The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

Well you shouldn’t have.

The shotos are only interesting by virtue of the back story stuff written into various info books from Capcom. As far as what’s presented in-game? Godawful and dull.

Akuma has only remained relevant by being fank-wank OP-guy, having a great visual design…and literally stealing from M. Bison constantly

Even the whole Bison taking over Ryu’s body is something that was forced. The relationship between the two of them originally was about Ryu trying to find Bison to fight him, because you know he’s all about fighting the best of the best, and Bison wanting to use Ryu as a brainwashed soldier should he defeat him. This was all up until SFA3 where Bison could now swap bodies. Bison wanting to use Ryu as one of his pawns was the original plan which made more sense because he wanted to use everyone as a pawn in the first place, than wanting to use a homeless karateka as his prime field.

yes he is fuck him tbh
they’re delaying too damn much Ryu destroying him and move on

He never was that great nemesis to begin with

I get they’re japanese and see in him some sort of supreme badassery but i justdon’t

Bison, Gill, and if well developed Necalli and even Seth are all so much better villains

Ever thought with Bison-Akuma they try do the Raoh-Kaioh “greater Evil” thing… except Akuma never feel greater (not even in the SF2T bs) and Bison alone already cover the feel of both Raoh and Kaioh

Like he’s born as SF Raoh role-wise but as true nature he’s much closer to Kaioh

Most of the Alpha 2 to Alpha 3 transitions didn’t even make sense.

As mentioned, Bison went from wanting to brainwash Ryu to actually taking his body for himself.

Alpha 2: Adon basically got secondhand intel on the Muay Thai fighter being defeated by Akuma, realized that he wielded the same fighting style as Ryu, and made it a point to find and defeat Akuma to prove the greatness of Muay Thai. He had a visualization of Akuma, so I’m assuming he saw him fight before.

Alpha 3: Adon goes from simply wanting to defeat Akuma…to wanting to learn the Satsui no Hado **and ** the secrets of the Shun Goku Satsu to *assimilate *it with Muay Thai. How he even knew what the Shun Goku Satsu was, I have no idea. I dunno if he was expecting to learn this through fighting Akuma or he assumed he was tough enough to make Akuma teach it to him. Either way, that’s one hell of a shift in the story from Alpha 2 to Alpha 3.

Alpha 2: Rose goes to stop Bison from further abusing his Psycho Power. Bison totally disregards her and mocks her. She temporarily succeeds at defeating him, but failed because Bison was still around.

Alpha 3: Rose now realizes the importance of finding Bison and putting an end to him…even if it means sacrificing her own life. Rose basically admits she regrets things ending up how they did because Bison “was her master”. Yes, she did not just try to take him out in the previous game. Rose basically went from treating Bison as if he was just a madman with power to regarding Bison as her “master”. He then appears to take her body over.

Alpha 2: Sagat basically goes off and does his own thing in his ending.

Alpha 3: Sagat continues to blow off Bison’s invitations to join Shadaloo.

Street Fighter 2: Sagat is one of the 4 Kings.

Ryu’s transition is one that actually makes sense. He learned of the Satsui no Hado in Alpha 2, but his journey in Alpha 3 consisted of him wanting to learn more about this power. Other than that, story-wise, Alpha 2 seems like a better end to the Alpha arc than Alpha 3, imo. I definitely like a lot of stuff in Alpha 3, though.

Bison is a scab on reality and when you pick at him you find the festering rot underneath.

That’s why he’s awesome.

As of akuma didn’t fail at his “badass” role enough, he actually says “See ya!” in SFV. That’s one of the most hilariously unfitting things he’s ever said.

God damn it. The more I learn from this thread, the more I despise Gouki. A victim of bad writing or quizzical decision-making on the developers part.

I also legitimately like Alpha 2 as a game and a series in of itself. The problem is, I never actually owned the title! Not even a PS port! It was also one of the first SF games I ever actually played after witnessing CVS2. Ironically, I had Alpha 3. Back in high school, I used to spend lunch time research some story elements between many fighting games (primarily KOF, and a awful lot of SF and Tekken, among a few other games), doing so just out of curiosity.

http://i.imgur.com/o38HvVu.jpg

Till this day, the best Akuma line came from SNK.

Capcom won’t, at best Ryu and Akuma end up in a Batman Killing Joke situation where they both come to some mutual understanding of one another which prevents them from right out killing each other, it’s pretty much ended that way in the more recent media adaptations of their meetings anyway (SF3 Ryu Final, SF Alpha Generations, SFV). That’s literally been the best narrative Capcom’s been given and so far and it seems they’ve been following it in a long drawn out and awkward way.

Yes, but they’re both the same character archetype, they’re both cut from the same mold regardless. They can both relate to Raoh and Kaioh in some way.

It’s like @“Lord Vega” mentioned, Bison was originally implied to be a student of Ryu and Ken’s master (before he was known as Gouken). Bison was set to be the Roah archetype of the story from the start, being the rival student of Ryu (Kenshiro) who usurps the master and becomes the indomitable force. It was only until Cacpom started thinking of a continuation of the series when they started thinking of a new boss to rival Bison.

Instead of making a completely different archetype, they stuck with what they knew would work. Instead of progressing the series, they stagnated in designs and failed to progress the series at the time, and just used a darker version of the hero to incorporate the archetype they knew would work. Thus Akuma was born.

Ironically, this quote was stolen from Bison. One of Bison’s Japanese victory quotes from the original SF2 has him stating that he “knows babies tougher than his opponent” implying that he actually fought a baby (poor Cammy and Decapre :shake:) to know this. Of course, I’d take Akuma’s word on this, he sells fruit to kids after all.

