The Nintendo Switch Thread v. Come post on Mega Shock!: I’m not updating this anymore

Welcome to The Switch thread volume 2 break into electric boogaloo

It’s also the first post no one looks at! This first post is dedicated to info about Nintendo’s newest Console, The Nintendo Switch! The sections below go over details about the console. The details will cover some need to knows about the consoles, accessories, online services and upcoming games. All prices listed in this post are in USD.

The thread title is generally used as a calendar of sorts for upcoming major releases whether they be for a game, dlc character, dlc expansions or any sort of Nintendo related presentation the company calls a Nintendo Direct

If you have any thoughts, questions or inputs on how to improve this first post feel free to tell me. Hope you enjoy your stay!

System Debut Trailer

System Information

Hardware Overview Video

First Time Use

Nintendo Minute Console Unboxing

The Console

• 1280 x 720 Resolution
  • 32gb of internal storage
  • Supports up to 2TB SDXC Cards
  • Connect to internet via Wifi and Hotspots

The Switch Dock

Switch Dock
Switch Dock 2

• 1 HDMI Output
  • 1 USB 3.0 Port
  • 2 USB 2.0 Ports
  • Charges Console
  • USB Lan Adapters can connect to the Switch via the Dock as well

The Joy-Cons and Joy-Con Grip

(Not Shown: Joy-Con R has a built in NFC Reader under its right stick for scanning amiibo)

The Joy-Cons are the standard controllers for the Nintendo Switch. The controllers can be used in four ways and up to 8 Joy-Con or Paired Joy-Cons may be synced to system at once depending on the game being played or the mode within the game:

• Attached to the Switch Console via the side rails
  • Removed and paired to be used by a single player in each hand (similarly to a Wii Remote and Nunchuck controller)
  • Attached to a frame called the Joy-Con Grip to create a single player controller (Second Image)
  • Used as individual controllers for two players.

Nintendo Switch Pro Controller

This is the Switch’s version of the Classic Control from the Wii and the Switch’s improved Pro Controller from the Wii U. There is an NFC reader for scanning amiibo in the middle center of controller. The Pro Controller also has 2 sets of shoulder triggers.They are L-R (Front) and ZL-ZR (Back).

It has an internal battery and comes with a 6ft USB-C charge cable that can be attached to the Switch’s Dock. As well as the Joy-Cons up to 8 Pro Controllers may be synced with the Nintendo Switch Base Console at once depending on the title or mode within the game.

More info including price and colors for Joy-Cons and Pro Controllers in the next section.

Price for System and Accessories for base model switch

• System - $299.99
  • Joy-con L-R Controllers (Comes in a variety of color combinations and styles. Full list on Nintendo’s website) - $79.99 for L and R set or $49.99 each.
  • Joycon Controller Straps - $7.99 (Comes in a variety of colors and combinations. Full list on Nintendo’s website)
  • Switch Pro Controller - $69.99 (Matte Black finish only. Special Editions are announced from time to time.)

Nintendo Switch Lite

In addition to the Base model on the Nintend Switch there is also the Nintendo Switch Lite. Which is available for purchase now! Price is $199.99. Comes in Coral (Pink), Gray, Turquoise and Yellow.

Here is the presentation video and a website to break down of all the differences between the Standard and Lite model of systems!

How to Prepare your Switch for Trade-in or Sale

Other features and overviews

Video Capture and Screenshot Overview

Parental Controls Overview

News and Nintendo Switch eShop overview

Nintendo eShop Gold Points overview

Nintendo Switch Online Features, Details and Videos

Online services are available for the Switch. The online service is called Nintendo Switch Online or as I will refer to it going forward, NSO. Unfortunately there is a subscription fee ($20/year or $35/year for family plan). The following link and videos go over what you get access to with an NSO subscription.

Learn all about the different benefits of the paid online service for the Nintendo Switch system.

Nintendo Switch Online Overview

Nintendo Switch Online - Overview Trailer - Nintendo Switch

How to get started with a Nintendo Switch Online Family Membership

Virtual Console Apps

Unfortunately Virtual Console purchases are not something Nintendo wants to have this console generation. To make up for this they have created Virtual Console like apps with games from their respective system. These apps are exclusive to NSO subscribers. As of this writing (4/11/20) the only Virtual Console app’s available on NSO are the Nintendo Entertainment System aka the NES and Super Nintendo Entertainment System aka SNES.

