The M.O.D.O.K. MATCHUP THREAD

With great brains comes great invincibility: The MODOK matchup thread

Ok so i wasn’t going to create this because i won’t be on enough to edit it into a nice list, but there aren’t that many MODOK users so things should be easy to find.

I played my friends spiderman dante and zero team and i have to say that i no longer think that balloon/jamming bombs are useless. They are pretty much a MUST against teams with high mobility in the air, especially spiderman.

Zero and dante are very very easy to anti-air with a standing light from behind the shield. From there you can go into any combo you want and this will discourage/frustrate them.

Jam session isn’t that bad. Obviously if your shield is up you can ignore it or punish dante, but on rushdown after you push out the attacker, if he continues to rush you down with spiderman,dante or zero you can score a throw into mountain dew into hyper battering ram, it’ll teach them not to get too close.

You have zero hope of anti-airing spiderman with standing light. Infact, the only thing that doesn’t make it a complete nightmare is balloon bomb because it follows his webzips/swings,superjumps. If it hits anyone unexpectedly, you can probably combo into atleast two analyze cubes, then set up the shield and another balloon bomb

Chances are, they will rush you down so badly that you end up in the corner, that actually works against them more than it does you because MODOKS throw is amazing and can halt them completely. You can also switch them up and trap them in a corner with a shield and a series of analyze cubes to stop them from getting out.

If they call an assist you can hyper or combo them. Watch for fullscreen supers while you’re setting up traps ofcourse, Try to bait spiderman users into wasting their air super and setting themselves up

Spiderman matchup feels the worst, but even then i noticed our health was usually even. Without jamming bombs it feels 7-3 spiderman easily but with them, if you block, it feels like 6-4 MODOK. Teleport wasn’t much of a problem, watch out for dante’s who dive from the sky and setup an analyze cube by your feet to wait for them.

Zero feels like he has a bad matchup against MODOK. His jump is slow, he’s a million times easier to predict than spiderman and dante are, and he can’t take all that much.

Not being able to hit that stinking dog (Amaterasu) sure annoys me. I hate how my standing A wiffs, B is too slow and C is slow and wiffs. Down A is fine, B is too slow, C is really too slow. the dog seems to have a weired air hit box as simple BBC then launcher either to drop him down, or call assist, seems to not work, or rarely works against him. He is descent enough with zoning, and fast enough to get close as to make this a bad matchup, at least for me.

But, it hasn’t been a full week, yet so who knows how the match up will turn out.

Welcome to the M.O.D.O.K. Matchup thread!

While this thread will go over each character individually, team dynamics/ synergy and assists can and will be factored into each one, both for M.O.D.O.K. and for the character being discussed.

M.O.D.O.K. has a very interesting and somewhat unorthodox playstyle, we need to figure out what he needs to know/do against EVERYONE to make that playsyle effective!

This will be updated regularly

Akuma

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Amaterasu

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Arthur

Spoiler

To be Discussed

C.Viper

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Captain America

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Chris Redfield

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Chun li

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Dante

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Deadpool

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Dormammu

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Dr. Doom

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Felicia

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Haggar

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Hsien Ko

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Hulk

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Iron Man

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Jill Valentine

Spoiler

To be Discussed

M.O.D.O.K.

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Magneto

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Morrigan

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Pheonix

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Ryu

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Sentinel

Spoiler

To be Discussed

She Hulk

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Shuma Gorath

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Spencer

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Spiderman

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Storm

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Super Skrull

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Taskmaster

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Thor

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Trish

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Tron Bonne

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Viewtiful Joe

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Wesker

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Wolverine

Spoiler

To be Discussed

X-23

Spoiler

To be Discussed

Zero

Spoiler

To be Discussed

reserved (just in case)

ok, now on to discussion. First topic I propose to be Wolverine. He’s known for having some of the best rushdown thus far, and we all know that rushdown is MODOK’s weakness (once they get in that is).

First of all, assists. I feel Hulk’s AA assist works wonders against Wolvie’s rushdown. It’s got a huge hitbox, so it ends to catch him when he does that crossup slash teleport if you time it right. It’s also invulnerable on startup.

Haggar is another great assist for this matchup, Lariat eats through Wolvie’s pressure like no one’s business. Can’t spam it though, cuz 1 well placed snapback could send Haggar in with his health severely depleed :confused:

thoughts?

As far as I’ve found so far playing against Wolverine is massively helped if you watch your position. I’m not meaning just “don’t get stuck in the corner” (although it helps) but in my experience stay off the ground a little. Aerial L and S work really well as panic buttons if you’re at the right height. One thing I say is it’s not a great idea to use the shield against him if you get scared of his pressure, I’ve got trapped between because push block and recovery weirds out if he gets over it.

As far as assists go Haggar and hyper armour Hsein-Ko are great for getting out of trouble when under pressure, but I’d try not to rely on assists too much. I think prevention is better than a cure in this case.

