find streams of young justice s3 first 3 episodes. Its ok so far. Animation and artwork clearly arent as good as first 2 seasons.

Story is eh… at the moment. Hoping it picks up. Its not that the action isnt there… Its just… I dont know. Maybe I was expecting more.

I remember writing a similarly long introductory post when I started writing in this thread.

Welcome aboard!

5 Likes

Welcome back man, interesting question you have brought out.

2 Likes

How I feel when a story thread lurker finally posts in the thread

9 Likes

I don’t think the “big feet and hands” transitioned that well in the 3D engines, I don’t mind them at all on characters like Urien (his tall build helps a lot tho) but when I look at Karin hands…
Then again, Rog’s proportions are extremely exagerrated and I find his model one of the best in the game

1 Like

No but honestly welcome to the thread. I used to be just like you. I followed the thread since 2002, lurked around, and hadn’t posted until 2013. I remember the original plot guide well and up until SF4 I had seen it as the one true source of SF story at the time.

Once SF4 came about I had started noticing changes in the way the “official” canon was being handled and I saw people like @yagamifire starting to challenge it thoroughly. After the first plot guide was essentially defunct I saw people wanting to take the chance in making a 2nd one. Some plans came and went but nothing really came to fruition. Thats where me and @midgardsorm came in to try to fix somethings up.

I still respect @vasili10 and I wish he would let me use some of his material for the new plot guide but alas he will not do so. Regardless I have seen this story thread basically come up from asking questions about SF lore to a full community over the course of a decade and more. This is a legit crew of fans. Fans who would, despite it being a fighting game story, debate wholeheartedly over topics concerning SF canon. Nowhere else on the internet can you get an almost 20 yr discussion about SF story, a fighting game story. Pretty dedicated fans if you ask me, and also the best friends a guy could ask for…(besides a dog of course…)

Welcome to the thread… as a new thread postee you get the link to…Nakahira Collection Raw

Enjoy the artwork…(and dialogue if you can read Nihongo)

6 Likes

Agree It was as soon that SF4 was release, I too was a lurker and random poster since 2006 in the original thread which either I do drop by just to ask question or just post something new I find out. I became very active as soon the CFN profiles were posted regularly I missed those so much.

2 Likes

We shall remember that we’re talking magic karate here, so you could argue whatever you want and it may make sense as long as you word it in a way that seems deep. Oni is obviously pictured as stronger than regular/Shin/Akuma; it’s a bigger and badder version of it. On the other hand you could argue that regular/Shin/Akuma is more focused, in control and ultimately would be more effective than Oni. So, in the end, who’s stronger? Whoever the writer wants. We may voice our preferences and the logic behind them, but for now it’s ridiculous to strongly claim one or the other, imo.

It’s kinda similar to comparing Ryu to Evil Ryu.

4 Likes

Anyone recall a new Street Fighter mobile app that was released in China?
Featured Cammy in pants. I was going to see if this could be installed into Bluestacks to see whats in the game

@Dracu is it coincidence that you joined a year after me? I was also a story lurker since July 2017. We’re all looking forward to your contributions to this thread.

Who is this Vasili10 you all keep talking about, all I can seem to infer is that there was drama over the content he put on the original guide, none of you have to talk about if you don’t want to but what actually happened?

:face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Here’s something fun for you guys

Because everybody loves power level tierlists, right?

1 Like

Power level tierlists are trash, but I still posted in there.

2 Likes

I don’t

Side note: New profile pic!!!

1 Like

I’m fond of VS Debating, but I’m in the minority here)

The thing is, with so little actual fights being confirmed into canon it’s basically impossible to come to a right conclusion. There are the undisputed top tiers, stuff like Final Bison and Oni, then the masters like Oro… but beyond that it gets all muddy. Basically any debate has to be based 100% on conjuncture and subjective. One can make good arguments for any Street Fighter against any other Street Fighter and it’s not gonna lead anywhere cause there’s isn’t any way to find for sure.

3 Likes

I divide them in 3 layers, The Masters, The Experience and The Others.

Agree by simply highlighting some feats and whoever is in-charge currently in Capcom to write the next a future SF storyline.