The DeeJay Option Select Mega Guide

This post is all about DeeJay’s options vs opponents who like to backdash on their wakeup. DeeJay has options vs most characters but it varies from character to character. Setups for these are generally off of a hard knockdown (forward throw, cr.mk, or cr.hk). Some you can do off of a soft knockdown from light sobat.

A little lesson before the list:

If you don’t know, performing option selects with normals is pretty easy. Let’s say you want to input an option select with cr.mk to sweep a backdash. Consider a normal string like cr.lp cr.lp cr.mp fireball. To do an OS with the sweep, you simply press cr.mk at the same time as the second cr.lp. As long as you are chaining the jabs quickly, the cr.mk will only come out if the first jab whiffs. If you are OSing with standing normals, like a st.mk, your block string would look something like cr.lp, st.lk, cr.mp fireball, where you press st.mk at the same time as the st.lk. Call this “method 1.”

There is actually another way to do it. Let’s say you want to OS with st.hk, which is kind of slow. In between a chained cr.lp and st.lp, you hit st.hk (i.e. cr.lp, st.hk, st.lp in quick succession). Call this “method 2.” This is technically the better way to do it since you can time the st.hk to come out earlier than just hitting it at the same time as your chained light normal. I find it much harder though. There are some OS’s that work when using method 2 but not when using method 1. For example, I was able to OS st.hp against Elena using method 2 when the method 1 didn’t work, but the timing is very strict, and it was very hard to do consistently. I tried to test most of OS’s with normals using this method. I skipped any of the ones that needed charge, because you end up cancelling the normal which is bad. I made notes of the ones that only work using “method 2” but I may end up missing some. If I did miss any, the timing would be insanely strict. The ones marked with method 2 can only be done using method 2, and the timing is very strict. Otherwise, method 1 works.

OSing with specials is a bit different. Let’s say you want to OS with a light sobat. The input here is cr.lp then do the sobat. The timing of the button for the sobat is somewhere later than cancelling the cr.lp into it and before trying to link a cr.lp to it. If you do it right, you will get cr.lp, st.lk on block and a sobat should come out if the first cr.lp whiffs.

For OSing with ultra, it’s the same as OSing with a special . Do a cr.lp and input the ultra. If you cancel the cr.lp into super, you did it to fast. If you get cr.lp, ultra on block, you did it too slow.

To set up OS’s with specials you can whiff a slide after a knockdown to get in range for a meaty jab while maintaining charge.

On to the list. Below is the list of OS’s that I thought could be useful.

(A) cr.jab OS far.mk - This is the weakest one damage wise. Some characters get air reset and some don’t. Tested with method 2.
(B) cr.jab OS cr.mk - Standard sweep OS. Tested with method 2.
© cr.jab OS far.mp - This one is really cool because you can buffer sobats behind it. You can even confirm into an FADC. You need to be very close and have charge, so sliding in after a knockdown is the way to go. Here’s a quick video of it: https://youtu.be/un36eq7Oeig It’s a little awkward to keep your string going if they don’t backdash since there’s a bunch of buttons involved, but with some practice, I think it could be practical. Some characters get air reset by the st.mp which causes a follow up sobat to whiff, making this OS not so great vs them. Unfortunately, the timing to get this one to work varies a bit between characters. Some require it pretty quick and some need more of a delay. That only further serves to lower the practicality, but I just want to show whats possible. This one would take lots of practice to master. I didn’t test this one with “method 2” since the strong point of it is the sobat buffer, and I thought it would be way to hard to incorporate that with method 2 and keep it at all consistent.
(D) cr.jab OS far.hp - Doesn’t do as much damage as roundhouse but it comes out faster. I did tests with method 2.
(E) cr.jab OS far.hk - Slower than hp but more damage. Usually pretty strict timing when using method 1. Tested with method 2.
(F) cr.jab OS cr.hk - very slow but nets good damage and a hard knockdown. When I started this, I figured this wouldn’t work on very many characters since it is so slow, but I was surprised to find that if you time your meaty well and do your chains fast, it works on a large number of characters. You’ll need to be on top of your meaty timing and doing your chains as quick as possible to land this consistently using method 1. Tested with method 2.
(G) cr.jab OS lk.sobat - nice OS for a knockdown. No tests with method 2.
(H) cr.jab OS U1 - biggest damage OS. Attempting this against anyone that has a decent backdash requires pretty strict timing for it to work, which makes it pretty risky. No tests with method 2.
(I) cr.jab OS U2 - 2nd biggest damage OS. No tests with method 2.

There is another useful OS that isn’t indexed with a letter because it is nearly universal. If you safe jump OS slide, you will catch any backdash in the game except Chun and Fuerte. It’s done by hitting cr.hk during the hitstop of the jumpin. If it whiffs slide comes out, if it connects, it won’t. A useful one is f.throw, backdash, j.hk OS slide. 6 Frame safe jump also works vs Sagat and Cammy. Any other meaty jump in OS slide works as well, but that one is a nice canned setup. Especially useful vs Rose and Rog. A bit less usefully vs Rog since his reversal is 12 frames if you OS it you actually get counterhit out of slide.

