The Street Fighter Plot Canon Guide development thread

Notice: Since Vasili has decided that he does not want anyone continuing off his work, development is on hold until he gets back to us with a copy of the guide pre-dating his taking over.

With Vasili retiring as caretaker of the guide, we will be moving forward as a community to update the guide in a collaborative fashion, instead of electing someone new to take over. Hopefully, cooperation by the community as a whole will result in a clean, well-checked, and unbiased guide. The guide development is currently being hosted in a repository at BitBucket

https://bitbucket.org/MuKen/the-street-fighter-plot-canon-guide

Development is simple, anybody is free to create an account at BitBucket and make edits to the guide, however they will not immediately go live. Instead, these edits will then be visible at

https://bitbucket.org/MuKen/the-street-fighter-plot-canon-guide/pull-requests

where the community will review them. If they are approved, they will be merged into the guide. The current state of the guide can be downloaded from

https://bitbucket.org/MuKen/the-street-fighter-plot-canon-guide/downloads
(single text file, will be periodically manually updated)
https://bitbucket.org/MuKen/the-street-fighter-plot-canon-guide/get/master.zip
(zip file containing the parts, automatically fully up to date at all times)
https://bitbucket.org/MuKen/the-street-fighter-plot-canon-guide/src
(online viewing, also fully up to date at all times)

When adding a change, post a link to it in this thread. People will be able to view what was changed, discuss it, and use the forums ā€œAgree/Disagreeā€ function to vote yes or no. These votes can be changed later as the change is updated to reflect peopleā€™s comments. After a couple days, if a change has at least 1 Agree and no Disagrees, it will be added to the guide (reviewers should use some discretion, if the change is large or controversial, give it more time, if it is something simple like spelling corrections, push it through quickly). If anyone disagrees, that disagreement should be discussed fully before deciding whether to move forward with the change.

Instructions for adding a change follow:

SETUP

• Make an account on bitbucket.org and log in.
  • Go to the page for this repository

https://bitbucket.org/MuKen/the-street-fighter-plot-canon-guide/

• Click the ā€˜Forkā€™ tab on top, then click ā€œFork repositoryā€ on the bottom
    of the next page. This creates a copy on your account you can edit freely.

Every once in awhile, if somebody else makes changes to the guide, you
will see that your fork is behind in the upper right corner. Click "Sync now"
to get their changes into your copy. You will not be able to get your change
approved unless it is up to date with other peopleā€™s changes.

MAKING CHANGES

• Go the page for your own copy of the guide
  • Click ā€˜Sourceā€™ on top
  • Click any file(s) you wish to edit
  • Click ā€˜Editā€™ in the upper right corner
  • Make your changes, then click ā€˜Commitā€™ in the lower right corner
  • When your changes are ready click ā€˜Pull Requestā€™ in the upper right corner
  • Choose a meaningful title to tell people what you are changing
  • Click ā€˜Create pull requestā€™ on the bottom

Your changes are now up for review. If they are accepted, all files you changed
on your copy will be similarly changed on the main copy of the guide.

To expedite your review, please post a link to it here so we can look it over.

Change up for review, updating the parts of the guide pertaining to its current stewardship.

https://bitbucket.org/MuKen/the-street-fighter-plot-canon-guide/pull-request/7/updated-the-current-stewardship-of-the/diff

Please take a look and let me know if Iā€™m forgetting anything.

If you wish to continue with a ā€œcanonā€ guide of sorts, you will either use Tiamatā€™s last copyrighted version if he allows you to do so (and I can gladly provide you with the copy he gave me if he no longer is able for any reason), or you will start over from scratch as I and the guide itself has urged others in the past. You are not allowed to modify version 5.ae or any versions that I released copyrighted to my name behind my back, so go ahead and get rid of the current projects you have immediately. I have notified bitbucket of the recent events as well, so I ask for cooperation and patience in any attempts to ā€œmend the pieces.ā€

This is the only warning I will provide.

I had wondered about that. Itā€™s nice to see you back (not sure if youā€™ll stay), although you could have better said that a couple days ago. Iā€™m not sure why you wouldnā€™t want people to touch ā€œyourā€ guide, anyways. Tiamat allowed you to touch ā€œhisā€ guide.

