The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

This.

The Gill-explosion tool they gave him was a straight kamikaze attack, sacrifice life to inflict the maximum damage
Also tbh SFV Nash is not really “alive” to begin with

Agree we audience were conditioned to accept his death in ASF and his individual story mode from Kolin and Ed. Capcom should at least done better after the Nash death into a phase that is climatic and dramatic with Guile or with other veterans not just a Ryu climax and power-up event.

1- I don’t think it’s a money reason, i think it’s more about Shadaloo HQ being built in essential militar style… probably Bison himself have relatively small private area/bedroom (but entire HQ is essentially his home)

About sharing the same room i think it started when Ed has been just kidnapped by Rog, as way to control him and prevent escape attempts.

Then they likely agree to keep this habit as it’s the moment they can plot theyr shit without shadaloo (Fang specially) spying them

Money wise his story alt hint he can afford pricy shit, tbh if they did’nt gone SF2 nostalgia stage i will have been ok if they gave him some Vegas stage looking like this

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ruy5gKISh50/sddefault.jpg

2- Serioulsy fat peoples should stop pick Zangief, low dat bodyfat or go cosplay Rufus lol

Mhh. I prefer to think that Ryu was still outmatched against Bison and only won because Bison was very weakened by Nash’s sacrifice (because I refuse to believe that everything Nash did was in vain, and Nash isn’t even a character I’m invested in any way whatsoever) and the general failure of his plans, while Ryu was able to summon his Power of Nothingness-thing as the situation became critical.

Having an all powerful protagonist that wins by virtue of been handled the strongest mojo by the plot is not really interesting in my opinion, it’s much better to have protagonists that are theoretically outmatched by the big bad but win anyway through strategy, determination, a temporarily awakened power, cooperation with other protagonists, any other narrative nonsense that is still cliché but at least is more interesting than having the villain been doomed since the very beginning because the protagonist was better than him from the start or got a random power-up that made the conclusion obvious.

I don’t think Ryu would’ve won had Nash not sacrificed himself and absorbed a chunk of Bison’s power. On that note, I don’t think *anyone *could’ve possibly won had Operation CHAINS actually succeeded.

More importantly, I don’t think Bison had a problem with losing to Ryu. It was great.

Nash death seems tuesday to Guile and Nash return seems tuesday to Abel.

Bison deserve more than a Ryu realization power-up.

It’s like the Ties that Bind that were everyone just watch Ryu being beat to death by an unknown and strange shadaloo guy(Seth) with a huge yin and yang in the belly that seems invincible. As if they treat Ryu and Seth(unknown guy) have something to prove to each other or settle a score.

Unlike something in SF2AM and Sf2V that is about the combined efforts of Ryu and Ken. It’s not the power of friendship, realization and it doesn’t even need a power-up. The same with SF4 Juri movie when Guile, Chun li and Cammy.

Even in SFZero animation were everyone take fight seriously against Rosanov and Sadler. It’s like they are really fighting a Madman or a Monster.

Ryu ain’t the Goku of street fighter universe that usually the best of his planet that fought a lot of invaders in the past… so the confidence of the many to him against those monster and madman shouldn’t be like how every Z warriors thinks with Goku. Ryu isn’t even close to Superman in what the Justice League expect to him.

I just missed those days when fights are more than a battle of principles and preferences. Not a fight that seems staged that everyone would choose to just watch, gather and wait for their turn or wait for the power-up to happen that lacks the feeling of danger and terror. IMHO

Another one that seems the fight ain’t serious like Ken is trying to prove something and Akuma seems to be someone trying so hard to convince and sellout himself to be a better martial artist than Gouken. This new trends of watching, proving or waiting for a turn kinda is meh and staged. IMHO

Even 90’s DBZ and YuYu hakusho tournament that is a one on one match-up is interfered by a fellow team member to distract the big baddie or to see where the weakness of the seem invincible opponent is. That turns the next battle in a different climatic phase in a more reasonable and emotional way to reach a sort of power-up and not just a personal thing.

