The Sentinel Team Maker Thread

Personally, I prefer Morrigan/Sent/Doom, having sent second 1. Increases morrigans damage output since plasma storm does so much damage, 2. Makes sentinel better since doom is one of sentinels most dangerous assists and personally, I feel doom is a better anchor than sentinel. He has much fewer bad match-ups, and is still capable of the ludicrous damage output that sentinel is capable off, but builds even more meter.

But what I think you should do, is run both teams, maybe for about 2 months, run M/S/D and then for the subsequent 2 months run M/D/S and see which works better for you. And try to run them against competent opponents if you can.

"But what I think you should do, is run both teams, maybe for about 2 months, run M/S/D and then for the subsequent 2 months run M/D/S and see which works better for you. And try to run them against competent opponents if you can."
Sage advice

Who would you run behind Sent, if you were to hypothetically run him on point? I was thinking Sent/Doom, to use Plasma Beam to help Sent get in, but I’m sure there’s something better for him.

Well Sentinel/hidden missiles is as good a shell as any, and if your running sent on point, then might as well toss a good horizontal assist in there as well. Magneto, akuma, hawkeye, ironman to name a few. I have a section on team building in my sentinel guide(see sig) if you wanna check it out.

Thanks! I checked that out after posting this, there was some good stuff in there. I tried out Sent/Doom/Dante, seemed to do really well, with Jam Session keeping dudes off my robot. Cool thing too, is that team can work in any order depending on the matchup.

Lolz i go X-23, Amaterasu and Ryu

the problem with Sentinel is that, as said earlier, you should not be winning (and will never win 1 year from now) if he is the only character you’re left with. yet, I don’t agree with running him second because the only way he’s decent in that order is if you have tatsu/missiles assist 3rd, in which case your team has assist overkill imo.

I think Sentinel has to be anchor, and you have to be willing to take the loss if you are left with him. truthfully, I think the only teams he benefits enough for this drawback to be worth it are Magneto teams, as Mags becomes a god-tier contender when backed with drones. I’ve yet to find a second character who synergizes as well with Sentinel…

even then, it is very likely that Magneto is better off as anchor w/ Disruptor assist and 2 teleporters in front. I have a bad feeling that Sentinel will rarely be seen in high-level play in the future (he’s already pretty rare)

I don’t know about that, why do say that? While Im not a supporter of sentinel on anchor, I don’t see any reason why it should be an unwinnable match-up if he is on his own. I mean we can all agree that it sucks playing sent by himself, but he has the tools to consistently make comebacks, he has the damage, the normals, and the incoming character mix-ups to tear through a team in 3 strong guesses. And it doesn’t matter how good you are, eventually your ass is gonna get hit, or run into an armored normal, or eat a grab/command grab. A year of experience isn’t gonna change any of that, sentinel was figured out a long time ago, yet he still makes comebacks. In fact, I think in time we will see even more comebacks because(and this is wishful thinking) I think we will see more and more competent sentinel players emerge as time goes by. I mean at the moment there are like 5 good sentinels in the entire world, but I feel with time that number will grow exponentially.

I also don’t agree that sentinel needs tatsu or missiles to be decent, nor do I agree that having sent and doom/akuma is assist overkill since those 2 are very good characters in their own right. Sent has a plethora of assists that help him out, from beams, to jam session to peekabo there is a wide variety of assists he can use.

Finally, I completely disagree that sentinel’s occurrence is gonna reduce with time. The assist is far far far too good for people to stop playing him, I mean seriously your talking about players who literally ran two characters and one assist in marvel 2, and sentinel(despite what everyone is determined to think) is far from just an assist. And no, he isn’t rare, what streams have you been watching? Good sentinel play is rare ill give you that, but sentinel as a whole? C’mon man. Fanatiq, knives, dios x, infrit, unprotected sex, shady k, f champ(every now and then), and these are just the prominent sent players on 1 coast. Once again, the assist is too damn good for peeps to ever stop playing him.

Sentinel + Doom is not “assist overkill”. IMO, it’s probably among the…top 10 or so of 2-man combinations. Doom (like Magneto) gets a massive boost in effectiveness with Drones assist, be it for balls-in-your-face rush down or some of the most annoying meter-less zoning patterns in the game. Conversely, Sentinel with missiles gives him a much needed vertical control assist, and helps cover one of his biggest problems, tracking teleports (stupid Vergil). It also helps you slow down the pace of the match; much needed for Sentinel. It’s almost impossible to play Sentinel if it’s not at his pace.