Morrigan’s shadow blade is great for dealing with all non-teleport rushdown I’ve found. Especially if you can get a shield up (though that’s not always possible). Having an L analyze cube at your feet is very important if you know he’s about to close the distance. Also, I agree with DSaB in that staying off the ground can help a lot. Wolvy is kind of weak when you’re above him and MODOK’s got great tools for dealing with pressure from below (L Analyze Cube, j. E, j. L are the best I’ve found).

Also may I suggest Dorm next? I hate fighting that guy.

Yeah Stinger is right about the L Analyse Cube it can be great for killing pressure. Depending on the attack push block straight into L AC is great, stops immediate pressure and gives you time to lay a shield, fly or fire out a balloon bomb. A lot of the time it doesn?t even need to hit them, it just makes them think twice.

I’ve found air dash t J.S is a good combo stater vs. Wolvie. Especially since that’s a hard angle for him to hit you at (unless his assist covers it that is)

For some reason, Hulk’s AA assist was whiffing on some of the smaller characters when I was playing them, even when they were up in my face (Zero and Wolvie), which is one of the reasons why I dropped him.

I’ve been getting much more mileage out of Haggar and honestly think he may be the way to go, even with the danger of snapbacks.

[Edit]

Agree with both of the above regarding L Cubes – it can stop their pressure if it hits, if it’s blocked and sometimes even when they hit you, and they get pushed back into it. It’s really one of Modok’s most essential tools against stopping the rhythm of rushdown characters.
After hitting with L Cube, be sure to pop out the occasional E-Barrier; that thing is ridiculously good and you can just stand in the center of it and get free launches while their attacks whiff.

Played against a really good Wesker today that was using dashes to go under my psionic beam spam, especially during the gaps when my Doom assist wasn’t up. He would get up close, then begin the teleport mixups once he was in range. Worked really well and was extremely difficult to keep him out. He also used crouching attacks to go under my Haggar assist and punish both my characters.

Beserker barrage is also easily punishable by killer illumination, since it leaves him well within the moves range.

And after playing against more wolvie the past few days, I gotta say that haggar assist rapes him if you use him wisely. Leaves him wide open for everything MODOK has, beautiful.

sorry for double post but I just thought of something: what moves/ normals wiff on Wolverine? It would be nice to have a list of what moves wiff on certain characters in their sections.

I can’t test this out today, but from memory, I think standing A and standing C wiff on wolverine, although I might be wrong. also, I know wolverine can duck under Psionic blaster, but it does hit him standing right? No viewtiful joe/ammy height shenanigans here?

also, something I’m going to check ASAP. Whether you can input Killer illumination during the Hyper flash of Beserker barrage or Wolvie’s lvl.3 and win out due to KI’s invulnerable startup. If so, that could be great for avoiding chip if MODOK has the meter.

Sentinel.

I think staying in the air is pretty key here. You cannot stay on the ground, hyper sentinel force WILL catch you eventually. This is why I prefer fighting Sentinel with Deadpool instead of MODOK; DP’s keepaway is stronger in the air than MODOK, in my opinion. Balloon bombs are great against him to stop any approaching and lock him down in his position. Get in the air, use AA assists and don’t ever let him get close.

I agree but I love fighting sent with modok, his hitbox is big to catch him in most overhead combos, but its too big to do any actual loop from what ive seen

you do want to stay in the air and get as many analyze cubes and BB(balloon bombs) onto the field

plus MODOK beats sents air game

Now for Ammy:
This characters is really annoying, since she can dodge most beams and cubes+BB. the only way i can deal with her is if I do a rush down since she is the one characters who won’t eat MODOKS projectiles because of her wacky hitbox

MODOK’s low flight height is perfect for getting air analyze cubes XX hyper battering ram on Sent. The caveat, though, is that Sent’s cr.M will hit MODOK even during low flight height, so either be prepared to block when you see Sentinel crouch, or fly a bit higher so that cr.M whiffs.

Do you guys not use the shield? It’s sentinel that needs to stay in the air vs MODOK not the other way around. His hyper is really the only thing they can do, and if you bait it once thats a wasted super for him so he probably won’t do it too often.

Shield blocks any assist he calls for free and any move he uses fullscreen, i can’t see myself wanting to give that up at all. I use ammy on my team so i’m not as worried about her.

'Dormamms weakness is other zoning characters. His blackhole and purification have startup much longer than your beams, so use one to knock him down then setup a shield. The only thing he could typically do is call an assist, but your shield can ignore that and you can punish the assist for free.

So now he only has two options, to teleport over you and possibly get launched into a combo, to get close where he doesn’t want to be anyways because you are still better there. Or, ofcourselike anyone else he can try to hit you on reaction with his flame super…which you could bait ofcourse.

If your shield is in the right place then it cancels his blackhole anyways, so since his moves are screen dependent, might want to learn where to stand on the screen so you’re safe incase he does manage to get one off.