The Inevitable Street Fighter V Story Thread: ARCADE EDITION!

I don’t see Alex ever returning to be the attempted “protagonist” of the saga. After his pathetic participation in SFV and new “blonde” fighters like Abel and Ed taking the spotlight on recent games, Alex will never have a chance to shine.

Tbh Alex still have unfinished business vs Gill, with SF3 Illuminati’s arc does’nt end, it just started

And Alex work well because is more a temporary deviation hero, rather than some “let’s move beyond Ryu” bullshit (wich was pretty much the spirit of him getting canon bitchslapped by Ryu in SF3)

As long they don’t have a legit successor for Ryu (and neither Ed or Alex are), side arc heroes are ok, as long they don’t take the KoF road where great iconic heroes (Terry, Kyo) are kinda left behind and each chapter offer a new metrosexual-of-the-month wannabe cool guy who’s supposed to be the new face

…who usually have to defeat some new random-Boss-of-the-month nobody give fucks about

SF can be moved a bit from his conservative castle, but stay loyal to it’s own tradition is it’s strenght
Other FGs wish they got the icons SF have, brand building and legacy wise it’s a treasure

What I really want to see is the series get scaled back to the SF1/SFA vibe, where the protagonist isn’t a champion and could believably lose to another martial artist without anime magic bullshit. Whether this means a pre-SF1 game with Gouken/Akuma trying to prove themselves (basically with Akuma = Anakin Skywalker) or a post-Illuminati arc, it would be a much-appreciated return to the series’ roots. And not with the entire roster as younger/older veterans with their masters/apprentices, but actual new characters to show how other styles come and go.

Alex is a never-was.

Sad but true. I like Alex but he doesn’t have the requisite charm or iconography of a main character.

I personally liked Nash better than Guile and I still do, even after they destroyed his caring character that he had in A3 and turned him into a revenge-seeking machine.

I really want Ryu away for a while but still selectable in game because of other characters veteran and new characters seeks him like Alex and Oro does. Thats the best direction to him and not something into seeking someone to be his apprentice that makes him old and there is too much apprentice trend already IMHO

If Ryu would needs to guide someone personally I would recommend Mel beginning early twenties. because that seems a strong personal direction for Ryu to break from being a lone nomad. if ever it would not just another of this cliches “this guy got potential”… It’s like Picolo changing mindset to suddenly train Gohan.

ALex could just defeat the current Secret Society under Gill, Thats interesting to happen and to make Urien secretly having his own organization based from Secret Society members and former Shadaloo people.

I really do want Nash back the with the usual former self in someway too. He had better and natural design Alpha than Guile from visuals and moves… Now in SFv he might not as better visual than his Alpha illustration but his moves are more better than the previous.

The idea of a time skip that advanced the plot dramatically somewhat scares me honestly, I’m afraid Capcom may screw it up massively and enforce changes on the series that would make it unrecognizable or not have what I liked about it.

At the same time, 30-something hardcore military Cammy kicking ass all around, now in charge of a squad of redeemed Dolls with Decapre as her right hand, yes please.

There’s surely a lot of potential in the idea to end up being absolutely glorious or a total disaster, and it doesn’t help that I’m the kind of person who’s pretty anxious about the idea of change in general.

So, I hear Abigail really is in. Abigail. Why do we deserve Abigail? I swear, capcom better have pre damn good spot for him in the story cuz the shit they did with Laura in ASF was trifling imo. I mean, we should have been able to play against a doll with her. Tsk!!

Rose, Cammy, Balrog and Abel can still appear in future SF because of Neo Shadaloo as something that they guide and monitored or spyid in case Bison returned or those guys would do trouble or be in trouble.

I’m all for scaled back. I look at what Joss Whedon said about Avengers and their sequels, it was something along the lines of “We don’t want to go bigger, but deeper” You start off movie 1 as an alien invasion, you use the next flicks to delve into the heroes and villains and their world rather than trying to escalate the threats. I’d like to see things shift back to martial arts plots. You can have things going on at the side or together. I want to get back to plots that don’t involve end of the world chaos – those work, but those shouldn’t be the only thing SF is about. I like KoF having different sagas, and wouldn’t mind SF having a similar approach to future stories.

Time skips tend to scare me as well. I don’t mind characters advancing a bit by bit, but don’t need to toss out everything in favour of a new generation of characters when there’s still so much room for growth for most of the cast.

After the Gill story is over, I’d like something maybe with an underground Triad tournament mystery.

Ryu will always be the poster boy of the series, he’ll be part of the roster once SF10 comes around eventually. However he’s not the protagonist and hasn’t been in ages. The storyline never revolves around him, and that’s good since Capcom can always create new protagonists and storylines, keeping things fresh and interesting, yet always having a familiar face around.

