The Sega Naomi Thread

Ok, I just saw this posted on Neo-Geo.com: a standalone netbooter built via a Raspberry Pi with an LCD screen.
http://capane-us.github.io/piforcetools/

Looks totally badass; has the compactness and standalone aspect of the CF card mod, but the convenience and usability of netbooting with a PC.
I think I may be foregoing the CF card route and going with this instead.

Thatā€™s pretty slick!

That is AWESOME!!! And just when I was thinking to get a Raspberry for a personal project!!!

I need to learn more about this NAOMI boardā€¦

Likewise. Iā€™ve been meaning to pick one up just to mess around with and all, but I may need to pick up two. :slight_smile:

I still need to PICK UP my Naomi board at the post office; I was out with a friend (at a local gaming lounge getting our asses kicked in SF4 casuals), and my wife was out having dinner with some old friendsā€¦ Iā€™ll be getting my Naomi tomorrow!

On a side note, for those who donā€™t feel like diving into this stuff themselves, thereā€™s a guy on Neo-Geo.com whoā€™s doing an interest-check on selling these as assembled kits:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?249959-IC-Raspberry-Pi-LCD-Netboot-Loader-Kit
$110 shipped isnā€™t bad. I mean, you can make it yourself for cheaper, and Iā€™d personally want to do it myself just for the learning process, but thatā€™s still not a bad price.

$32; thatā€™s awesome. Was that a local deal where the owner didnā€™t know what he had or what?

Naomi owner checking in too, got netboot working but was wondering if the Atomiswave stuff only runs on Naomi 2?

Also, anyone know if Virtual On is ā€œout thereā€.

Iā€™m pretty sure he was aware of what he was selling meā€¦ we played a few games on MvsC2 and he says ā€œthis game is in high demandā€ but still sells me the kit for just $32 bucks.

Iā€™m going to dig into all this information for a few days nowā€¦ I need to know more about this stuff.

Yay, my wife picked up my Naomi at the post office today for me:

I tested it with my Supergun, audio and video work just fine. I was afraid that my Supergun would be too underpowered (only outputs 5V at 6A and 12V at 2A), but it seems to be ok.
The system fans are LOUD, though.

My Naomi bios says 21577D, which I think is one of the older ones. Will need to get an update to one of the H-series ones.
And then get a proper NetDIMM. Already ordered my Raspberry Pi and my Adafruit LCD kit this morning. :slight_smile:

It looks cleaner than mine and you have already tested it with your setupā€¦ I havenā€™t done that yet and I donā€™t know what is the bios version but I will take it to a friend to check it.
This is by far one of the most -if not the most- incredible finds that Iā€™ve ever found and I regret nothing about it! I will definitely keep going with this project!

I love how this thread has morphed! Once I get my Naomi setup and running I will have to pull the RPi out of the box oā€™stuff and try some fun stuff. Glad I picked all of this up in JAPAN while I was there (Naomi, NetDIMM, GD-ROM Kit, I/O boards)! I may have to have my friend go back to Akihabara for me and pick me up a few more thingsā€¦ just in cases.

The guy in the video is awesome tooā€¦ heā€™s a regular customer of mine and does great work. I think that Naomi system setup is one I brought back for him too :smiley:

I know Iā€™ve been pitching all sorts of stuff into this thread, but probably only because the Naomi system (in-person) is new to me too.

@Fearlessā€Œ
Maybe a thread title change is in order then? Just to something a bit more generic like ā€œThe Sega Naomi threadā€? Or ā€œThe Sega Naomi appreciation thread!ā€, since everythingā€™s an appreciation thread? :smiley:

Both of you guys are right, this thread goes like a snow ball! Getting bigger and bigger with every roll; never thought that an simple question could end with all this great stuff and to be honest, I was a little afraid to ask hereā€¦ the srk community is well known for being a little picky but Iā€™m glad I came here for advise, all this information is great for all of us and now we know more about this awesome arcade board.

Iā€™m still trying to get all the information I can from the post from here like some others and Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s a lot more info out thereā€¦ so I have this crazy idea to make a list of the titles that can be played from net booting, I know is a little risky to ask for something like that here but I think is also a valuable information to have.

Meanwhile, Iā€™m changing the title name.

Naomi 1 - Can boot Naomi 1 cartridge, Naomi 1 GD-roms, & most Atomiswave games
Naomi 2 - Can boot Naomi 1&2 cartridge, Naomi 1&2 GD-roms, & most Atomiswave games

I believe you should be able to boot all them with just a 256mb memory. 512mb is for the Chihiro & Triforce systems.

The ā€œNewā€ version of Senko No Ronde also requires 512mb. From what I remember they changed the control scheme quite a bit, I donā€™t know what else changed.

Iā€™ve had various NAOMI setups for a while, but this new CF and NetBoot stuff might revive some love :slight_smile: Iā€™d probably opt for a NAOMI 2, just so the dark grey plastic matches the cart slot add-ons :smiley: Always bugged me having a white NAOMI and dark gray add-ons.
-ud

Hey another question pops-upā€¦ does the net dimm works in both boards NAOMI 1 & 2ā€¦ or should I get the one specific for the one I have?

Today I found an old VF4 arcade cab (VF games are not that popular hereā€¦) letā€™s see if the owner is willing to sell it, Iā€™m praying already to see if my wallet can afford it!

They work on Naomi 1,2,Chihiro, and Trifoce. There is no need to have 2 of them unless you have 2 motherboards. Also, Naomi 2 can play all Naomi 1 games as well.

Dammit. I definitely do not need one of these right nowā€¦but itā€™s so tempting. Let us know how itā€™s goes freedom.
Anyone here owns a chihiro or triforce? Iā€™m thinking about getting one or the other.

Alrighty.

FINALLY got my RPi, NetDIMM, PIC chip, BIOS and everything back up and running.
On a side note, I got a great price for my NetDIMM; the seller sold it to me in an as-is untested state, missing a PIC. So no idea what size, what firmware, or whether or not the thing actually works.
Got a PIC from someone else in the end; turns out the NetDIMM was version 3.17 (yay!) and 256MB (yay!).

Anyhow, hereā€™s me netbooting Ikaruga off of a Raspberry Pi with the Adafruit LCD panel:

On the flipside, Iā€™m having some trouble with some other games.
Iā€™ve tried to boot MvC2 and CvS2, and both are giving me the ā€œERROR 33: Gateway not foundā€ error message. Basic research says that the games may not like the PIC chip, but I havenā€™t found any additional info.
Ikaruga and Tetris Kiwamemichi work just fine, though.

Whatā€™s up with the vinyl duct running behind the TV. You have a grow operation in there? Ha!

Haha, I figured someone would ask about something thatā€™s COMPLETELY unrelated to the Naomi in the picture. :slight_smile:

The real answer: aside from building/modding arcade gear and arcade sticks, one of my many hobbies is building model kits (mostly Gundam and robots and stuff). The big bin up front in my homemade spray booth thatā€™s vented through the vinyl tube that goes out the window, so I donā€™t have to keep the fumes and whatnot of the lacquers that I airbrush onto my model kits linger in the room.