Same with Jotaro’s Big baddie fights in Stardust and Diamond is unbreakable needs intervention and done with the right transition.

Ignore for a moment my avatar, believe or not i agree with everything you said.

If i was the one to design the final fight i will have probably made it with Ryu-Bison happen with a defeated knocked down Nash still there in the area.

Fight goes on as an absolute war, and both Ryu/Bison heavy damaged and tired… Nash realize that at best they will both die, and to save Ryu’s life jump in and goes kamikaze explosion on Bison

Ryu survive, Bison destroyed, Nash die as an hero fullfilling his mission

…but that’s if i was the one who write it
I find kinda absurd give an interpretation going on “i will prefer that way”

For how SFV story handle it, an apparently perfectly fine Ryu win the fight.
Then Bison throw at him a PsychoPower wave (and seem confident it’s a strong attack) that Ryu don’t even dodge or block… he just tank it with the body and reply with his attack, wich destroy Bison.

And again after it Ryu does’nt even seem weakened in any way (and we seen weakened/injuried characters in ASF)

I was disappointed by how “easy” it looked

I don’t think it was a way to portray Ryu as absolute superior to Bison (in fact soon after ASF Ryu get destroyed by Akuma), more like a way to show that current ASF Bison’s PsychoPower was completely unable to handle Ryu’s new (endgame) ki

Wich is why Bison himself was surprised/interessed just before crumble (as he know death for him is’nt definitive)

And if they wanted to stick with that narrative mindset, a 100% or 80% Bison does’nt do much difference, you will have seen same result with maybe Guile/Chun help him run out of the collapsing base

That fight sounds a lot better than the one we got. The thing is, it’s the same as Nash’s A3 end if you swap Guile with Ryu, which, sadly, didn’t happen, either. They insist on choosing the lamest deaths for Nash.

I dunno, I don’t think they are that bad. I mean, they have attached this otherworldly matter to his body, probably regular stitches wouldn’t do the trick?

Secret Society is more into science thing if they would have some sort of necromancy that would be science and just a little bit of esoteric practices. That was eleven’s body part and I believe if they can do something like Necro and Twelve that is cleaned operated and assemble creatures or mutation they could do better with Nash that is an important character to their ambitions.

The only probable cause if this is a plot device that loosely body of Nash was intended by the Secret Society for him to be submissive to sacrifice for their plans.

I like the big stitches too

Peoples need to realize that Street Fighter have an anime-exagerated style where stylistical choices > context

Many times it’s really about “it look like this because we like it like this”

In Nash case they chased and exagerated this

I like the line of the wound being less linear and stitches being a bit wacky, it fit SF style imho and make easier associate it with some big serious incident and give Nash a bit of that “freak” vibe the story is already giving him

…example his win quote over Nec show it very well
"I have no intention of losing. Especially in a fight between monsters…"

There’s a big difference between stitches, and staples. Nash has fucking staples.

Then they have shit taste and someone else should be making SF.

I’m supposed to praise something sucking just because it sucks on purpose?

I get what you’re saying.
I think we look at the story more in different ways. You interpret it very literally and try to see deeper meanings even in the minor details, when I think of the story mode instead I think of it as a flawed product where the writers couldn’t express properly all of their ideas because of time and resources constrains and bad writing, therefore when I watch the story mode I’m more focused on trying to understand what the writers probably wanted to convey rather than taking the actual finished product as a gospel.

It’s a way to justify stuff like Chun and Guile being worthless and Necalli being a jobber: Chun-Li was probably supposed to have her story centered around her relation with Li-Fen to pave the way for SFIII’s Chun and make her go beyond the Shadaloo plot but I think her plot arc was barely developed at all, Guile was obviously supposed to have his reunion with Nash but that was also done too little and too poorly, while Necalli was supposed to be a great threat rather than a recurring annoyance, but you’ll never be considered a threat as long as you keep losing to everyone (couldn’t Necalli at least be allowed to fight NPCs and eat a few of them, to give him a semblance of a kill count?).