I had an half-idea that, maybe, once the Illuminati plot is resolved and SFIII’s loose ends are properly done for (and if Capcom really starts releasing multiple Cinematic Stories for SFV they might be able to do so in this game) then it wouldn’t be a bad idea to pull a Mortal Kombat 9 and reboot the series’ timeline. That’s how you get to return to the roots of SFII/Alpha by retelling the older stories in a new way, this time with the advantage of having real story modes that can be understood without hunting down Japanese magazines from the '90s to get all the details.

I find it a bit less scary prospective compared to a time skip (because with a reboot, even if the new continuity sucks, the older one doesn’t risk being ruined), but still a potential source of problems. I can easily see someone here probably disliking this idea because they fear Capcom will ruin the old storylines, and I would understand them, really.

I wouldn’t mind a retelling of past stories, but since it’s taken so long for us to even get to this point, I kind of want to keep up momentum and keep on going for the numbered titles.

I love Bison and Shadaloo, but I’m curious in seeing other avenues past him and Gill and then doing a grand return of Bison at some point, but I think a reboot, would just take us back to familiar territory. I’d rather an awesome couple of flashbacks or in a way like Ties that Bind, have an OAV that tells the canon history of SF.

No need for a reboot. Flashbacks are enough and SF4 is essentially a soft reboot of the storyline.

I would only condone going back if we go waaay back and do a Street Fighter: Snake Eater entry into the story.

I want to move past 3S now and I want to do it WITH the majority of our characters. None of that new gen bullshit taking over.

https://ibmv5.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/bison-stomp.jpg

KNOW YOUR PLACE KIDS!

Fuck Bison and Shadaloo. Fuck Rose. I want to see new storylines in the Street Fighter series, that’s getting so boring. Street Fighter should EVOLVE!!

Actually Capcom can do another SF title within SF3 timeline… something like it happens within those situation to make things more clearer.

by letting this others sets having different concerns in between SF3NG and before SF3TS

Characters can be involve:

Urien, Kolin, Cammy, Rose, Abel, Fang, Guile, Juri, Twelve, Adon, Sagat, Thawk, Viper, Chunli, Balrog, Vega and Necali along with the Neo Shadaloo Gang.

They still can add Ryu, Ken and Akuma without disrupting and conflicting their roles in SF3 timeline because their plot their seems flexible already.

It’s really time for them to stop making these pre-SF3 stories. I want the next SF to take place after 3rd Strike.

Now that we’ve seen the Secret Society played a part in engineering Shadaloo’s fall, that’s a good enough bridge to the SF3 story. We don’t need SFVI to be yet another in-between story.

There’s not really space anymore for pre-SFIII stories at this point. The Illuminati have shown their hand and Shadaloo is decisively defeated… Again. It could make it’s umpteenth return but it would be really forced. Alex has made his first chronological appearance laying the foundations for his role in III, even if his actual role in V is just a big cameo story-wise, and with the end of ASF the stage is naturally set for SFIII to happen. Which is why Ed’s organization-we-know-nothing-about surprised me, they opened another subplot now that things naturally flow into III?

The only question now is, with the rumors of more cinematic stories to come, whether SFV will just stop before SFIII or if it will start to go directly into SFIII territory and maybe beyond, expanding on it.

I wouldn’t think too much into the Ed subplot just yet. His ending could be no more of a harbinger than Cammy’s SF2 ending showing Delta Red with her or Hakan’s showing his family. All his ending shows is that Ed managed to make friends and is trying to move on with his life. I really doubt we will see a full blown Neo-Shadaloo organization on the scale of Shadaloo or the Illuminati, certainly not with Ed at the helm.

There are a few months left between the end of SFV and the beginning of SF3, this coincides with the time skip we saw in Ed’s ending. Are we getting another cinematic story that talks about those 3-6 months? It’s possible, but I doubt it. Instead the character stories will fill in that minor gap. There’s not much left to explain pre-SF3.

The only stone left unturned is Tom x Gill and how Gill laid his eyes on Alex. This can be explained away in a character story again.

FFS, I hate that. If they’re going to set it in the SFIII time they should bury all this “Special Forces vs Shadaloo” thing/storyline… no more Guile and Cammy, Rose already accomplished her purpose, Vega and Balrog are not needed they’re too tied to Shadaloo.

They should bring new characters with backgrounds related to a brand new storyline, not old stuff.

At least KOF realized they had to move on with their storylines, Nests was nothing like the Orochi saga and they haven’t keep resurrecting every character from the Orochi Saga (well, we have Rugal as a bonus character and Vice/Mature have returned but they’ve never been prominent in the storyline), instead they have new villains (some of them very interesting) and a lot of things where they could get new characters from (still hoping for the Hizoku or Those from the Past to be playable at some time).