I personally stand with my comment that you donā€™t really need to stop being the manager of the guide if there is a change in direction. Iā€™ve also commented that the blunt of the issues that the guide had could be fixed just by adding aclaratory notes and admitting whatā€™s explicitly official and whatā€™s speculation.

Oh thank god! I was worried I was going to have to broach the subject that it was far more work to eliminate all the overwhelming inaccuracies put in by Vasili than to just start from scratch or an older version.

I will however point out that I donā€™t think anyone cares about your ā€œwarningsā€, Vas. The FBI isnā€™t going to swoop in and I think weā€™re all more than happy to jettison the stuff weā€™re going to have to jettison anyway since weā€™re interested in accuracy in the guide. Alsoā€¦ā€œbehind your backā€. Yeah we were being real stealthy considering we were discussing it in the main thread and on the thread on Unity. How super top secret of us.

I do like your indication that weā€™re working on a canon guide ā€œof sortsā€ though. Cute dig. And no, it is not a canon guide ā€œof sortsā€ā€¦itā€™s one where weā€™re trying to work together to get answers and facts and represent them for others. A canon guide ā€œof sortsā€ would be one that purposefully misrepresents the original Japanese material to further an agenda separate from the goal of representing canon. In the age of the internet, however, such a canon guide ā€œof sortsā€ would eventually get discovered and there would probably be really negative fall-out.

You ask for cooperation and patienceā€¦we ask for a bit of respect and for you to realize you arenā€™t in charge around here. Thatā€™s the joy of how weā€™re working now. No one person is in charge.

Vasili10, I love you like a brother but I disagree with your decision of taking down the guide when you were not the only one who has worked on it over the years. You couldā€™ve left it, gave up being the author or reverted back to Tiamatā€™s old guide by yourself.

Pretty ironic that you wanted Saiki to post again on Warriorā€™s Fate for the anniversary, and thanks to your actions now he has. Not the best set of circumstances obviously.

All that aside Iā€™m still willing to work with you on the CFE faq if you want. Up to you.

Of course, we will gladly leave out all of your work. As I said pages ago in the other thread that is your right. If you have Tiamatā€™s last version please share it, as should have been done in the first place. Tiamatā€™s guide would have stayed up this whole time if you hadnā€™t taken over; it was taken down to make way for yours.

Part of what was entrusted to you was the responsibility of keeping that work available to all, on top of whatever additions you made. To then remove your guide forever after getting everyone else to move on to yours from his would be a great disservice to the community. In effect, youā€™d go down in history as the man who single-handedly destroyed the guide.

In any case, the repository is taken down for the time being, we await Tiamatā€™s version before we continue.

Seeing as itā€™s entirely possible Vasili isnā€™t coming back again, does anybody have any suggestions on the best way to contact him about getting Tiamatā€™s version?

Tiamat has to give his approval before vasili10 will release it to you, vas says this much in his post. Iā€™ve tried to contact Tiamat but heā€™s never been one to respond immediately.

Perhaps starting from scratch might be plausible?

Starting from scratch would actually be the wisest of the two options, and either way links like these cannot remain alive: https://bitbucket.org/MuKen/sfplot-change ; https://bitbucket.org/YagamiFire/the-street-fighter-plot-canon-guide

Thanks, I misread his post the first time.

Removed mine.

Vasili, you have the power to release either or both versions for the community to use, as granted to you by Tiamat. And I think we both know if you are not continuing the guide, that is what he would want. So, if you truly want to make amends to the community like you said in the other thread, releasing Tiamatā€™s version would be the best way to do so.

Iā€™ve got the Plot Guide 4.2 by Tiamat in perfectly readable, not-too-broken txt format (the only problem is that it has artificial line jumps to make the column of text, like all txt files, you know).

I donā€™t know which was the last one by Tiamat. The 4.6 is signed by Vasili, and it seems 4.5 was Vasiliā€™s as well.

PS: If you are interested, I also have 4.0, which has almost no references to Vasiliā€™s input.

Actually, yes they can. The plot guide was made publicly available in that format for years. Additionally, under terms of fair use, others are allowed to use it for scholarly pursuits since the purpose of it is nonprofit and educational. Additionally, the continued hosting of it in no way impacts your ability to profit from the content of the plot guide because it is impossible for you to do so since the plot guide is otherwise made of material copyright by Capcom.