I don’t see any big meaning behind Ryu looking okay after his fight with Bison, sometimes characters look visibly weakened and sometime not, it’s just that, while him tanking the Psycho Power wave was just a way for the writers to show off the Power of Nothingness in action (which as far as I know should be a powerful defensive technique first of all).
At least, that’s my take on it.

On an unrelated note, your take on the final fight with Bison is really good, that would have been a more satisfying ending (although, the scene of Bison laughing at end of the real final battle, even in defeat, was also a pretty cool moment that fitted Bison’s character perfectly. The whole story mode is like that, sometimes they nailed it and sometimes they dropped the ball).

That’s pretty much old school Capcom art style

Like it or not, both options are fine to me

Actually Nash is one of the very best SFV examples of Capcom style traslated into 3D models

If only every char of the game was done with such love for SF style, my beautiful eyes will have neve suffered Ken’s face, Alex everything, Ed’s wig

I haven’t seen anyone post these, but anyway, USF2 has a few new win quotes for everyone.

[details=Spoiler]Akuma

The path to mastery is lined with the corpses of the weak!

Your soul is fettered by goodness. Die for your foolishness!

Fall, and accept your fate!

I felt nothing …but weakness!

Match Start (CPU Shin Akuma Battle)
You are nothing before the Master of the Fist. Abandon hope! Abandon strength! Abandon life!

Balrog

My fists have a very strict diet… They only eat losers!

We’re gonna need someone to sweep your teeth off the floor!

Man, who said you could get your blood on my fists?

Get up you wimp!

Blanka

I survived a dog eat dog world… You’re just a puppy!

Seeing you in action is a joke!

You wouldn’t last a day in the jungle that made me a beast!

I bite harder than a tiger, and strike faster than a jaguar!

OW OW OW AAAH!

Cammy

Time for some seek-and-destroy practice. I’ll give you a ten-second headstart!

You lost when you took me for an easy target!

Did you sleep through your mission briefing? Now you pay the price!

You fighters are all the same! You refuse to accept the inevitable.

You must enjoy being beat! Let me remodel your face one more time!

You surrender? I accept.

Don’t curse me, curse your own lack of discipline.

Britannia rules the waves!

Chun Li

Thought you could take me, huh? You’re just like all the rest… Weak!

What’s the matter? Too many kicks to the head?

There is no chance for you to beat me! Challenge someone else!

The world’ greatest fighter has no time for losers!

Win Quote vs. Females
That’s right, fall to your knees…just like every other woman who dared challenge me!

Win Quote vs. Males
That’s right, fall to your knees…just like every other man who dared challenge me!

Dee Jay

Don’t worry mon, me sing at ya funeral!

Me heart is ready for more passionate dance fightin’! Who next?

Your problem is you don’t have any rhythm!

Hush now, mon! Don’t be scarin’ de crowd wit ya screams of pain!

Your beat kept me on my toes, mon! Let’s dance this dance again sometime!

Me can dance all night!

Dhalsim

Without enlightenment, you are lost in darkness! Seek the light!

Fate… It was your fate to lose.

Now you’ve realized the inner mysteries of Yoga!

Do you not understand the mind must be trained before the fist?

E. Honda

Guahahahaha! I can’t believe you were really trying!

My palms smash wood, stone, and pride! Guahahahaha!

You’re not worthy to carry my loincloth! Guahahahaha!

Get up again! I need some headbutt practice!

Real power comes from muscle, not inner peace!

Can’t you do better than that?

Evil Ryu

My power will destroy all!

I’ll put an end to the beating of your feeble heart!

This… THIS is my power! No one can stop me!

You’re weak…too weak to exist! You must pay for your weakness with death!

