The Art of Dive Kicking

Coming from a Chun Li background, I am used to being 100% ground based unless I go air to air.

Granted Yangs dive kick isnt as good as Yuns but he has one, and it can be used.

What is the best way to challenge peoples anti airs? Shotos, nonshotos etc

The best way would be to use the Q&A thread for what its for.

This could potentially have a lot of information though, as you can go character by character discussing strategies for how to use the dive kick. Seems like too big of a topic for the QA as one person can contribute for one character, another person a different character etc…

The best way to challenge them in my experience is just like other characters; don’t do it unless you’re willing to take the risk or you have a set up. Yang’s j.MK serves this purpose. Its a good cross up, its a good combo starter and its target combo is a God send against focus attacks. Yang’s dive kick should only be used in the corner for ambiguous cross up set ups or if you’re punishing a low poke, like Ryu’s cr.MK. The problem with Yang’s dive kick is the cursed landing frames, so most of the time using it even as a block starter isn’t worth it because you can get Dragon punched so easily.

Hello all,
Thank you ChaosxPaladin for your advices! do you know the block stun disadvantage on the Yang divekicks ?
According to what you say I understand that there are no safe divekicks with yang. Even if I try to do that properly on the feet (or on the law part) of my opponent it is not safe too ?
Thank you for sharing your knowledge

Yang’s dive kick can lead into a true block string if you hit low enough. You can’t really “punish” characters for doing moves like Ryu’s cr.MK either; it’s just using your dive kicks to compliment your footsie game (which is how most of them should be used.) I’m assuming you have to use dive kick sometimes on their knockdowns with j.MK otherwise people will wise up and autocorrect it. I wouldn’t use his dive kick like Yun’s though unless your opponent relies on somewhat strict timing normals for AAs

Character forums too dead.

which brings up another point, we need a yun/yang facebook group

master yang’s dive kick pressure is pretty tough.
you really gotta find that sweet spot range for whatever offensive pressure you’re fishing for.

I find it useful you bait for a cr.mk or something and you just catch them with a dive kick.

Opponents dp reads have to be complete reads, because just like footsies, you can neutral jump for that air menta game.

But be careful with dive kick pressure, especially when you push them into the corner. in the corner dive kicks are more easier to read than in mid stage. too much and the wrong height can be punished pretty bad. Especially when you dive kick at shoulder hit box, they can focus attack and crumple you.