The Diary of an aspiring Balrog player

Diary Entry 7/22/2013, 11:41PM

"After the loss to a bison player decided to spend time on shadow boxing in training mode, after practicing some meaty TAP found in this thread I proceeded with 8 laps of crLP crMP link training (start from one corner and crLP cMP till I hit the opposite corner, then jump over and rinse and reapeat) I was able to hit the link wall to wall and I was satisfied.

Next up I had to read the forums, saw an old combo said to do 1000 stun, in haste I rebooted my PC, and did it but in 2012 it does only 755 Stun, meaning I need a reset overhead to headbutt to get a stun. not bad. learnt alot today. 

Playing Balrog for this short time has shown me I still lack in fundamentals when it comes to patience and grounded offence, my AA skills from Gen transitioned nicely to Rog crHP, also noticed that Balrog standing medium punch and jumping medium punch has some awesome AA hitbox, and standing lp seems good for dive kick attacks. Oh well one step at a time and even though I am not that good yet it feels good to play with my brains and not relying on jumping ambiguous setups.

Also the Balrog forum has alot of nice guys that are willing to help and I am thankful that they are here for me."

Daily Entry 7/24/2013, 6:30PM

Played the top sim in the local community today, doing alot of stupid stuff, getting impatient, forgetting all my setups. I feel terible, but will keep trying

Sim is a difficult match, it takes a lot of patience. Best advice in the match is not to jump, there’s nothing you can do in the air that won’t give Sim an advantage, you win the match on the ground. Once you get him knocked down, pressure the hell out of him. It’s really easy to forget that Sim’s “safe” teleport, is his tiger knee teleport and not his regular teleport. Tiger knee has good speed/recovery, regular does not and is susceptible to option select TAP.

Me vs. Dhalsim It’s OLD.

Thanks for the advice sir, what do you think of the overhead times two lol.

lol, nothing wrong with taking advantage of people who can’t block a double overhead. very old tech is cancelling into overhead from far standing jab, some people assume that balrog needs down charge to perform OH and think it’s dash low or dash straight.

Lmao, that’s so cool. Will do that

Diary Entry 8/18/2013 12:51PM

Was able to land sHK crMP consistently after a crumple and finishing with the BnB for 381 Damage off a lv2 crumple making the jab jab focus tech very dangerous. I get 410+ if I use crMP instead of crLK but I am not consistent. will practice more but I am only used to a single one frame link in a combo of now (Gen BnB is one frame)

I also noticed that Balrog fierce dash punch produces a bigger pushback on block from poing blank making a 3 frame jab punish impossible, but its -8 on block even at that it is hard to tell the difference from the jab version.

So far liking balrog but sometimes I find myself relying on dash straights too much, but now I have the spacing down for max range dash straight I am good.

After ultra balrog best meter build is wiff TAP and light headbutt for 60meter gain (dash straight is 20 on wiff while headbutt and TAP is 30)

Cant seem to have dangerous mixups yet, focusing on getting my fundamental footsies up to par and making my opponent scared to throw random pokes.

Diary Entry 8/18/2013 10:13PM

So this is what happens when a Balrog player cracks vs Guile. will put learning patience a priority in my training so I dont fall prey to something like this. I wonder how to deal with the guile match up.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the Guile matchup it’s do not use TAP.

TAP’ing SBs is pointless, as an EX RU at almost point blank still won’t punish so why would TAP?

Best bet for Guile is at the start of the round, focus and jump the booms until he’s in the corner then wait for a bad boom or a good read on your part to jump in and get the damage. If you get impatient and crack you will lose very quickly. It’s a tough matchup though, especially if the Guile player throws a boom and doesn’t walk back.

If you want to punish Boom > Backdash use an EX Smash. Get in range and catch boom startup with sweep, and once you’ve got the knockdown start baiting out the flash kick or jumping in and fishing for the counter hit setup with cs.RH.

It’s a hard match though, I lost to a Guile yesterday at a regional.

