The Spencer Movement Thread

Making this thread because I think it’s the most important part of his game, Please Share ur ideas

i’d like to know how yipes backdashes so fast with spencer. youtube “yipes marlinpie” for reference.

Plink dashing.

inputs?

Whilst holding back…

L+M, [H~L+M] x one million

Nope. Not plink dashing, he’s been asked the question and I remember him answering he’s pressing 2 attack buttons while moving the stick back and down-back.

The hardest thing about this is doing it consistently while not getting a random Bionic Arm out of it.

Holy crap yipe’s spencer is ridiculous

Fair enough, but plink dashing is actually faster and you don’t run the risk of getting Bionic Arm like you mentioned.

I still have trouble with his movement. Its the most basic of things but i just cant figure out how to open people up, and how to move in the screen and not get hit effectively. What is the best way to open up people?

This generally depends on your assist. The classic approach is to call a projectile or horizontal moving assist, then air zip towards or down towards the opponent. Try to limit your aerial movement without an assist on the screen, because he is susceptible to air grabs when zipping without cover. His ground movement is much safer, try to make use of his wavedash to advance also

Aside from a jump in, the main tools you will use for opening people up is his c.L, his command grab, and his overhead (none of these are particularly fast so they have to be used at the right time, preferrably after advantage from a blocked assist). His dash actually covers the ground quite fast, with proper assist cover, dash up into either option will prove effective as long as you are making the correct reads. When on the ground c.L will catch opponents trying to jump, his command grab will catch opponents just blocking and his overhead will catch opponents low blocking. Keep in mind, like I said, none of these options are fast so try to limit their usage when you aren’t in advantage

His sweep is actually good in footsies. Fairly long range low, good damage as an opener if you can get something out of it. Not something to do right next to the opponent, though.

Yipes doesn’t plink dash. He hits back and dash button(s) while hit dashing backwards he hits down back to cancel the dash. If you keep doing so you get fast backwards dashes.