The Diary of a Gen player

Welcome to the club, there’s a lot of Gen info on the thread. If u have any particular question let me know. But usually if you have a grip on crMP hands, good spacing, good anti air and good setups after knockdowns u will go far with Gen.

About matchups you need to have an idea what’s safe or not but most matchups Gen can control with crMP hands. And taking advantage of his focus attack as well to get in

what options I have when I’m cornered against a high pressure character like bison or sakura or a ryu with meter and ultra?
can I use HP as a reliable anti air or just go straight for crane C.HK ? Some times people no respect my anti-air game and just jump over me. I’m sure is my weak point cause when I’m playing the ground game I usually win. What can I do to improve my anti-air game? Thank you.

Watching CandaCup.

Gen AA options

Mantis
Midrange to Far Range: crHP
Close range to midrange: j.HP or J.HK
S.MP is good vs dive kicks and the trade is in your favor

Close range; EX gekiro

Very close or cross up: sHP or sMP if you must. Best is auto correct EX gekiro

Crane
Close to mid range: crHK
All ranges; Jyakoha aka crane super (opponent must be close to you to avoid trade and beats 5f safejumps)

Depends on how life you have. Bison has no overhead so just camp there, after scissors kick he has to either crLK or try to throw,expect crLK or sHK after scissors kick, if you don’t see those then he wants to walk up throw so throw in a crJab if you trade keep blocking and look for the throw which is the only way to take damage and since Bison has no two hit moves if you notice he’s outside crLK range just let loose a lv2 focus attack then dash in and create some space

Thanks for your help I’m going in to the lab for practice my AA ranges so I can respond on reaction. Also is true what you say about bison I think I’m just hiting buttons too much and getting counterpoked when I need to be more patient and find my oportunity.

One more question. Is about the oga set up in the corner that usually use Xian after a Ex gekiro. whats are the variations of that set up?

Thanks.

While facing sakura in the corner have these in mind, if you have the life take the throw and look out for the overhead, once you block it reversal fierce hands to push her back. If you block her light tatsu reversal hands is 3 frames so it will buy you space to breathe because of the pushback and if it hits and you have meter fadc and combo into sHP hard gekiro to be free from the corner pressure. Ex tatsu is +4 on block so be calm and look out for throw and sHP lk tatsu. Don’t push buttons if you are cornered

For the gekiro its a hard kick gekiro not ex, usually wiff then oga ceiling drop, using light will hit one side and using hard will hit another side, useful vs sagat and ibuki due to a small chance of being unblockable. Try maintaining corner pressure and only go for it if it will win the round

you’re right my bad is HK, I didn’t know how to make it hit in the different sides, also y saw one more variation of that move that is a fake like an empty jump in to C.lk and is safe.
Thanks.

Its not safe, I believe Gen has like 7 or 8 landing frames, just that people expect it to hit so a wiff puts then off. If u want that just go for the oga immediately after the gekiro

I’m very happy now, cause I had the problem that my fingers start to numb when I does hands for a while and figure it out a ton of different ways to do the hands. And finally, I find one that is optimal for me so I’m very comfortable doing it now :3

Xian won the Grand Finals in dubai a while ago, impressive match. Its me or guy is some sort of anoying to deal with gen?
shouts out to big bird, great player.

different ways of doing C,mp in to hands:

1.- C.mp lp mp lp hp
2.- C.mp hp mp lk hp
3.- plink C.mp,lp twice, then hp
4.- plink C.mp,lp then slide your finger/hit lp mp hp
5.- plink C.mp,lp hp mp hp

I don’t think is a big contribution, but just for share :smiley: maybe some people like me dont feel good with the classic way do do it.

Ok thanks

Now that my mind is more at tune in matches and making the right calls I realize that I’m still in many ways an amateur when it comes to playing Gen. So I wonder if I’m alone in this wave of thought.

There’s something refreshing about actively thinking during a match, multiple scenarios playing out and trying to make the best of the situation. Some say once Gen is figured out that there is nothing special about him but we have barely scratched the surface of his potential.

In this lonely thread I ponder deeply what is the future of Gen, will he be unexplored or will someone emerge and show his true potential.

Finally learned a new combo for attacking low.

Cr.Lk s.Mp TC2 xx L.Gekiro 245 Damage. Instead of 205 BnB.

Today is a happy day, practicing FADC into Ultra with Gen and so far yielding great results. Gen can combo into U1 from a hit confirm and low attacks and Jyasen fadc, I wonder why I haven’t thought of this before. Each dealing 320-401 damage its not bad for fadc to ultra combo if u ask me.

Happy with my results. Now I can land Gen Ultra from fadc on 98% of the cast

Nice. But 98% and not 100%?

Too lazy to test on all, it works on all when close to the corner, the 98% is midscreen. Will upload later today or tomorrow

I guess it doesn’t work on 1 or 2 characters (like Blanka or Honda) ?

I’m looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Lol. I haven’t tested it on those 2. U can do it on balrog with your eyes closed.