Really, if you’re not naturally talented at a top player level (be that in your local scene, majors, etc.), you’re gonna have to give yourself other advantages. One of those is team composition. Doom/Sentinel provides one of the best building blocks to get yourself competitive in a very fast manner. From my limited experience, people are simply not used to facing off against a team that is capable of strong zoning. On the flip side, there’s probably very few people that can teach you zoning play at a good level, so you’re probably on your own.

Just for curiosity’s sake, I run Spencer/Sentinel/Doom. My Doom is by far better than Sentinel, but having Hard Drive stocked to escape incoming mix ups is too valuable.

Hey robits! I am considering picking up Sentinel on anchor because of his drones and how they help Spidey get in/extend combos in corners, I currently run Spidey / Skrull / Doom and am looking for a new anchor as Doom is getting old. I would go with Skrull but I like him in the middle as his assist benefits Spider-Man primarily by extending combos and he definitely benefits from a good projectile assist. I was wondering if anybody here could give me advice about the pros and cons of Sentinel on anchor? Also things to work on in general when he is the anchor on your team. Hope to hear back from you bots. :slight_smile:

Any body ever catch a guy calling an assist and your alpha counter sent hard drive and caught both assists? I did that earlier to a guy and I was able to to corner to corner hard drives! Shit was god like

Nah, I have a habit of dropping my alpha counters whenever I try them. But I did punish a dante for doing the fireworks with it once, he had already activated devil trigger, so there was nothing he could do except x-factor(which he did). I practice it though, I just try to do it whenever the opportunity presents itself so I can get used to the timing. How consistent are you with the x-factor cancels off the hard drives though? I drop them every time I try, but I don’t think I’ve been x-factoring at the right time.

On a different note, how do you(and anyone inclined) feel about trish/sentine/akuma? That was my original team until I switched out tatsu for greyhound, but recently I’ve been re-considering tatsu. I guess my questions are, 1. Which assist do you think benefits sentinel better and secondly who do you think is the better anchor?

Personally, I feel the only issue with switching out hawkeye is I can no longer counter pick magnetos with hawkeye on point, but truth be told, that really hasn’t worked out as well in practice so no great loss I guess.

You should be able to continue the combo after x-factoring hard drive by waiting for them to go into the spin state. The followup can depend on what angle you end up on, I often just press S and it works though.

I get the alpha counter hard drive xfc… every time. only reason being is that I practice that situation a lot in training mode with ai macros etc

I play point Sent and Im thinking of a changing mids. My team is normaly Sent(Drones)/Rocket Racoon(Log)/Skrull(Stone Smite). Log trap is amazing with Sent as any log trap connect is a full sent combo. But RR is very inconsistent in output (suprise). Skrull is my best char, especially with lvl3 x-factor.

Suggestions?

My suggestion: Drop RR and put either, Nova, Spencer, Iron Fist, or Akuma because a you can full combo off of any Tatsu (Akuma), Rising Dragon (Iron Fist), Centurion Rush (Nova) at most times, not to mention that each character can ToD most of the cast either solo, or use Sentinel Drones assist (Nova).

Spencer, Iron Fist, and Nova allow you to land Hyper Sentinel Force after a Rocket Punch after an Air-Combo, which if used properly, allows Sentinel to do 1,000,000 damage easy off-of a j. :h: or cr. :m: or j. :s:

I suggest you run skrull/sentinel/akuma, skrull with drones is a nightmare, inferno dhc to plasma storm is probably more damaging than his level 3, sentinel/akuma is as good a shell as any(and prolly the best shell for sentinel) and akuma’s a top 5 anchor so its perfect.

I am going to keep Skrull as anchor. He is my best character, I’ve been playing him since vanilla, and with lvl3 x-factor any hit is a touch of death on any character (which is easy with command grab and teleport).

Your best character does not have to be your last one.

Level 3 X-factor is a touch of death on any character. You can play Skrull anchor and attempt to gimmick everyone out, or you can play Akuma and throw beams that do 70%.

Your call.

I made my call, which is to keep skrull anchor since its skrull’s best position.