Wow, thanks man. will keep that in mind. I dont normally lose to guile, maybe because I dont play good ones. we normally lame it out till 20 seconds lol

Check out this matchup video I did against one of the best Guile’s i’ve ever played. http://youtu.be/gqk_byiAT9s

Relying on straights isn’t bad, i still do. They’re easy to beat though, i always try to blow up Balrog’s that abuse straights in the mirror match by sweeping their whiffed straights. It helps though when they want to focus and you can use smash to push them into the corner though. Nice notes on the meter gain after ultra, I always wondered what built the most meter. Also keep in mind that you can TAP under their body and fierce headbutt over their body to kill their back-charge while keeping them in the corner. Beware of using TAP against Gief’s falling body, Balrog ALWAYS teleports behind him in the corner.

Thank you so much for the tips I will keep that in mind vs zangief lol! I wonder if he teleports also for Seth in the corner. its hard to find new stuff but I have a feeling there is one or two out there lol

Diary Entry 8/20/2013 8:41AM

Watched this Balrog combo video. and I came to one beatiful conclusion: Balrog doesnt need fancy combos as long as you can nail down his BnB and clHK crLK combos and one ex meter. I strongly feel balrogs meter is best used to blow through the opponent with armour.

I wish they will give balrog EX lv1 TAP (hold all six buttons) that has full invulnerability till active frame and causes a wall bounce! :stuck_out_tongue:

On a side note I saw in the forums a post showing OH Lv2 focus crumple into U2 but it seems character specific. I wonder who it works on aside Adon for 740 stun I love that combo with my heart. was able to net 550 damage after post stun combo

That may have been my post, about the Ultra 2.

It works on every character as far as I’m aware, I just mentioned I only use it on big bodied characters because the timing is a real bitch on the standard size characters if you hit them crouching. An overhead Lv2 focus crumple into U2 definitely works and is hella easy on every character if you hit them with it standing though (I.E. don’t block or catch a move or recovery).

This is the video of the setup:

This is how to stun every character:

For characters with a higher stun threshold you can use a heavy version of the OH (note the LP version is used in the notes). If the combo into the reset is succesful you will get a guaranteed stun on every character, Zangief included. A combo after the setup from the stun assuming you have one meter usually ends up in doing about 80% life to a standard health character (I.E. Ken very nearly dies from the setup from yellow HP).

I digress anyway, don’t want to derail the original purpose of this thread.

Edit:

Oh and just one more tip - if your overhead gets blocked in a real match, let the level 2 focus rock anyway, it works as a somewhat pseudo frame trap to what they think is a reaction punish to the blocked overhead (and generally is a nice tactic even when you have Ultra 1).

Also for the record, I’m 99% certain you can use this setup with Ultra 1 and get the full standing (non juggle) Ultra off of the crumple. I’m comfortable with doing a standard Dash Ultra 1 with Rog now, however I cannot get Focus Crumple, Dash Ultra 1 at all, so I’m unable to test it effectively.

Yay thanks! Standing yes but crouching its kinda wierd though except for Adon which hits no matter what lmao!!! as for the Ultra 1 its very much possible just that the damage is just slightly higher than OH crMP HP headbutt U1 lol. the reason you are not getting crumple to dash U1 is because of the hitstop, the hitstop for crumple is alot longer so you have to keep holding charge and DELAY the dash till the hitstop is nearly over then it will come out neat and easy.

Diary Entry 20/8/2013 11:32PM

Okay I seem to love level TAP and hope my tournament name will be MCZ|TAP lol who said I can’t dream :stuck_out_tongue:
Now for some reason I can hit stHK crMP very easily but crlp stHK is a nightmare. Thinking of ways to get used to balrog defence under pressure is weird for me, oh well I need to get in some match videos online soon.

Almost forgot. I confirmed that Rog can vary his dash distances by making the backdash longer and forward dash shorter, will surely come in handy.

Also balrog hurtbox is weird I can swear it looks like an attack will hit in front and then teleport and hit behind. Oh well I have my lucky TAP.

Thanks a lot, this has really helped. I just hit it for the first time, 492 damage - that’s pretty chunky for 2 bars if I do say so.

Hehe, but you get 470 without meter lol! Oh well it depends on the situation but me I love my meter for shimmy superstar supers.

What do you mean by that? how so?