Soā€¦yeah.

That little lesson on copyright law aside, I find it hilarious you continue to pitch a fit, Vasili. Hilarious and sad. This really goes to show your character. Youā€™re not interested in the plot guide continuing, nor are you interested in other people having access to information regarding Street Fighter and itā€™s canon. Apparently it really was always all about you and the attention you derived from being the plot guideā€™s caretaker. Iā€™d say Iā€™m surprised, but Iā€™m really not. I know other people had a good relationship with you before and this probably sucks for them now, but all I can do is shake my head and roll my eyes over this behavior.

Clearly youā€™d rather see the plot guide and the information within die out rather than not have absolute control over it. Typical dictator behavior. ā€œIf I canā€™t have it, no one canā€ right? Youā€™ve been repeatedly invited to continue to take part in the plot guide so that we can all work together, but obviously thatā€™s not good enough. And I know Iā€™m probably going to catch flak for this post but I donā€™t careā€¦I spent nearly three years getting dumped on for trying to help the plot guide and contribute to it and add to it only to be repeatedly shot down by you and people that (mistakenly) trusted you. And you know what? That sucked. Still, I kept at it because I genuinely wanted to research Street Fighter and helpā€¦to discuss it and discover. Now this is how you act? Unbelievable.

Youā€™re defining your legacy in regard to the plot guide you know.

Vasili, the guy that misrepresented stuff and got caught lying, pitched a fit and then tried his hardest to kill the plot guide rather than see it not contain his falsehoods.

Your alternative? Man up. Show you actually love Street Fighter and that the plot guide can be about more than you. Stop stamping your foot like a child and either bow out or accept the invitation to work with others. Anything else (or at least what youā€™ve already been doing) is not only counter-productive, itā€™s pathetic.

And my apologies to those that I know will (probably rightfully) give me hell for this post but I think Iā€™ve earned an ounce of righteous indignation over the course of the last few years in regards to all this stuff. I know that might not justify it, but itā€™s where Iā€™m coming from right, wrong or indifferent. Itā€™s on my chest and I gotta get it off.

Thank you. Next clearance is with Tiamat.

Seriously Vasili? You know that the chances weā€™re able to contact him are slim. Are you really trying to act like Tiamat would have wanted his guide to disappear into obscurity, when the community is perfectly willing to continue carrying his torch forward? If thatā€™s the way Tiamat thinks, he wouldnā€™t have handed it to you in the first place.

Between this, and the fact that you nuked his guide off of gamefaqs instead of just reverting to his last version, makes it hard for me not to think Yagami is right, and you want this guide to die.

Anyway, I guess we will have to write a new guide. Iā€™ll put up an outline on repository later this weekend. For use as a reference, many versions of the old guide are archived:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/variousinfopages/streetfighterplotguide.txt

If you want to take down your copies Vas, you can talk to archive.org. Note that you are not legally allowed to request that the versions that are still copyrighted to Tiamat be taken down. Only he or his legal representative (meaning his appointed lawyer) may do that. So if you do issue a takedown to archive.org for your versions, be sure to specify that you are only talking about the later ones. If we see his versions suddenly disappear after all these years, we will all know you lied to them.

Donā€™t know if this would still be relevant since the decisions been made to start from scratch but I have managed to find Tiamatā€™s guide ver. 4.4 (last version before Vasiliā€™s I presume) still up for public view

streetfightercorporation.com/street_fighter_plot.txt

If I donā€™t hear back from Tiamat by the 14th, I will assume he is unable to provide himself but willing to nonetheless, and I will see that youā€™ll get access to the latest copy he granted to me for everyoneā€™s use thereafter, which has never been seen online ever.

Thank you Vasili, that would be much appreciated. And thanks also bakfromon and mikros, every link to any version is good to know.

Your welcome MuKen, and Vas, will every online copy of the plot guide 5.ae suffer the same fate as the one on gamefaqs which seemed to had been hastily erased? If you truly wish to completely delete your works from the internet you might want to check here as well. fightingstreet.com/folders/variousinfofolder/variousinfopages/streetfighterplotguide.txt