Some of these punishes are very tight on the timing so if you are missing them, you just need to time your meaty better or do the OS faster. If you think there are any that I missed or see any errors at all, let me know.
Format is character - OS’s that work on them. Some have a note to delay it. This means delay it just a bit from the fastest timing you can do it. It’s generally assumed fastest timing and method 1 unless stated otherwise. Any time you see an asterisk, it means that they get air reset by the OS.

Decapre - (A), (D), (E), (F method 2)

Ryu - (A), (B), ©, (D), (E), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Ken - (A), (B), ©, (D), (E), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Honda - (A), (B), ©, (D), (E), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Ibuki - (A*), (D*), (E*), (F method 2), (G), (H)

Makoto - (E method 2), (F method 2), (G), (H)

Dudley - (A), (D), (E), (F), (G), (H)

Seth - (E), (F), (G), (H)

Gouken - (A), (B), ©, (D delay it a bit to get far fierce), (E strict timing. too early you whiff cl.hk, to late far.hk is blocked.), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Akuma - (A), (B), (C tight timing), (D), (E), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Gen - (A* method 2), (D* method 2), (E*), (F), (G), (H)

Dan - (A* method 2), (D* method 2), (E*), (F), (G), (H only half juggle)

Sakura - (A), (B), (D), (E), (F), (G), (H)

Oni - (A), (B), ©, (D*), (E), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Elena - (A), (D* method 2)

Yun - (A*), (D), (E strict timing. too early you whiff cl.hk, to late far.hk is blocked.), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Juri - (A* cl.mk comes out), (B), (D), (E strict timing. too early you whiff cl.hk, to late far.hk is blocked.), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Chun - (A* method 2)

Dhalsim - (A* method 2 gives you cl.mk), (D* method 2), (E), (F), (G), (H)

Abel - (A), (B), ©, (D), (E), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Viper - (A), (D), (E), (F), (G), (H catches backdash and beats wakeup ex seismo) (I doesn’t catch backdash, but it beats wakeup ex seismo and wakeup ex burnkick)

Dictator - (A), (B), (D), (E), (F), (G), (H)

Sagat - (A* cl.mk comes out), (B), (C*), (D*), (E strict timing. too early you whiff cl.hk, to late far.hk is blocked.), (F), (G), (H only half juggle), (I)

Cammy - (A), (D), (E), (F method 2)

DeeJay - (A), (B), ©, (D), (E), (F), (G), (H), (I beats backdash and wakup ex sobat)

Cody - (A), (B), ©, (D), (E), (F), (G), (H beats backdash and wakeup ex bingo), (I beats backdash and wakup ex bingo)

Guy - (A), (D), (E), (F), (G), (H)

Oiled Hakan - (A* method 2), (E* method 2), (G), (H)

Unoiled Hakan - (A*), (B), (C*), (D*), (E*), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Rolento - (A), (B), ©, (D), (E), (F), (G), (H beats backdash and half juggles wakeup roll), (I beats backdash and wakeup roll)

Poison - (A), (B method 2), (D method 2)

Evil Ryu - (A* method 2), (D method 2), (E), (F), (G), (H beats backdash and kicks teleport. punches teleport blocks the ultra)

Guile - (A*), ©, (D), (E), (F), (G), (H)

Blanka - (A* method 2 gives you cl.mk), (E), (F), (G), (H)

Zangief - (A), ©, (D), (E), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Rufus - (A* cl.mk comes out), (B), (C*), (D* delay it a bit for far fierce), (E* strict timing. too early you whiff cl.hk, to late far.hk is blocked.), (F), (G), (H, half juggle), (I)

Fuerte - (A), (B), (C very early), (D), (I)

Claw - (A*), (B), (C* very early), (D)

Boxer - (H)

Fei - (A*), (D*), (E), (F), (G), (H)

T. Hawk - (A*), (B), (C pretty early), (D*), (E), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Adon - (A), (B), (C a bit delayed), (D strict timing. too early gives you whiff close fierce, too late is blocked), (I)

Rose - (A* method 2), (D* method 2)

Yang - (A*), (C* a bit delayed), (D*), (E very strict timing. too early you whiff cl.hk, to late far.hk is blocked.), (F), (G), (H), (I)

Hugo - (A*), (B), (C*), (D*), (E*), (F), (G), (H half juggle), (I)

** reserved **

Buddha, I’m going to give this a super in-depth read through when I’m awake and prepared but I’d like to give a huge thank you for making this. It’s something I’ve needed for a LONG time. I’m sure everyone else who is…ahem, inactive - would appreciate this just as much, thanks a bunch for putting the work in dude!