Akuma is a walking reminder to Ryu of the pitfalls of SNH in the path to mastering Anatsuken. By existing as the antithesis to Gouken’s teachings, Ryu knows what to avoid. If Akuma didn’t exist (in-universe), Ryu would have most likely given into the SNH a long time ago.

looks down at a defeated enemy

Sigue asi, y te acabaran matando.

walks always like a bad ass in the opposite direction

Twinnnnnnnnnnn

It’s not necessarily just Bison, I think the problem could easily surface with Gill as well.
Ryu doesn’t really have any personal reason to go after Bison (outside of Ryu’s alignment being Generic Good as opposed to Bison’s Stereotypical Evil), Ryu and the shotos have their own mostly self-enclosed storyline that is going on on its own, so when the shotos get out of their storyline to mess with what should be other characters’ storylines it feels forced. To make the shotos’ role in the plot feel more natural the story should give them a really good reason to get involved, Alpha 3 had such a good reason because Bison, in an attempt to become more powerful, tried to take Ryu’s body (even though Cammy’s was objectively better) and thus it made sense for the shoto storyline and the Shadaloo storyline to collide in that occasion.

You can’t recycle that plot device forever though (even though they tried) and if one can’t come up with any strong reason for Ryu to decide to go after Bison, or Gill, or anyone else rather than actually focus on Akuma (which is his real personal antagonist) then it would probably be better to just keep the two storyline separate from each others.
Have two storylines going on with just minor overlapping between them (nothing wrong with the shotos giving a hand at beating down some Shadaloo’s subordinates, but keep them away from the actual top guys), a main story about the fight against Shadaloo with Chun-Li, Guile and Cammy as the most relevant characters, and a side story about Ryu, Gouken and Ken doing their martial art mysticism shtick with Akuma and the Satsui no Hado looming in the distance. Ryu’s natural antagonist is not Bison nor Gill, it’s Akuma, so you should have Ryu go on and try to take on Akuma rather than rob other characters of their confrontation with their natural antagonist.

It wouldn’t feel okay if, after Akuma beats Ryu in his prologue story, Chun-Li popped out of nowhere and beat the shit out of Akuma, retroactively freeing Ryu of any inner struggle he ever had with his power, thus ending his story for him. It wouldn’t feel okay for two reasons: first, Cammy would be better suited for the job, second, it robs Ryu of a battle that was built up for him back from his background and in favour of another character that doesn’t even have that much of a beef against Akuma.

If they finally move past SF3 and Ryu starts going after Gill I’m going to be ultra-fucking-pissed. One of the best things about SF3, imo, was that Ryu had nothing to do with the Secret Society. It was Alex’s story with Alex’s antagonist and Ryu had nothing to do with it. God help me if Capcom have Ryu be the one to beat Gill.

thing is i don’t even think he’s useless, they should just gave him the role of corrupted uncle, black sheep of the family and secret char.

They could even keep him particular dangerous for Ryu as he know perfectly his style and all his moves, plus many forbidden ones designed exactly to pierce an ansatsuken artist defence

Instead they opted to make him stupid powerful when his design don’t handle it, and put ??? on how legit are the actual cool Bosses (Bison and Gill)

Problem is Gill better cover near gods superhuman, Bison better cover the devil thing, Oro better cover super secret incredible Master

Akuma is just not good enough to cover what Capcom ask to him, but probably they got pink tinted glasses on him because Japan, so they keep go on

I’ll rather see Ryu and Akuma spend there lifetime to self betterment and isolation or either for Ryu with Oro. It’s like they are the Ultima and Omega weapon of the series like in FF. Like they are always in a stale mate situation in rare case they would encounter. Ryu under Oro’s training should be long duration like 10 years not 5 to make it seem interesting and just, but it’s not to change and replace Ryu’s moveset or fighting style but rather to add new techniques or enhance his special moves.

Something like in every game Ryu had different new introduce of super and variation of secondary version of hadouken that superseded each of it’s past iteration which makes it unique in every game he would appear instead of recurring special move. Story wise to emphasize that he is experimenting various styles of Ki manipulation under Oro’s teachings.

While the likes of Urien, Alex and Ed would be the spotlight of the story direction. Since we had enough new blood to pursue and be interesting to captivate audiences. This includes RS and waifus.

Then the likes of Viper, Vega and Juri would go involve always in such kind like they are paid and rent mercenaries.

Chun, Guile, Zangief, Shin and Cammy or Abel would re-appear if there country is involve in such conflict since they are the special kind of people that is sent to fight by their country.

Then Bison and Fang would be also selectable character but the story involvement is always the background part like in early SF4 videos. Like gathering left overs and information of the matches.

Agree with Ryu story in Sf3 was a brilliant in the part of Capcom that make him flexible.

Not everyone needs to be involved around preventing M. Bison’s schemes. I’d have the shotos play their own dramas and stories and not have them involved while other characters take care of Bison.

I’d love for them to introduce these in stages.
two bonus games with a third coming in a later update.
choose the fight after your rival with a later update allowing all fights after your rival.
add a vskill themed training level and incorporate it as a bonus game.
with addition of two rivals for all, player chooses the 1st to fight and later face the 2nd with before their real boss fight.
-also 2nd rival gets buffs on 2nd round (vskill or super)
Final boss gets buffs for fight (vskill or super) and similar buffed bonus story fights after.

I think when you consider Nash’s story in both games, it’s a safe bet to say that most of the incidents in A3 are supposed to override A2.