Each virtual console app is semi-regularly updated with new titles. Once the titles are added to their respective apps they do not leave the service after x amount of time like Xbox’s GamePass.
As another perk to having the apps: Sometimes the games released through these apps have never been released outside certain regions of the world or were released in limited edition style.

Examples of these situations are Vs. Excite Bike for the NES, which was never released outside of Japan and Star Fox 2 for the SNES, which was originally only available on the SNES Classic.

Lastly, In some cases Nintendo will launch “SP” version of a classic title. The SP versions dramatically change the game and/or how it’s played. Which leads me to the next section…

Explanation of “SP" Versions

An example of an “SP” enhanced title is the The Legend of Zelda “SP”. When you play the SP version of the game you start the game with many late game upgrades like the White Sword and Magic Shield. You are also given a healthy amount of ammo for your sub-weapons as well as given a very healthy amount of rupees.

The point of these SP versions are not always an “easy mode” for players as not all SP versions give you perks. Sometimes they are level skips or where you are immediately transported to the end game.

Examples of both of these are Star Soldier and Ninja Gaiden respectively. When you play Star Solider “SP” you start at stage 8-of-16. When you play Ninja Gaiden “SP” you start at the the end screen of Stage 6-4 which is the screen before the final bosses.

The trailers below and tabs under them explain the Virtual Console Apps and have a list of the games available in each app since their last update

Please Note : As of this writing (6/2/20) only the NES on NSO App has “SP” versions of titles.

Nintendo Entertainment System on Nintendo Switch Online

Titles Available for NES on NSO as of 9/23/20! Newly added titles are in bold

• Adventures of Lolo
  • Balloon Fight
  • Baseball
  • Blaster Master
  • Blaster Master “SP”
  • City Connection
  • Clu Clu Land
  • Crystalis
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong III
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon
  • Double Dragon II
  • Dr. Mario
  • Dr. Mario “SP”
  • Eliminator Boat Duel
  • Excite Bike
  • Ghosts n’ Goblins
  • Ghosts n’ Goblins “SP”
  • Gradius
  • Gradius “SP”
  • Gradius " SP 2"
  • Ice Climber
  • Ice Hockey
  • Journey to Silius
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kid Icarus “SP”
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Kirby’s Adventure “SP”
  • Kung-Fu Heroes
  • Mario Bros
  • Metroid
  • Metroid “SP”
  • Metroid “SP 2”
  • Mighty Bomb Jack
  • Mighty Bomb Jack “SP”
  • NES Open
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Ninja Gaiden “SP”
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Punch Out
  • Rygar
  • S.C.A.T: Special Cybernetic Attack Team
  • Shadow of the Ninja
  • Soccer
  • Solomon’s Key
  • Star Soldier
  • Star Soldier “SP”
  • Star Tropics
  • Dodge Ball
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels
  • Tecno Bowl
  • Tennis
  • The Immortal
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • The Legend of Zelda “SP”
  • Twin Bee
  • Twin Bee “SP”
  • Vice Project Doom
  • Volley Ball
  • Vs. Excite Bike
  • Wario’s Woods
  • Wrecking Crew
  • Yoshi
  • Zelda II: The Adventures of Link
  • Zelda II: The Adventures of LInk “SP”

Super Nintendo Entertainment System on Nintendo Switch Online

Titles available for SNES on NSO as of 9/23/20! Newly added titles are in bold.

• Brawl Brothers
  • Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Demon’s Crest
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest
  • F-Zero
  • Joe and Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
  • Kirby Superstar
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • Kirby’s Dreamland 3
  • Mario’s Super Picross
  • Natsume Championship Wrestling
  • Operation Logic Bomb
  • Panel de Pon
  • Pilot Wings
  • Pop’n Twinbee
  • Smash Tennis
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Earth Defense Force
  • Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts
  • Super Mario All Stars
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch Out
  • Super Puyo Puyo 2
  • Super Soccer
  • Super Tennis
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • The Peace Keepers
  • Wild Guns

If you would like to purchase the wireless NES and SNES Controllers shown in the overview videos you can buy them in the links below:

Tetris 99

The Russian puzzle game that took the world by storm has a new way to play. Its a free and exclusive title to NSO Subscribers. It’s aptly titled, Tetris 99 !

