The Official Poker Thread

Did you raise with AK?

of course. i raised after flop too.

Yeah I’m playing basically for a living now. The reason I can do this is because I have very low expenses. I live with roommates and other than school tuition I don’t have any obligatory expenses. Poker works for me because my expenses can basically be covered just by the bonuses (playing 15 rooms in a month will generate the bonus money). The money I actually make playing is almost just a side benefit at this point.

It is hard to make a living playing poker, which is why I tried to discourage people from doing it in the blog post that I made and linked a page ago. It can be a pretty good 2nd job though, since there are easily $1000-$1500 in bonuses out there for the taking every month.

And yeah, evo is all about the tables for me. I might play some CvS2 if I have time. The plan is to get Doyle Brunson to sign my ass and Annie Duke to sign my vest. That’s hot.

–Jay Snyder
Viscant@aol.com

haha i beat up brunson in a tournament earlier today

i’m sorry but i’m a n00b at online poker. i’m deciding to play ONline poker at partypoker. what are BONUSES? is it money that i CAN’T LOSE? please explain. i’m looking to spend about $20…BTW i’m 19 years old

EDIT: how much do i deposit for Pacificpoker to get the free $10?

For the Pacific free $10, you don’t have to put any money in, just open a real money account and leave it alone for awhile. Come back in a week or so and they’ll put money in for you. They just want you to get addicted. Cheap marketing ploy.

As for bonuses, here’s a bonus that Party is offering right now.
http://www.partypoker.com/offers/deposit_25_150-bonusjun.htm
Like for example on this bonus, you can get up to 25% of your deposit in bonus money, up to $150. So deposit $600 to get the max bonus money. Now you have to play 7x raked hands to get the $150, so that’s 1050 hands. After you finish all 1050, they give you the $150 and you can cash it out right away.

Most bonuses are done this way. Some exceptions. Most notable one is the Pacific $100 deposit bonus for $400 deposited is given to you instantly. So you can deposit $400, cash that out, then once the cashout clears you have $100 to play around with. You have to wager 20x (so $2000) before you can cash out the $100, but it at least gives you something decent to start out with if you don’t want to risk any real money of your own.

Hope that helps, if any questions you know what to do.

–Jay Snyder
Viscant@aol.com

just play poker on friday night, startign to get better, and loving it when u win some money and start pressuring others by raising 4x the check money

Unless you’re really good or really NOT GOOD in poker, don’t try it.

I’ll explain what I mean. If you’re really good, naturally you can take advantage of the fish and other inexperienced players in the field, taking advantage of knowing the odds to easily win in the long run. They can outflop and river you all day, but if you make the right decisions, you will always wind up positive.

Now about being really NOT GOOD, that’s just another way of me saying you have no ego. Realize you’re not good, and you won’t have the desire to move up too fast in limits, and go on tilt cause of “worse” players. If you have a ego, and think you’re the shit in poker, have fun losing your bankroll. I’m not afraid to admit that I was one of those people a while back. I started playing last year, got real good in live poker in college and won a couple grand for the semester, and started online poker cause 2-3 hours a night wasn’t enough for me. I lost quite a bit on Ultimatebet from going on tilt from worse players before I quit and just accepted I was bad at online poker. The things you have to realize:

*If you have no experience in poker, don’t bother trying No Limit.
*Playing within your limit entails having a bankroll of AT LEAST 200 Big Bets to be safe, and thats if you’re good. If you’re just starting out, chances are you suck and don’t have much experience, so 400 Big Bets is safer. So that pretty much limits you to penny tables unless you deposit 200-400 at once, which most people do not do on their first time.
*You can’t bitch about bad beats and console yourself. They will not cause you to lose money in the longrun; your bad beats along with your bad decisions cause you to lose money.
*AA does not BEAT JJ/QQ/KK/22 preflop. It loses one out of four times. (addendum to above heh)
*YOU MUST READ BOOKS AND ARTICLES IF YOU WANT TO WIN

Those are just warnings to anybody that wants to try. Now for the good news…ever since I got out of college and focused much more online since no live games are around anymore I turned 50 bucks into 600 or so in a few weeks :). I think I’ve gotten the hang of it now, and play much more mechanically, but it’s rough mentally. If you still wanna get into it, feel free to PM me for advice on lower limits and building your bankroll up to a decent size.

eh poker’s fun. but the scene is kind of changing. everyone’s trying to be a good play reading all the books and magazines and articles nowadays. so your regular newbie now is one to your trips if the board has paired on the flop, thus he’ll check it to you on the turn.

anyways, poker is fun and challenging when you’re playing against people who’re paying attention to the game and it becomes more of a mental game, cause the cards don’t matter as much at that point.