A match as worthless as this is a far cry from the true blood match I seek…

Fei Long

Come back when you learn to fight!

I tried to tell you before. No one can match my kung fu skills!

Kung fu is the supreme fighting style!

You must learn to block or my speed will always overcome you!

All talk, huh? What a let-down!

You’re pretty strong… But luck is on my side!

You never had a chance!

Guile

Go home and be a family man!

You fought all-out, but for me this was just training.

Why did you lose? Because you still value survival more than victory.

Your style is straight out of the manual…no innovation.

Are you man enough to fight with me?

I will not stop until my friend is avenged.

Ken

You’d need at least five of you to beat me… No, ten!

Whew, I’m outta breath! You really had me on the ropes!

Wipe that look off your face already. You have only yourself to blame!

M. Bison

Now you understand your worthlessness! You fighters exist only to be crushed!

How do you like the taste of true fear? I will make it the last thing you remember!

My bruises are testament to your skills. But the ultimate result was inevitable!

Be glad I spared your pointless life. Now crawl out of my sight!

You are strong enough to serve me, but you don’t know how to kneel. Die!

Get lost! You can’t compete with my powers!

Have you no conception of who I am!? I massacre the likes of you by the dozen!

Ryu

I really broke a sweat! How about another round?

You did quite well, but you need more training to defeat me!

You must defeat my Shoryuken to stand a chance!

Blind pride can only hold you back. There are fighters out there stronger than either of us!

Sagat

Your training has failed you. Hang up your gloves and quit!

I won’t be satisfied until I bear the title of world’s strongest again!

I am the one true champion. It’s time you learned your place.

Kick me as hard as you can… You’ll only break your leg!

I will win, no matter how many new scars I gain along the way!

T. Hawk

Without a truly noble purpose, you can never hope to win!

I am guided by neither rage nor grief, but by the call of my sacred bloodline!

You scurry like a mouse, but I strike like a hawk!

To stop me now would be an evil thing. The gods will not allow it!

My totem is too great for your desperate fighting techniques!

Mine is a warrior tribe. I was born to defeat you!

I can crush trees in my bare biceps. Leave before I do the same to you!

Vega

Victory is truly magnificent. Why choose anything else?

Handsome fighters never lose a battle!

Weakness is a lack of beauty! In other words, you disgust me!

Thank you for a gorgeous time!

Violent Ken

I feel like a man reborn. And now… Now I can never lose!

I’m not looking for a good fight. I just want to win!

I’ll become stronger than anyone, no matter what the cost!

Zangief

Next time we meet, I’m gonna break your arms!

Today we stain Russian soil a little redder with your blood!

My strength is much greater than yours!

You wouldn’t survive another round. I’ll let the ambulance take you now!

…I! …Am! …The Red Cyclone! I pull you in…and smash you up!

[/details]

After seeing Nash for the first time, I assumed that the Secret Society just recovered his body and resurrected utilizing Gill’s power or their technology.

http://i.imgur.com/eJnGJ2x.jpg

Once I saw this from the Udon story, I was expecting that to be the explanation behind Nash’s revival:

Urien’s story threw a wrench in that completely. I would’ve been good with my original assumption.

As for Nash’s design, I like it. I prefer classic Nash overall, but the SFV look is creepy and cool. Ibuki actually thinks his scary ass is handsome.

Aren’t some of these quotes just victory quotes from the Japanese version of SFII that never got translated in the Western version of the game?

Yes that’s true, there’s actually an article which covers the Japanese quotes which were never translated link. Though there are some new ones sprinkled about there. For example Sagat

Brand new: “Kick me as hard as you can… You’ll only break your leg!”

Newly Translasted: “I will win, no matter how many new scars I gain along the way!”

@bakfromon Those win quotes read like bad fan fiction.

Just be glad they didn’t include the quote where Bison implies he fights babies

“There are babies tougher than you! Those without power are disgusting to see!!”