The easiest way to explain how the game plays is it’s Tetris Battle Royal. You play against 98 other players from all over the world while trying to survive the longest.

There are semi-regular themed online tournaments as well which are called MAXIMUS CUPS . By participating in these you can earn icons, themes, and other cool aesthetics for your Tetris 99 profile. Additionally If you manage to place in the top 999 players of that MAXIMUS CUP you will be rewarded 999 gold points (Equivalent to $10usd) to use in the eShop (See gold points video in “other features and overviews” on how to use gold points)

The game also has daily challenges that unlock themes and icons as well as achievement like goals to unlock even more themes and icons.

Below is the official reveal for Tetris 99

TETRIS 99 DLC

Tetris 99 has a DLC pack titled “Big Block DLC". This DLC Pack is $9.99. It unlocks various new modes to play. These modes include:

• Vs. CPU Mode where you face off against 98 CPU’s.
  • Marathon Mode (Similar to Score Attack)
  • 2 Player Local Battles against CPU’s.
  • Local 8-Player Private Room (Additional Systems and NSO Subscriptions Required)

Super Mario Bros. 35! (Only playable until 3/31/21)

Nintendo are mad lads and have created a Super Mario Bros. Battle Royal modeled after the very first game to celebrate Mario’s 35th birthday!

Unfortunately Nintendo is only making the game available to NSO members for a limited time. Mainly because Nintendo is dumb as shit.

Here is the reveal trailer and the launch trailer

How to play with friends and other users using your NSO Subscription!

For some silly reason Friend Codes are back on the Switch! If you are not sure where to find your Friend Code you simply click on your profile icon in the top left of the Switch’s home screen and then highlight “profile”. It will then display your friend code on the right. When giving out your friend code you do not need to add the “SW”. The switch already takes that into account when you type in the new Friend Code.

In the section below will be your fellow SRKer’s friends codes. If you would like to join in on the fun feel free to post or PM @Stuart_Hayden your friend code so it can be added.

Friend Code list

• Bandile: SW-1311-1872-2337
  • CDB2: SW-4103-2354-5924
  • chadouken!: SW-4756-2984-5098
  • Darc_Requiem: SW-7187-1409-0700
  • DarkSakul: SW-8267-4847-2783
  • GPK: SW-3785-5686-7097
  • Hawkingbird: SW-4818-0589-2386
  • KimuraLOX: SW-1702-7240-9240
  • KingTubb: SW-6023-0371-6931
  • Locoghoul: SW-6623-9022-1920
  • MARTIAN: SW-7938-5159-4871
  • mikeohara: SW-1955-7206-6697
  • Million-X: SW-5689-0746-0099
  • purbeast: SW-81052764-3127
  • radiantsilvergun3: SW-1511-3991-9320
  • StuartHayden: SW-0094-9702-6716
  • TheDoctaMario: SW-0466-9468-9880
  • Sonic Human: SW-6110-4628-4232

We are also slowly trying to find days and times where a lot of us are free so we can join in on each others games. While nothing is concrete I will try to have some kind of event schedule of what games, what day and what time listed here in this section.

Latest Nintendo Direct And Indie World Showcase

While there is no rhyme or reason of when these videos are announced or aired they “usually” happen every 3-4 months. They go over info about upcoming games, DLC, expansion passes and often time world premier announcements of titles that are coming to the Nintendo Switch.

The Nintendo Directs normally focus on first party titles, Nintendo funded console exclusives (think MUA3, Bayonetta 3 and No More Heroes III), or 3rd Party AAA titles coming to the Nintendo Switch.

In addition to the standard Directs Nintendo will often create a Direct that focuses on one title or an expansion for an existing title. I will list the most recent title focused direct below as well.

The Indie World Showcase videos go over games from Indie Developers similar to Yacht Club, Wayforward, Super Giant and others.

The videos below are the latest Nintendo Direct and Indie World Showcase posted by Nintendo.

Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase

Mr. Sakurai Presents “Steve and Alex”

Indie World Showcase

Announced and Upcoming Titles, Updates, and New Content

The following videos or images are trailers, overviews and sneak peaks of upcoming titles, dlc and expansions, accessories and consoles, coming to Nintendo Switch. Many of which will be exclusives to system but there will also be much anticipated titles in the videos below as well. The dates next to the game is the release window or confirmed release date of the title.

Please Note : The content in this section will be removed after that respective titles/expansions launch date or once all DLC for that expansion pass/season pass has been released.

Bayonetta 3 (TBA)

Bravely Default II (2020)

Cat Mario and Cat Peach amiibo (2/12/21)

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1301517810720481280?s=21

Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny (Summer 2021)

DOOM Eternal (2020)

Game and Watch Handheld: Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Edition (11/13/20)

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (11/20/20)

Hyrule Champions amiibo Rerelease (Daruk, Mipha, Revali, Urbosa) (11/20/20)

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1303347373427523587?s=21

Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit (10/16/20)

Metroid Prime 4 (TBA)

Monster Hunter Rise (3/26/21)

Monster Hunter Rise amiibo (Magnamalo, Palico, Palamute) (3/26/21)

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1306623958603706369?s=20

Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin (Summer 2021)

”New” Pokémon Snap (TBA 2020)

No More Heroes III (2021)

Pikmin 3 Deluxe (10/30/20)

Pokemon Sword and Shield Expansion Pass:

Part One: Isle of Armor (Out now)
Part Two: The Crown Tundra (10/22/20)

Prinny 1+2: Exploded and Reloaded (10/13/20)

Sakuna of Rice and Ruin (11/10/20)

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game - Complete Edition (Holiday 2020)

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (2/12/21)

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate - Fighter Pass Character Reveals

Fighter Pass 2 Reveals

Min Min (ARMS)

Steve (Minecraft)

Fighter Pass 1 Reveals

Joker (Persona 5)

Hero (Dragon Quest series)

Banjo and Kazooie (Banjo and Kazooie series)

Terry Bogard (Various SNK Titles)

Byleth (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)

Unnamed The Legend of Zelda Title/Breath of the Wild Sequel (TBA)

3 Likes

nice

So it didn’t 1:1 copy paste over like I thought it did but it did enough to where I can recognize everything that needs cleaned up and it’ll be quick to do said clean up

2 Likes

First page, WOOHOO!

4 Likes

Too soon

2 Likes

Ill wait to hear if the MK9 rumors are true before buying MK8D. Looks like I might be purchasing Pokemon after all. Damn Gamefreak

What MK9 rumors?

I’ve only heard one MK9 rumor and it was near the end of last year. After that I haven’t heard a peep

Supposedly instead of getting a BoZ2 announcement we are getting MK9 announcement for Xmas or early 2021. Of course Covid has been fucking up all deadlines and timelines so dunno Ill just wait until end of summer see if there are any 1st party announcements. But for now I guess ill pay Gamefreak to disappoint me again

Well, since Nintendo has already told everyone who needs to know that there isnt going to be a direct until September at the earliest I wouldn’t be surprised.

Their 2 big holiday titles might be the all but confirmed 3D Mario Anniversary Collection and/or MK9

1 Like

That alone would make a sweet Xmas ngl

first fucking page, goddamnit

edit: Wife pulled the “I want a Switch Lite” card for Animal Crossing. She’s getting one for Christmas, gonna make her ass wait five months like she did to me last year :joy:

3 Likes

Much love @StuartHayden

2 Likes

Don’t make it weird.

Also, i asked this in the other thread but I’ll ask it again

For those who have played XBC what Arts do you recommend I focus on? I just got Sharla and I’ve yet to spend a single AP on leveling my Arts. Lol

1 Like

Oh it’s already weird buddy.

2 Likes

Should…should we make out?

3 Likes

You know where I live.

3 Likes

Here is the thing, if she gets her own, she maybe starting over from scratch with Animal Crossing. Nintendo is on some dumb shit where they don’t let you transfer your island saves easily. I don’t know if you can do a full system transfer so she gets it but depending on the games it might mean one of you are starting from scratch with some games you have.

2 Likes

Unless you already have it they likely won’t even be available until then, brother