After a year or two when people who play poker know all the facts, its gonna be pretty boring. Cards WILL matter more when people get better. And online, its all about the cards.

:u: it’s good to see ho cho posting in GD

thanks Viscant

Time to bump this.

Just wondering if anyone just saw World Poker Tour tonight? Some guy almost player every starting hand at the final table, good and bad, and managed to knock out everyone in a row.

Watching all those bad beats remind me of this guy:

http://www.planetstacked.com/fillmaff/

i have a poker tournament in 3 hours…anybody have tips in winning a No-Limit Holdem TOURNAMENT?

i got jew by triple 5 yesterday on the fuckin flop…so gay

Ucrollerblader seyz-
For the first hour of the tournament, don’t play anything but jj/qq/kk/aa and ak. Always raise with them preflop to about 4-5 times the size of the big blind. After you get that far you can play normally and it should be cakey

***** Hand History for Game 2260181649 *****
devodj finished in eighth place.
thecake73 finished in seventh place.
50/100 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 13389363) - Sat Jun 25 06:49:17 EDT 2005
Table Table 35270 (Real Money) – Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 1: buddah7 (3295)
Seat 2: todox (365)
Seat 3: osagat (2385)
Seat 4: bcgirls (200)
Seat 6: survjim11 (1235)
Seat 7: Laelia (520)
osagat posts small blind (25)
bcgirls posts big blind (50)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to osagat [ Th, 8c ]
survjim11 calls (50)
Laelia folds.
buddah7 raises (100) to 100
todox calls (100)
osagat folds.
bcgirls calls (50)
survjim11 calls (50)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 4s, 4d, 4c ]
bcgirls bets (100)
bcgirls is all-In.
survjim11 calls (100)
buddah7 raises (300) to 300
todox calls (265)
todox is all-In.
survjim11 calls (200)
Creating Main Pot with $825 with bcgirls
Creating Side Pot 1 with $495 with todox
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5h ]
survjim11 checks.
buddah7 bets (650)
survjim11 raises (835) to 835
survjim11 is all-In.
buddah7 calls (185)
** Dealing River ** : [ 5c ]
Creating Side Pot 2 with $1740 with survjim11
** Summary **
Main Pot: 825 | Side Pot 1: 495 | Side Pot 2: 1740 |
Board: [ 4s 4d 4c 5h 5c ]
buddah7 balance 5120, bet 1235, collected 3060, net +1825 [ 5d 5s ] [ four of a kind, fives – 5d,5s,5h,5c,4s ]
todox balance 0, lost 365 [ Kd Qc ] [ a full house, Fours full of fives – 5h,5c,4s,4d,4c ]
osagat balance 2360, lost 25 (folded)
bcgirls balance 0, lost 200 [ Ad 9d ] [ a full house, Fours full of fives – 5h,5c,4s,4d,4c ]
survjim11 balance 0, lost 1235 [ Ah 4h ] [ four of a kind, fours – Ah,4h,4s,4d,4c ]
Laelia balance 520, didn’t bet (folded)

EDIT: After showing this hand to LB, instead of commenting on the unlikelihood of running 5’s, he says “wow those idiots called with k/q and a/9”

wow what idiots for calling with those hands…

anyway, i got 5th place out of 30. the whole time i was playing with cards that add up to 20 (10+) and i did pretty good. i won pots with Aces, kings, and Jacks…but the whole entire time, i was beat…raising…re-raising…i knew they were gonna do that, but i was hoping they were gonnd do that again so i could bust them. i did that a couple times…worked out like a charm.

then the blinds start raising and tables are coming together now. the blinds go up. i’ve been getting crappy hands and my stack went down little by little. sadly i tried bluffing, but i bluffed at the wrong time…i had Q J and the flop comes down 9 8 3. 2 people checked, i went all in and 1 guy called…he had 9 3. (BTW, I RAISED 3 bets from the blinds and he fucking called it) FUCK! anyways…i guess what i learned was i should’ve been more patient and looked at another hand…

Tips: DO NOT GO ALL IN UNLESS U HAVE SOMETHING

2+2 forums is the new srk

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/ubbthreads.php

Ok since you guys don’t seem to understand…

somone flopped quad 4’s
turn 5
river 5
quad 4’s get beat by quad 5’s