The New Yang Thread Strategy/Discusion/Questions, Ask Here!

Every now and again I like:

(Point blank) Cl.mp > lk xx lk.Teleport (crosses-up) > grab*/cr.lk x2/lp x3 xx lk/mk.Teleport again, etc.

Think it may have to be kara’d*.

**Fk gives Yang his biggest kara range, though cl.mk kara can be very useful in point-blank option-selects. Kara fk.UOH is also quite handy for making ground.

It’s been a good while since I used Yang properly, might have some of these details wrong.

I am having alot of trouble with Yang becuase of an execution error that plagues my game. For example when I try to combo low forward into mantis (ex or normal) very often what will come out is low forward then the goddamm rolling kick thing which is disaterous. The problem is even worse if I try to use low lk or standing lk into ex mantis, the roll kick comes out every time. This seems like a simple problem but I have really have tried to fix my execution to no avail.

Am I correct in thinking that when I release mk it counts as a button press and this could be the issue? I have exactly the same problem with Akuma. More often than not when I try low forward into lk tatsu (for the juggle) he does low forward then mk tatsu (which i can’t juggle).

Please help. :shake:

Yeah it sounds like button-up/negative edge is causing you that problem. Have you tried tapping your buttons faster to avoid the release overlapping with the buffered motion? Sounds like you press and hold mk for a while instead of just tapping.

I’ll give that a try, thank you. I believe it is harder to tap prescisely on a pad though, I can’t use sticks. I’m using the fight pad.

Love this thread. Good stuff!

Ive been wondering what good ways there are to land the command grab? Also, will it always beat a normal grab? Even during its startup frames?

Cr. strong at point blank, wait for block / hitstun to end, command grab.

Hey wassup yall I’m a new Yang player that wants to learn how to play better with Yang. I am very new to using a stick so any advice will be welcomed. Please add me on PSN for like training or something lol PSN : Dj_Jm09

What does SGGK stand for in this option select tutorial?

[media=youtube]Bw1V_etG1PM[/media]

I’m having issues with setting up Yang’s command throw. The tick setup is cr. mk >> throw, right? After I perform the cr.mk my opponent is always too far out of reach from the command throw. Ideas? Thanks.

Some things I’m picking up on as I play with Yang. Might not work to well for advanced play.

• Versus Makoto, you’ll definitely want motion as standing still and playing defensively will get you mixed up with her command over head/throw. I don’t see too many Makoto’s go for ground to air anti-airs, so try to open them up from the air with the airtarget combo. Don’t do open jumps a whole lot because in my experience, you’ll just get [command]thrown and then later, get stunned.

• A nice setup that seems to be working for me is after a towards or back throw, do the short/heavy teledash and you can follow with a mixup pretty nicely.

• It may be obvious, but depending on the player, you can start fights off pretty nicely. Some players like to jump back as soon as the match begins. Use Yang’s roundhouse Kaihou (rolling kick) and you’ll score a nice anti air into strong reset. A lot of Akuma’s start fights off by jumping back and throwing hados. Might not work on Ibuki when throwing shurikens.

• If you don’t want to get read so easy in the start of a match, just jump straight up. Not many people expect this because it takes a very neutral stand and it prevents you from getting thrown.

• Defensive shotos who start matches off defending will sometimes distance themselves after awhile. They will almost always go for a hadoken to break the ice, this is easy bait into a roundhouse Kaihou.

It would be nice if a pro could comment on this. I don’t want to be giving out bad advice.

Try a different normal to tic with…? :confused:
Use your brain a bit more.

most heavier normals push out too far and the frame advantage (important for tick setups in general) is usually better on light normals. c.lp, c.lk, and c.mp work better for tick purposes than c.mk. close mp into walk up kara throw is also good because it’s +6 on block, but the pushback does make walk up command throw a bit of a gamble. unless c.mk is being done at point blank, i don’t think using it for command grab setups is wise.

don’t do yang’s rollkick like that. the kind of shotos who are jumping back sf4-style and throwing projectiles at the beginning of rounds aren’t going to be around after a while. don’t learn bad habits just because of them. also, i think hk teleport might be too slow for setting up any kind of legit mixup after a throw, but i’ll have to get back to you on that.

Well shit, dude! Wowwwwww, thanks so much for the helpful answer! Its cool being a grade-A jackass, hm?:confused:

Anyway, thanks to everyone *else *for the help. I worked out some mixups with Yang last night, I can see why he’s such a deadly character. Cross-up dive-kick on wake-up is especially nasty.

quick question…how do you do yang’s forth trial? the one where you have to link 2 tenshin senkyuutai’s together

Do SA2 IMMEDIATELY after Yang recovers from close MK. If you did it right, Chun should be getting hit behind Yang and the very last hit should whiff. Then do another SA2 right when Yang lands.

thanks got it…and how about the last one? i can only get on set of :qcf::p:in

Just concentrate on two sets of Mantis Slashes at a time, with little pauses inbetween each two Slashes. What I used back when I practiced this were MP Slashes.

Palm(doesn’t matter which) -> qcf+MPx2, pause, qcf+MPx2, pause, qcf+MPx2

I picked up 3s a couple of days ago and took and instant liking to yang and began to read the Yang forums and watch 3s videos. I came across a post from a few years ago saying to learn the buffer timing for s.lp xx EX slashes and s/c.lk xx EX slashes.
I’ve done my fair share of reading about game mechanics and such but i was wondering if someone could clarify this specific buffer, when should i be inputting the qcf motion.
i can do these cancels pretty consistently in training mode by just hitting the buttons quickly but i feel like once i start playing matches ill just be wasting meter on failed cancels.
if anyone could clear this up id be very grateful

So is there like a general strategy for each matchup on here? I cant find anything