The Science Fiction Thread

Got a few I feel are worth mentioning.
And He Built a Crooked House
Blindsight
Who Goes There?
At the Mountains of Madness
Got more, but long list, so…

My next buys. Thanks!

Any sci-fi movie talk? I can’t think of any I’ve seen recently, but I’ll post some after I browse through the ole memory tube.

:tup:

Oblivion was good. Elysium had so much potential but it failed so hard.

Book-wise, just finished I,Robot: to Protect by Mickey Zucker Reichert. It was alright- i wished there was more interaction with the robot ‘nurse’ but I’m thinking this is just an intro to its universe. Going to pick up the follow-up to it later this week.

Also, can anyone recommend a book similar to ‘Flowers for Algernon’ and/or Asimov’s Foundation series. I tried reading the ‘Dune’ series but I just couldn’t get into it.

Yeah, I really like where Elysium was going. It’s a very basic story, but it’s got a nice world to tell it in. Nothing wrong with that. People are just really picky/spoiled in terms of imagination.

Ya, Dune takes a bit to get into. Even hardcore people have told me that the only one that is a “must read” is the first book, which I found to be very satisfying. Frank Herbert makes a great world and uses it to tell a good story with real meaning. It’s written in a very obscure way, though, and you have to be patient with it to benefit from it. For me, I was mad when Lady Jessica just crumpled into a pile of self-pity when shit really starts rolling. To me, she was a very strong character up until that point and then she just… fell off. That was my biggest beef with Dune.

To it’s credit, I haven’t read any of the other books yet. eyes bookshelf where Dune Messiah still sits unread

The first Joe Ledger book is indeed Patient Zero.
Chronology is

1. Patient Zero
  2. Dragon Factory
  3. King of Plagues
  4. Assassin’s Code
  5. Extinction Machine
  6. Code Zero

I have to say too, if ever anyone is looking for audiobooks. Ray Porter IS Joe Ledger. He’s up for awards for his performance in Extinction Machine and rightfully so.

If you want some good sci-fi comics, definitely check out Fear Agent (maybe my favorite comic of all time), Prophet (a continuation of the silly 90’s comic, but takes a crazy hard sci-fi turn. Really fucking weird) and The Manhattan Projects.

Image is actually putting out a lot of great sci-fi books right now.

Co-signed on that Manhattan Projects comics. It’s awesome reading the what-if scenarios in that comic.

Regarding Elysium, my issue with it was there was not enough back story regarding the origin of the space station to make me care besides what the main character remembers as a kid. Oblivion was awesome because it reminded me of 2009’s Moon story-wise but with more sci-fi visual candy.

Daniel Keyes passed away Sunday.

Do yourselves a favor and go read the original short story version of Flowers for Algernon:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:y80MNZf9jYkJ:dorinta19.bizland.ro/FLOWERS%20FOR%20ALGERNON%20.htm+&cd=17&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

“P.P.S. Please if you get a chanse put some flowrs on Algernons grave
in the bak yard…”

Yes, that is a great loss. Flowers for Algernon is one of my favorite short stories of all time, let alone sci-fi.

Thanks for posting that.

Stopped by at Barnes&Noble the other day to pick up the 2nd story arc of the I,Robot series and of course there were none in the bookshelf. Ended up getting Timothy Zahn’s Star Wars: Survivor Quest instead.

R.I.P Daniel Keyes. Flowers for Algernon is one of those books that defines science fiction. The writing style, characters and the story line just blends so well in that book. Whenever someone ask me how they can get into scifi, I always recommend that book(the other is ClockWork Orange). He will be missed. I’ll be picking up his bio since I’m almost done with Zahn’s book.

Anyone else read Voyagers by Ben Bova, it’s a little older but I couldn’t put it down. I had to know what happened at the end. Highly recomend it to lovers of the really hard sci-fi.

Didn’t know that It and the Dark Tower series are related. Seems more like Stephen King’s stories are science fiction and fantasy than horror/terror…

They are. People are just stupid as fuck.