The "Best" Anti-Airs

Blanka, Far stand round house is 3 frame and doesn’t trade. Practically a shoryuken. His close version, while slower, still has invulnerability on the legs making it still not trade. /thread Blanka wins.

PS: Don’t jump in on Ono, he carries a pocket Blanka…

I thought they reversed that change? *shrugs

Getting a hang of the annoying timing of Guile’s df roundhouse is worth it because it makes them float for a fierce flash kick follow up. Pretty neat stuff.

Wut bout Feilongs DP and st.HK and close st.HP

That it will, but it is still one of the scariest AAs about. It most likely is losing due to being mistimed with the 6f startup. It along side Juris cHP(look at its hitbox, its nearly twice sakuras jHP, though about the same as her cHP:3) While Juri has 2 of the best AA normals around hitbox wise, their startup can be a a detriment. Fortunately with 6 and 4 active frames respectively you can be a little early with them :3

Nope. I really really liked cr.mp as an AA so i’m pretty bummed it will be more prone to trading now. However i’m also excited about his 2 other improved AA’s. St.lk is fast and covers a nice angle but only does 40 damage. Guy’s far.hk is a bit slow but but still fast enough to react with, does a great 110 dmg and has a nice angle and also improved hitbox, it used to be prone to trading but i guess that is no longer a problem anymore.

*walks in, looks at anti-airs, walks out wondering why…

Regarding Seth’s DP, the followup inputs aren’t strict at all, dunno what do you mean by that. The good thing is his DP will never trade if you use the MP and HP version, it will beat any air moves pretty much.

I agree that the followup inputs aren’t hard. However they are also unnecessary IMO. In my mod of Seth I simply made it so that you just had to hit any punch button to get the follow ups (and removed negative edging them to prevent accidently getting 2 followups when you wanted only 1 or getting a followup at all when you released button after the initial DP.) it feels completely natural to me and logical.

RYU AE2012 ANTI AIR GUIDE:

KEY:
f- frames startup
dmg- damage
fi- frames of invincibility

The brackets mean how much damage a move would do if it doesn’t hit deep. Rule of thumb - you will do the amount of damage inside of the brackets when anti airing. Same goes with * marked moves, the 2nd number will usually be the damage amount when anti airing.

Jab DP: 3f - 100[70]dmg - 2fi
-if executed quickly or you score a trade, you can go into ultra without the use of meter.
-FADCable but not worth the meter because you usually can go straight into ultra no problem.
-NOT A VERY PRACTICAL ANTI AIR. JUST GOOD COMBOABILITY.

Strong DP: 3f - 80*50dmg - 6fi
-best anti air of Ryus. Get good at using this one consistently.
-Takes skill to use but when you got it, it’ll blow up fools all day.
-FADCable when hit deep for follow up ultra.

• Not even sure if it trades. It might in extremely niche situations.
    -Strong dp should be renamed Ol’ Reliable.

Fierce DP: 3f - 160[60]dmg - 5 Fi
-A personal favorite of mine. Nothing feels better than to land ridiculous damage off of a deep hp dp.
-Sorta weird arc it seems but feels so good when you hit it deep

• doesn’t trade too often, but it will.

Ex DP: 3f - 80*60 - 17 fi
-You don’t need 17 frames of invincibility for anti airing.
-arc is really good but is an uncommon situation where the arc will help you score an anti air.
-just save the bar. 6fi is enough.
-MP DP>EX DP for anti airing.

Now I’m gonna get into some normals.

Crouch feirce: 4f - 90dmg
-VERY EASY TO USE. Lots of active frames
-takes a little bit of timing but once mastered will rarely trade.
-Sends a message to the opponent that you can just master the skies consistently with 1 button.

• Often counter hits and scores nice damage.
    (random bragging) I did some work a few nights ago on PR balrog’s evil ryu with Ryus cr.hp.

Far standing roundhouse: 9f - 110dmg
-A lot of people like it
-Long range anti air

• Cool to use after fadcing fireballs to anti air
    Check out this clip by CCG Air vs Daigo online: (skip to 3:35 second mark)
    http://youtu.be/EaWX5J_H5wA?t=3m52s
    -Good for zoning grapplers

Stand fierce:
(Close: 5f - 100[80]) (Far: 8f - 120dmg)
-There’s something about this one I really like.

• (far St.hp) It starts up a frame faster than far standing roundhouse (8f>9f)
    -one of the biggest perks is that close fierce is also a good(ish) anti air. This button can be used to anti air close opponents and far opponents. It may not be clean of the time, but it gets the job done.
    -try it for yourself to see if you like it

Standing far strong and crouch strong:
(Crouch: 4f - 60dmg) (Far: 5f - 80dmg)
-both are meant for divekick AA
-crouching strong can be combined with crouchteching to destroy Rufus’s divekick/throw game.
-Stand strong works well vs yun and yang dive kicks from what I’ve seen from Alex Valle. Hard to use Imo.
-these don’t seem to work well vs cammy but I’ll go to the lab to get better results and update accordingly.

That’s about it. Reply back if you have any contributions, hate mail, or errors you find in my data or breakdown.
I am fairly new player but I know Ryu’s moves pretty well. I could always use a little help, though.

Hey, somebody else who liked Ryu’s stand fierce for AA! It’s my go to “I know I’m better than you scrub, stop jumping” AA. It deals solid damage, gives an air reset for starting offense, and is a good general mindfuck because it’s not nearly used for AA as most of Ryu’s stuff.

It’s a tough question. Hakan’s Ultra 2 is absolutely the best I reckon. But I could be wrong.

• Has the damage
  • Fast Startup = 1 frame
  • Has the ease of execution, so you can do it on reaction. D, D, D + KKK

Many of the anti-airs mentioned, depend on timing and spacing. And when tailored against certain jumpins, can be difficult.

3x down + 3K is kind of an awkward input but other than that yeah it’s prob the best AA in the game hands down.

Technically it’s probably inferior to far roundhouse but it just seems to work sometimes and it looks badass

The main appeal is the mindfuckery. Plus I think it recovers a bit faster than s.rh.

Lighting the @Eternal signal

You don’t like Ryu far short Jiggly? That’s about as mind fuck as you can get…

I like it to close rounds, but it has two big problems: very low damage, and if you mistime it you get close short which, unlike close fierce, leaves you completely free to eat the full jump in punish combo.

Stand short is really good in the Adon matchup though. With good timing it’ll poke him right out of both walldives and Jagga Keys. Timing is strict though. Nothing mindfucks an Adon like making them realize they can’t just chip you for free midscreen.

That’s literally like 0 damage doe

T.Hawk’s HP Tomahawk is a great AA if you have the reactions for it. The 4 first active frames are invulnerable to everything but airthrows, the start-up has a low profile, and it deals 160 damage and 200 stun, and gives you a pretty good position afterwards.

nope!

Far HP has a 20% larger hitbox than far HK. The hitbox is also positioned higher up from the hurtbox and the hurtbox size is lower in height. Also it does 10 more damage than far HK and has 1F faster startup. The advantage Far HK has is that it reaches vertically higher up and it has 1F more active.